zollman1

Magic exercise Team Option on JJ Redick

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

The plot thickens...I'm gonna have to start making some phone calls.

What plot?

I think Junkie is writing a Magic themed mystery novel.

I thought it was a trashy romance?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Dazzle:

I think Bogans is gone. I think Otis wanted to break JJ's spirit and make him work hard and become a little more humble. The NBA is a lot different from college and I think JJ has put in the time and is ready to handle his business. I hope he gets his shot this year. I say trade Bogans because he has more value then JJ right now.

What ever value Bogans had went flying into the stands in the 3rd quarter last night.....like his crap pass.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

If they did not do it, JJ would have been an Unrestricted FA next summer.

No, he would have been a restricted FA, meaning we still could have matched any offers that came for JJ.

An update in the Sentinel article, as SVG says JJ would be in the rotation if the season starts today:

quote:
The Magic not only picked up the option for the fourth year of his contract, at $2.8 million, but Coach Stan Van Gundy said Redick would be in the roation if the season started now. ...SNIP...

"We'll see where it goes. But if I had to play a game tomorrow, if I had to play one that meant something tomorrow, which I don't, I have three weeks . . . but if I did tomorrow, he'd be in the rotation," Van Gundy said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...0708,0,2807804.story

It seems like JJ might (finally) be getting a chance... either that, or we're doing a good job showing him off - but my impresssion is that Stan would tend to talk straight to the media, being truthful about his feelings.

quote:
Originally posted by Nike:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

If they did not do it, JJ would have been an Unrestricted FA next summer.

No, he would have been a restricted FA, meaning we still could have matched any offers that came for JJ.

An update in the Sentinel article, as SVG says JJ would be in the rotation if the season starts today:

quote:
The Magic not only picked up the option for the fourth year of his contract, at $2.8 million, but Coach Stan Van Gundy said Redick would be in the roation if the season started now. ...SNIP...

"We'll see where it goes. But if I had to play a game tomorrow, if I had to play one that meant something tomorrow, which I don't, I have three weeks . . . but if I did tomorrow, he'd be in the rotation," Van Gundy said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...0708,0,2807804.story

It seems like JJ might (finally) be getting a chance... either that, or we're doing a good job showing him off - but my impresssion is that Stan would tend to talk straight to the media, being truthful about his feelings.

Or JJ worked hard enough on D that he made himself passable, which is exactly what everyone said all along. That along with the roster being more in his favor is what needed to happen.

Well, considering that JJ played well last night, I hope it would be a brand new year for JJ.

If anything, IMO, this deal only increases his trade value, assuming that he plays well throughout the season. The value of him being an RFA rather than a UFA will be much higher.

I think the move is a risk, but I believe JJ's competitiveness will make this a good move by Otis.

For those of you that haven't witnessed this team play, and that goes to all that weren't at game 1 of the pre season, you have no idea how much better JJ is.

I am not talking about shooting, we know he can do that, and he did. But the guy was very, very, very active on defense, and was the first guy off the bench in the first along with Tony Battie.

He got a blocked shot, a few lay ups, and just overall looked like a basketball player.

We need not get rid of this guy, it'd be a mistake. He'll be our Steve Kerr, just watch.

This is the year guys, so excited.

My suggestion is to trade Bogans and throw in the TE or Cook as filler to get somebody better, since both are expirings.

What I am afraid of is all this talk will get us all hyped on JJ and then the Magic use that hype to work a deal.

As I said in the other thread, we can get much better return for JJ than we could for Keith.

Could JJ and maybe a pick down the road net us a Speights?

Keith could get us.... ummm.... some donuts? A trade exception?

I must admit, I have never understood the love for JJ on this board, or the hate for KBogans. Yes, JJ was a college all-star, and Keith was a starter, but not a star. And yet, it has taken JJ a couple of years on the bench to get into the weight room, and work on his defense to the point where he might be ready to earn his minutes; meanwhile Keith has worked on improving his outside shooting and earned playing time and occasionally starting minutes every year he has been in the league, with two different teams. I have to say, JJ may have more potential with his text-book shooting; but to date Keith has done a lot more to make the most of what abilities he does have.

Keith is now, and probably should have always been a back-up SG/SF; but without the Keith Bogans of the world challenging them for playing time, would Maurice Evans or DeShawn Stevenson be the players they now are. I take my hat off to him, and hope he can push JJ, CLee, and MPietrus to continue to improve their games. I want a Keith Bogans on my team just waiting for one of them to get complacent. He is the type of player that keeps them honest and working. Give the man his due!

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Krispy Kreme

Mmmmm....Donuts!

Please remember people, this was one game. JJ won round 1 (yes I was at the game), remember Pat Garrity blowing up pre-season games the last two years if you need a point of reference.

I supported the JJ pick and hope he finally pays off for us, but JJ has a lot to prove before we insert him in our regular season lineup.

My opinion on this whole JJ situation is that they are going to keep JJ for this year and next and see how he plays in a regular rotation. We all know already that bogans is not a very good player and I wouldnt even label him solid he was very inconsistent on both sides of the court. One night or two bogans will shoot great get you about 12-15pts the next nothing maybe a 3-pointer or two. There isnt much to his offense other than his shots from the corner. His defense was also all over the place last year, he had his moments where he would defend well but it wasnt often. He might have played well enough last year to be ahead of JJ but this year it wont be enough. Now JJ on the other hand is great on offense, a very consistent player on the offense. His defense is questionable but he is young and he can work on it. While he will never be great on defense he can atleast be decent like his defense was last night. There should be no reason they cant find JJ enough time even with lee and pietrus. Lee will most likely be a combo guard and pietrus can play the 3 if need be. So in my opinion, I think JJ will stay and he will stay this entire year and next.