Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

The Brian Hill offense...some observations

Regretfully I was at the Celts melt down where we couldnt score the last 7 minutes and observed several things.

1.) The offense gets set up with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock leaving little time for the play to set up

2.) There are two plays that happen. Somebody posts up low and the ball goes in to him for the shot...play two is the same but the ball comes back out for some one on one drive or a wild shot with no one in position for the rebound.

3.) When I kept track, except for the fast breaks, the ball never touched more than two players hands once the offense set up... for two entire quarters.

4.) Boston continuously collapsed down on the post player knowing what was coming...regardless if it was howard, milicic, battie or hedo...but we continued the same routine.

Its no wonder our offense is so offensive. We have no ball movement and make no adjustments during the game. We dont open up the inside with

any outside threat (see redick). How much do we pay our coaching staff to be coaches? Wed be better off hiring one of Devos' Amway soap boxes to design plays for this club. Its an embarrassment.

Regretfully I was at the Celts melt down where we couldnt score the last 7 minutes and observed several things.

1.) The offense gets set up with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock leaving little time for the play to set up

2.) There are two plays that happen. Somebody posts up low and the ball goes in to him for the shot...play two is the same but the ball comes back out for some one on one drive or a wild shot with no one in position for the rebound.

3.) When I kept track, except for the fast breaks, the ball never touched more than two players hands once the offense set up... for two entire quarters.

4.) Boston continuously collapsed down on the post player knowing what was coming...regardless if it was howard, milicic, battie or hedo...but we continued the same routine.

Its no wonder our offense is so offensive. We have no ball movement and make no adjustments during the game. We dont open up the inside with

any outside threat (see redick). How much do we pay our coaching staff to be coaches? Wed be better off hiring one of Devos' Amway soap boxes to design plays for this club. Its an embarrassment.

If the Celtics were double teaming Dwight and he was getting the ball back out then he was only a small portion of the problem. The real problem is that they were getting the ball to him with little time for him to do anything with it. By the time the ball got kicked back out to the perimeter there wasn't time to do anything but run a quick isolation and hope the shot goes it. I didn't see this game but I've seen the scenario all season long. Its a horrible excuse for offensive execution.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

If the Celtics were double teaming Dwight and he was getting the ball back out then he was only a small portion of the problem. The real problem is that they were getting the ball to him with little time for him to do anything with it. By the time the ball got kicked back out to the perimeter there wasn't time to do anything but run a quick isolation and hope the shot goes it. I didn't see this game but I've seen the scenario all season long. Its a horrible excuse for offensive execution.

The real problem is we have an inept coach. When Dwight will end up with less field goal attemtps this year than he had last year that is a problem. We need a decent big man coach that knows what a double team is. The only time Mark Bryant was double teamed was when he was standing around the water cooler and 2 starters needed a drink. He sucked as a player and sucks as a coach. Worst move ever was getting rid of Clifford Ray. A BRIAN HILL MOVE!!!

It is rediculous that our franchise player has spent a year having to develop himself on his own with little or no help from our offensive sets, players or coaches. How can a player of Dwights ability end up with less touches than he did in an offense ran by Steve Francis?

How is Dwight ever going to learn if he never gets consistent touches and does not have a coach that knows what the heck to do when double teamed.

If Brian Hill sticks around next season he better recognize Dwight needs his own personal coach. A coach Dwight will respect and that has been through the same battles as he os going through. This would be the ONLY reason I would ever let Shaq back with the Magic because he knows. But other than that you need to go out and get someone like Hakeem the Dream or Patrick Ewing because they were some of the last dominant big men. Mark Bryant not so much.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Guokas suggested Sunday that Napoleon isn't giving Dwight an easy outlet when doubled in the post.

I've noticed that too Gabe. Dwight will be on the left block and the guy making the entry pass will either be at the top of the key or 8 feet behind the 3pt line. Either way Dwight has to give up the position he has worked for just to get the ball. It really doesn't work when its Grant or Ariza trying to make the pass since the defense doesn't respect their shot.

quote:
The only time Mark Bryant was double teamed was when he was standing around the water cooler and 2 starters needed a drink.

LOL, thats a good line man.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Not only were the plays predictable, but they only ran 2. I won't object to anything if it is working! This idiot has called 2 or 3 plays all season long and it still hasn't come to him that you need a respectable perimeter game if your going in that direction. So what does he continue to do??? Leave the credibile perimeter guys on the bench, while teams continue to triple D12.

If BHill has a playbook, it only has two pages, one being the table of contents! You can not get into your offense if you must always look to the bench for the play, you can not fastbreak, if everyone is under the opposing teams basket! You can not allow the pg to execute an affective offensive play with less than 12 - 15 sec or less, that means it (the play) must be executed perfectly and most of the time you get one shot at the rim!!!!

Well I can go on forever with this lack of offensive planning, but as I relive the Boston game, I come to the realization that after losing a 20 pt lead to a gutted team with only lottery plans for the off season to look forward to.....BHill made "NO.....NO......NO........ADJUSTMENTS.....with the exception of calling time out! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

So frustrating to see our PG's walk the **** ball up the court. By the time they reach half court its already 18 Secs left in the shot clock. Then they take forever to make there first pass(after directing traffic like a ****ing traffic cop) the clock has already reached 13 seconds. This is our main reason why we suck so much on offense we waste so much time doing absolutely nothing on the offense end besides setting up Dwight in the post which is freakin obvious then the double or triple team comes and Howard holds the ball for a good 6 seconds before making the much needed pass. Oh man our offense is a mess I can't wait to see how we play in the post season...