Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

If Lee plays the "2"...J.J. is 3rd string again

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

No hate for JJ, but I'm with BJ here.

Overreacting after two (2) preaseason game is normal after a long summer without Magic basketball, and I can understand it.

BUT, every player in every league have to show that he can play on the regular season and on playoffs games.

Until now, K-Bo has showed that (last year, even when he wasn't the starter, he's often finished the games instead of Mo) JJ has not.

Coming mid-season, if JJ will show that he can play well on both sides of the court and he'll gain his spot in the rotation, I will be very happy for THE TEAM (and BJ will be too I believe)

But this isn't the case yet...

I agree completely with your analysis Luke. In no way am I saying that JJ is going to be a regular contributor or a much better defender or anything else. The only thing I have to go by is the first two preseason games and I don't put a whole lot of stock in them either. For the same reason, I'm not writing off Bogans as a contributor either...although its less likely he will get minutes with Pietrus and Lee in front of him.

My problem with this thread was it was created simply because JJ was playing well and Junkie for whatever inexplicable reason is determined to temper that.

quote:
Originally posted by mnewballer21:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

So let me get this straight, you don't want him to play well because people will come in here and praise him? You really hate the guy so much that any credit thrown his way annoys you? There will always be die hard fans that will worship him, but I can't understand why that bothers you. You need to clear your head and look at this objectively.

I don't care if he sucks or if he plays decently well (as I'm not a hater or a fan of his), but I would like for him to be at least able to come in and shoot the ball for a couple minutes and then sit back down before his defense hurts us. What I don't get is precisely what you said there, "There will always be die hard fans that will worship him." I know that that is true, but that is my biggest complaint, they can't see rationally what is best for the Magic because they are more worried about him, when he is destined to be a back up in this league, nothing more, even if he plays as well as he can. I know Duke has a ton of fans all over, but did they really all become Magic fans just because of JJ Redick. Please tell me this is not like Tennessee fans and how 90% of them wear Indianapolis Colts stuff everywhere like its their hometown team because of Peyton Manning.

All i'm saying is why do people even pay attention to waht die hard fans say? Why does it bother you or Junkie? It's the same thing with Carlos fans. He'll always be the best point guard in the world and everyone who disagrees with this is either blind or stupid. How can you help but not laugh at stuff like that.

I don't let what other people say cloud my judgement about a player.

quote:

No hate for JJ, but I'm with BJ here.

Overreacting after two (2) preaseason game is normal after a long summer without Magic basketball, and I can understand it.

BUT, every player in every league have to show that he can play on the regular season and on playoffs games.

Until now, K-Bo has showed that (last year, even when he wasn't the starter, he's often finished the games instead of Mo) JJ has not.

Coming mid-season, if JJ will show that he can play well on both sides of the court and he'll gain his spot in the rotation, I will be very happy for THE TEAM (and BJ will be too I believe)

But this isn't the case yet...

This is bigger than just these two preseon games. I agree with you, it's way to early to declare anything at this point. But it isn't to early to say that Redick has clearly improved his game.

Junkie can't admit that. He'll never admit it. He's had a vendetta for years now and he'll never acknowledge anything positive Redick does. At the end of the day the best players will play, but unlike Junkie, I won't be pissed if one of those guys is Redick.

Redick's last Preseason averages (six games):

MPG = 30

PPG = 11.6

FG% = 47%

3FG% = 48%

FT% = 85%

APG = 2.33

RPG = 2.83

He really played alot more last year on a team that did win 5 out of 6 preseason games. I hope he does get a chance, but just because he scored 24 pts in around 30 minutes of action this year, doesn't guarantee anything.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

My problem with this thread was it was created simply because JJ was playing well and Junkie for whatever inexplicable reason is determined to temper that.

Can understand it but:

1) In the last few days seems that the only player on the team was JJ... and I wonder how many people that are praising him had really see one of those two games.

2) In the last few days seems that the only player on the team was JJ... and I wonder what's happening to other players that we barely know (MP, AJ, MW).

3) In this same thread, BJ had written that is time to trade his favourite player... something that I doubt a JJ fan would ever admit.

At the end of the day, I think that BJ fault was only overreacting at a ton of JJ posts.

Everyone is using against him the fact that the most important thing is the TEAM, but at the same time very few people seem to be really interested to that, and they're always writing a JJ's comedy that is going on for about three years right now...

BTW, I'm not BJ lawyer...

:=)

Everyone has praised Peaches for his defense and his surprising offensive output as well.

Everyone has praised AJ for doing what he does best, being AJ. Going out and facilitating the offense and being a veteran presence on the floor.

Nobody has praised Wilks that much because the guy just got his first run last night and played for 10 minutes in a blowout game.

quote:

quote:

Can understand it but:

1) In the last few days seems that the only player on the team was JJ... and I wonder how many people that are praising him had really see one of those two games.

2) In the last few days seems that the only player on the team was JJ... and I wonder what's happening to other players that we barely know (MP, AJ, MW).

3) In this same thread, BJ had written that is time to trade his favourite player... something that I doubt a JJ fan would ever admit.

At the end of the day, I think that BJ fault was only overreacting at a ton of JJ posts.

Everyone is using against him the fact that the most important thing is the TEAM, but at the same time very few people seem to be really interested to that, and they're always writing a JJ's comedy that is going on for about three years right now...

BTW, I'm not BJ lawyer...

:=)

I've seen alot of discussions on the other players that you've mentioned (mainly Pietrus) but I will admit that JJ has received more attention than what would normally be expected. I think there is a reason for that.....shock. I was positive, and I doubt that I was alone here, that JJ was a bust. I was pretty upset when rumors had it that JJ was the hold up in a potential trade with Memphis. So yes, I'm pretty astounded that JJ might actually be an important contributor this season. I'm not saying he will be, but this is by far the best he has played since his Duke days.

I also wouldn't put to much credence in Junkie saying we should trade Bogans. If Otis manages to get a deal for Bogans and JJ is still a member of this squad he will hit the fan. Mark my words.

The lawyer comment was pretty funny.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Everyone has praised Peaches for his defense and his surprising offensive output as well.

Everyone has praised AJ for doing what he does best, being AJ. Going out and facilitating the offense and being a veteran presence on the floor.

Nobody has praised Wilks that much because the guy just got his first run last night and played for 10 minutes in a blowout game.

Sure, some people do, but it was like an actor appearing for some minutes in a movie, while JJ seem to be the main character.

I have no intention (and no time) to count the number of posts in the last three days that were speaking about JJ, MP and AJ, but I think it's pretty fair to assume that was a 60/20/20 situation.

Are we forgetting that MP will be our starting SG and a key for future success, as AJ will be our one and only backup for Jameer right now?

One last example: in the second post of this same thread I was writing:

quote:

1)64/73 on FT shooting is a pretty good %. I really hope we can keep it all season long.

2) AJ, 13 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers. Is he really a pass first PG? How is his defense working?

Anyone has answered or commented that.

Is this the team love we're speaking about?

quote:

I also wouldn't put to much credence in Junkie saying we should trade Bogans. If Otis manages to get a deal for Bogans and JJ is still a member of this squad he will hit the fan. Mark my words.

In fairness to Ball Junkie, he was a pretty strong advocate of trading Bogans to Memphis in the potential J-Crit deal.

I've always liked JJ's game more than most of the rational posters here, but I still question his future here.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

In fairness to Ball Junkie, he was a pretty strong advocate of trading Bogans to Memphis in the potential J-Crit deal.

I've always liked JJ's game more than most of the rational posters here, but I still question his future here.

There are rational posters here?

I'm sorry Junkie, I really enjoy your post on here but I can't agree with this one. It really seems like you got a lot of JJ hate in your blood. JJ has been really good so far, and looks like he is going to be the first guard off the bench. And I think he's going to be a big contributor to us. Most of JJ's minutes yesterday were in 1st qtr where they had a total of 9 pts. It can't be that bad. Lee is gonna get his minutes too though.

BJ, I find most of your posts full of basketball knowledge and I take everything you say with high regard.. But come on man, this is bad...JJ has played very solid..Plain and simple..and basing our judgement on this years pre-season JJ has completely outplayed Bogans...I mean just take a look at the numbers from JUST the first game..

Game 1 of this preseason:

JJ-19:08 mins 12 points 1 stl,1 blk, 0 To's...and quite solid defense for whom he was guarding..

Bogans-12:00 mins pretty much a goose egg, except he had a turnover..and the team against us went off for 45 points...

Now by no means do I feel JJ is an all around better player than Bogans, but I do feel JJ deserves to play with his hard work, and pure will to be a good player for a good team.If Bogans felt the same way he would have come out with lightning in his eyes trying to prove why JJ should be behinde him in the lineup..But he didn't..Just came out and looked like D league garbage... Bogans has the seniority factor on JJ.(That and the occasional game where he plays solid D) but honestly now that we have Pietrus who is much more capable than Bogans and JJ being that change of pace player off of the bench that we so desperately needed last year. and BJ, I watched both games and Lee to me was very unimpressive and played just as solid as Shannon Brown.....I hope for the sake of the team Lee turns out to be what everyone hopes..But as of now I don't feel too positive.

Putting stock into the preseason is usually a bad move, but if it weren't for the fact JJ got hurt last year in the preseason, he would have had logged many more minutes in the beginning of the season and had a productive year...

I hope for Bogans sake that he is traded to a team that needs a back up 2 that can play decent D and has a mediocre 3 ball.