Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

If Lee plays the "2"...J.J. is 3rd string again

It is no doubt the play of our backcourt will determine whether this team improves or not this year.

Pietrus alone is a huge upgrade over any SG we had last season. His size, athletism and tenacity on defence gives us something we sorely lacked last year.

His ability to post up and attack the rim also keeps teams from putting their weakest defender on him, which was happened a lot last year. Opponents loved to have their bigger SG defend Jameer because the extra size gives him problems, while a smaller PG only had to stand near our SG who would spot up on three line and not move. If that happens now, Stan immediately calls a play to isolate and post up Pietrus.

AJ is the best backup PG we have had since Darrel Armstrong filled that role. The guy does a heck of a job getting the ball to the open guy.

Add in an improved JJ and a young but talented Lee and I think our backcourt will be able to hold their own for once instead of being a weakness that other teams exploit.

You thread title is a little deceiving as I assume you mean Lee will pass JJ over time because according to Schmitz, Redick is now 2nd string. Also I really do not believe we ever thought that they were going to turn Lee into a full time point guard so I always assumed he would play the 2. So now Lee has passed JJ with one good pre-season game but Lee was a scrub in his first summer league game?

Here is the stuff from Schmitz.

Van Gundy is admittedly not comfortable juggling four shooting guards, although GM Otis Smith said he has no problem keeping them all.

Van Gundy said Redick has moved ahead of Bogans and Lee.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ct09,0,7923255.story

Will you guys cut the crap with the J.J. Kool-Aid stuff...were you guys really watching the game???

Any friggin' time J.J. is isolated on the wing playing defense he is toast. Matt Friggin Carroll went right by him the first time he had a chance to...and he's not even a guy that tries to get to the hole! He tried it again the next time but thankfully J.J. got his slow feet moving enough to cut the baseline off.

Did you guys see Lee's defense??? D-A-M-N! One on one he is great and even better playing off the ball...I just watched a tape of the 4th quarter again...I can gaurantee you the guys he was checking were more thletic than Matt Carroll.

I was just thinking about this this morning but didn't post it because I didn't want to get to many feathers ruffled...Oh Well, since Mike Bianchi printed this in the Sentinel what the H-E-L-L...

quote:

As the months and years pass with J.J. sitting on the bench, you keep thinking the obsession might fade, but it just keeps getting stronger. It was fueled once again this week when the Magic picked up the option on J.J.'s contract and Van Gundy said that if the season started now J.J. would be in the rotation.

Translation: "Hey, Magic fans, get your season tickets today!"

As long as Van Gundy is telling fans what they want to hear, why doesn't he also declare Shaq is coming back, the Pistons have moved to the Western Conference and there will be free beer at the arena this season?

Season tickets...I've honestly thought this since the day he was drafted. Judging from all the empty seats(the 13,000 reported is only ticket sales) the need J.J. Redick. Especially in light of the fact they let another ticket draw go(Carlos). If you don't think that is a consideration you are crazy...making money is the bottom line.

You guys will see soon enough...take your Redick colored glasses off.

Oh Yeah, read Bianchi's article if you get a chance...It's funny!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi0908oct09,0,250617.column

Are you seriously using Bianchi to back up what you are saying? The option was picked up to sell season tickets?? Come on Junkie you know better than that. No way after everything that has happened were they going to let JJ just walk for nothing after this year, picking up the option was the only correct choice.

As far as his D, I was there and you know darn well that I am very objective when it comes to the players on this team. When JJ first came in he got beat a couple of times, after he settled down he did a fine job on D. He shadowed Carroll the rest of the time and was boxing out Seam May who I would imagine he gives up 50lbs to. Before the end of the half he cut off Carroll and forced a turnover then got to the other end of the court and drained a jumper, thats solid.

See what's funny right now is you have me defending JJ. I've been very critical of his D (rightly so) and now he is showing improvement so I am stating what I see. There is nothing wrong with giving the guy some praise for finally putting in the work where it was needed.

you are harping on a single play bj. get over it. besides, carroll didnt score, what more could you ask for? and, matt carroll does drive to the basket a lot, hes a hard nosed cat.

im not asking you to like jj, and in fact, i enjoy reading your rants sometimes, so keep it up. it just surprises me that you would rather bash a player on our team thats playing very well than commend how well the team is playing as a group. it just shows that you have blinders on...no worries though, as long as the magic are winning, the accolades will outweigh the criticism.

go magic!

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

OMG OMG OMG MIKE BIANCHI. LET IT BE WRITTEN BY MIKE BIANCHI.

OMG I WONDER IF BIANCHI WILL BABYSIT MY UNBORN CHILD SOMEDAY. OMG OMG OMG.

for a minute there, i thought you said unicorn child...wow

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Are you seriously using Bianchi to back up what you are saying? The option was picked up to sell season tickets?? Come on Junkie you know better than that. No way after everything that has happened were they going to let JJ just walk for nothing after this year, picking up the option was the only correct choice.

As far as his D, I was there and you know darn well that I am very objective when it comes to the players on this team. When JJ first came in he got beat a couple of times, after he settled down he did a fine job on D. He shadowed Carroll the rest of the time and was boxing out Seam May who I would imagine he gives up 150lbs to. Before the end of the half he cut off Carroll and forced a turnover then got to the other end of the court and drained a jumper, thats solid.

See what's funny right now is you have me defending JJ. I've been very critical of his D (rightly so) and now he is showing improvement so I am stating what I see. There is nothing wrong with giving the guy some praise for finally putting in the work where it was needed.

Agree Mark. This is a professional basketball team. Stan Van Gundy is not playing JJ to sell tickets. People will buy tickets if the team is good not if JJ is playing. I also think the economy would have more of an impact on ticket sales not JJ.

Like you Mark and alot of people I have been critical of JJ and never agreed with the pick though at the time it looked good on paper because the team really had no outside shooting.

If we can turn a player who alot of us thought was useless and give him a spot in the rotation that should be a win, win for the fans and the team not for any particular player that you are cheering for to succeed.

Again SVG is very smart so if he feels Lee is outplaying JJ during the season I am sure he will put him above him and vice-versa. It would be a nice problem to have behind Air Peaches don't you think.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

As far as his D, I was there and you know darn well that I am very objective when it comes to the players on this team. When JJ first came in he got beat a couple of times, after he settled down he did a fine job on D. He shadowed Carroll the rest of the time and was boxing out Seam May who I would imagine he gives up 50lbs to. Before the end of the half he cut off Carroll and forced a turnover then got to the other end of the court and drained a jumper, thats solid.

actually sean may is 269, jj 196. so, thats 73pounds. thats probably 73 very smelly pounds he was holding off...

I think the issue, or at least part of it, is recognizing what "he's improved his defense" actually means. He's still one of the weakest defenders on the team, and no one, at least no one with a rational head, is suggesting otherwise. It's a matter of relativity, but his defense his better when compared to it's relative level of previous years.

Or to put it in arbitrary numerical comparison, if I were to rate our SGs for defense on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Pietrus between a 7.5-8, Lee as a 6, Bogans as a 5, and JJ as a 4.5. He's still the weakest defender of the bunch, but I'd have given him a 2 at most last year, so his improvement is very noticeable. But noticeable improvement doesn't automatically make you a good defender.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I think the issue, or at least part of it, is recognizing what "he's improved his defense" actually means. He's still one of the weakest defenders on the team, and no one, at least no one with a rational head, is suggesting otherwise. It's a matter of relativity, but his defense his better when compared to it's relative level of previous years.

Or to put it in arbitrary numerical comparison, if I were to rate our SGs for defense on a scale of 1-10, I'd rate Pietrus between a 7.5-8, Lee as a 6, Bogans as a 5, and JJ as a 4.5. He's still the weakest defender of the bunch, but I'd have given him a 2 at most last year, so his improvement is very noticeable. But noticeable improvement doesn't automatically make you a good defender.

Agreed. All I ever hoped for out of the guy was passable, just not getting killed while he was on the floor. If he can do that, then we can use him in the rotation so we can get that offense that he brings on the floor. If that is in our 2nd unit then we don't have to worry as much about keeping leads.