Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Gamethread: Magic @ Bobcats 11/16/08

Awesome!

A win without a shot made by Dwight.

When Superman takes a night off, Batman is ready to step in.

Three in a row, road warriors again playing awful basketball.

I'll take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Chikwaters:

Ugliest game I've seen so far,but I'd take "ugly" over a lost game anytime!

Is this Dwight's first 0 FG game?

He got one vs. the Nets last season, I believe. I'm sure he's had at least another, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Engel:

boring game...but don't get me wrong, any time the Magic win i'm happy.

...I'm all for picking up marbury or tinsley after seeing AJ these first 10 games. He can't do anything right.

larry brown type game

quote:
Originally posted by Chikwaters:

Ugliest game I've seen so far,but I'd take "ugly" over a lost game anytime!

Is this Dwight's first 0 FG game?

5th career zero FG game, 3 in his rookie season, that NJ game from the 06/07 season and this Bobcats game...

Okay so who's Superman, who's Batman, and who's Robin?? I'm confused.

Come to think of it, Hedo kinda looks like the Vulture from Spiderman comic fame.

Stock Up:

Jameer Nelson. (Leadership? Is it too soon to use the "L" word? Okay, I'll cool my jets on that one... for now. 15 points on 7 of 10 shooting, 5 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, and only one turnover. He really took over the game in the third quarter when Dwight had to leave with his 4th foul, so his stock his mostly up for that well-timed aggressiveness as well as his solid contain defense in the 4th quarter.)

Turnovers. (Consistency. 2nd straight game with 13 turnovers. It's not great, but it's not killing us either.)

Mickael Pietrus. (He got in foul trouble, but did you notice SVG didn't keep him out of the 4th quarter this time? Good boy. Air France got 18 points on over 50% shooting with 2 threes made, 4 boards, 2 steals, a block, and 3 TOs. The turnovers are a little high, but more than enough good things to make up for it including a huge highlight reel tip in late in the 4th.)

Hedo Turkoglu. (He helped fend off Charlotte in the 4th quarter, even hit a couple of pull-up 20 footers. Very reminiscent of when Hedo was rolling in the 4th quarters last season. 20 points, 3 boards, 4 assists, and only ONE turnover, which is very big.)

Rashard Lewis. (Even though he had 20 points (EDIT: make that 17), 6 boards and an assist, his Stock Up is for making 3 threes and getting 3 blocks. Nice to see the outside shot going and he did well protecting the basket without a lot of Dwight out there.)

Tony Battie. (Again he stepped up pretty big with Dwight in foul trouble. Not as big as against Philly, but plenty good enough. 9 points on 4 of 5 shooting, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. One of those blocks was no cheapie by any means, either. For the past week or two he's been making his fair share of mistakes, but he's doing his job and doing it well, especially when it's most needed.)

Stock In The Middle:

Keith Bogans. (He had 7 points, 3 boards, and 2 assists total. He didn't turn the ball over, although he scared me with near-misses a few times.

For the first three quarters, he was Down. Shot over in the lane by Adam Morrison, Beat off the dribble by Matt Carroll, for goodness' sake. But he hit a big three and two free throws after saving a near-turnover pass down the stretch of the game. Hedo, Pietrus, and Bogans really sealed it down the stretch. So good for KeBo when it counted, but a lot of cringe-worthy moments for the first 42 minutes of the game as well.)

Stock Down:

Dwight Howard. (Clark Kent forgot his costume. Massive foul trouble, 4 points on only free throws, 7 boards, 3 assists, 5 blocks, and 2 steals. Even what by his standards is a TERRIBLE game... at least he had the five blocks and two steals, he managed to shoot 4-6 from the FT line which is good, and again... only 1 turnover. Which is especially impressive because Charlotte was running hard double teams at him whenever he got the ball in the post.

Charlotte's strategy was to take Dwight away and make the Magic shoot from the outside. Well between them, ticky-tack refs, and Dwight not really playing all that smart out there, it worked.

Something tells me Jermaine O'Neal is gonna have a difficult Tuesday night on his hands though.)

3 Point Shooting. (7 of 26 for 27%. Yeah, that's uh... that's not very efficent. World class analysis, huh?)

Anthony Johnson. (0-5 shooting. 2 boards. An assist. A turnover. 15 minutes played. Yawn.

This is why I thought we were getting this guy to be our THIRD point guard.)

Courtney Lee & J.J. Redick. (Lee played for five minutes? Redick played for 3? I don't remember seeing them. Oh, except when J.J. had that stupid turnover right to Gerald Wallace.)

I was gonna be a smart*ss and give a Stock Up to our free throw defense because Charlotte was only 18 of 27 from the charity stripe, but I decided to be nice. For once.

So the Magic DO go 3-0 on the road trip to raise their record to 7-3 and into a half game lead for the SE Division! Yay us, thanks Jersey.

I'm now off to root against Terrell Owens from sinking me in fantasy. So until the Magic get some home cooking before they play Toronto on Tuesday....

Good night and good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Okay so who's Superman, who's Batman, and who's Robin?? I'm confused.

Come to think of it, Hedo kinda looks like the Vulture from Spiderman comic fame.

Stock Up:

Jameer Nelson. (Leadership? Is it too soon to use the "L" word? Okay, I'll cool my jets on that one... for now. 15 points on 7 of 10 shooting, 5 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, and only one turnover. He really took over the game in the third quarter when Dwight had to leave with his 4th foul, so his stock his mostly up for that well-timed aggressiveness as well as his solid contain defense in the 4th quarter.)

Turnovers. (Consistency. 2nd straight game with 13 turnovers. It's not great, but it's not killing us either.)

Mickael Pietrus. (He got in foul trouble, but did you notice SVG didn't keep him out of the 4th quarter this time? Good boy. Air France got 18 points on over 50% shooting with 2 threes made, 4 boards, 2 steals, a block, and 3 TOs. The turnovers are a little high, but more than enough good things to make up for it including a huge highlight reel tip in late in the 4th.)

Hedo Turkoglu. (He helped fend off Charlotte in the 4th quarter, even hit a couple of pull-up 20 footers. Very reminiscent of when Hedo was rolling in the 4th quarters last season. 20 points, 3 boards, 4 assists, and only ONE turnover, which is very big.)

Rashard Lewis. (Even though he had 20 points, 6 boards and an assist, his Stock Up is for making 3 threes and getting 3 blocks. Nice to see the outside shot going and he did well protecting the basket without a lot of Dwight out there.)

Tony Battie. (Again he stepped up pretty big with Dwight in foul trouble. Not as big as against Philly, but plenty good enough. 9 points on 4 of 5 shooting, 7 boards, and 2 blocks. One of those blocks was no cheapie by any means, either. For the past week or two he's been making his fair share of mistakes, but he's doing his job and doing it well, especially when it's most needed.)

Stock In The Middle:

Keith Bogans. (He had 7 points, 3 boards, and 2 assists total. He didn't turn the ball over, although he scared me with near-misses a few times.

For the first three quarters, he was Down. Shot over in the lane by Adam Morrison, Beat off the dribble by Matt Carroll, for goodness' sake. But he hit a big three and two free throws after saving a near-turnover pass down the stretch of the game. Hedo, Pietrus, and Bogans really sealed it down the stretch. So good for KeBo when it counted, but a lot of cringe-worthy moments for the first 42 minutes of the game as well.)

Stock Down:

Dwight Howard. (Clark Kent forgot his costume. Massive foul trouble, 4 points on only free throws, 7 boards, 3 assists, 5 blocks, and 2 steals. Even what by his standards is a TERRIBLE game... at least he had the five blocks and two steals, he managed to shoot 4-6 from the FT line which is good, and again... only 1 turnover. Which is especially impressive because Charlotte was running hard double teams at him whenever he got the ball in the post.

Charlotte's strategy was to take Dwight away and make the Magic shoot from the outside. Well between them, ticky-tack refs, and Dwight not really playing all that smart out there, it worked.

Something tells me Jermaine O'Neal is gonna have a difficult Tuesday night on his hands though.)

3 Point Shooting. (7 of 26 for 27%. Yeah, that's uh... that's not very efficent. World class analysis, huh?)

Anthony Johnson. (0-5 shooting. 2 boards. An assist. A turnover. 15 minutes played. Yawn.

This is why I thought we were getting this guy to be our THIRD point guard.)

Courtney Lee & J.J. Redick. (Lee played for five minutes? Redick played for 3? I don't remember seeing them. Oh, except when J.J. had that stupid turnover right to Gerald Wallace.)

I was gonna be a smart*ss and give a Stock Up to our free throw defense because Charlotte was only 18 of 27 from the charity stripe, but I decided to be nice. For once.

So the Magic DO go 3-0 on the road trip to raise their record to 7-3 and into a half game lead for the SE Division! Yay us, thanks Jersey.

I'm now off to root against Terrell Owens from sinking me in fantasy. So until the Magic get some home cooking before they play Toronto on Tuesday....

Good night and good luck.

thnk you sky.. one thing lewis didnt score 20