Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Povtak's Take On Best Centers - Dwight 's Number One

At age 22, Howard already is the best center in the NBA as he prepares for his fifth season with the Orlando Magic, who are building their franchise and their future hopes around him.

At a time when his position's prominence in the game has diminished, Howard has risen to the top with a rare combination of power and athleticism, showing just a hint of how dominating a great center can be.

His breakout season -- a league-leading 14.2 rebounds, along with 20.7 points and 2.1 blocks -- might be only a preview, merely a tip of his vast potential.

While most of the contenders are banking on perimeter play to carry them, Howard will show that his position has not grown obsolete or insignificant.

img10977661.jpg

1. Dwight Howard, Orlando: Howard still has plenty of room and time to grow as an NBA star. The Superman cape he unveiled last All-Star Weekend might not be too much of a stretch. He should start leaping tall buildings soon, eager to continue expanding his game. The Magic have no excuse if they can't build a serious contender around this inside force.

For the next 19 centers goto...

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10977659

What way for Superman to start out the Year...Being No. 1...How sweet it is.

At age 22, Howard already is the best center in the NBA as he prepares for his fifth season with the Orlando Magic, who are building their franchise and their future hopes around him.

At a time when his position's prominence in the game has diminished, Howard has risen to the top with a rare combination of power and athleticism, showing just a hint of how dominating a great center can be.

His breakout season -- a league-leading 14.2 rebounds, along with 20.7 points and 2.1 blocks -- might be only a preview, merely a tip of his vast potential.

While most of the contenders are banking on perimeter play to carry them, Howard will show that his position has not grown obsolete or insignificant.

img10977661.jpg

1. Dwight Howard, Orlando: Howard still has plenty of room and time to grow as an NBA star. The Superman cape he unveiled last All-Star Weekend might not be too much of a stretch. He should start leaping tall buildings soon, eager to continue expanding his game. The Magic have no excuse if they can't build a serious contender around this inside force.

For the next 19 centers goto...

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10977659

What way for Superman to start out the Year...Being No. 1...How sweet it is.

I just hope that he makes more freethrows and add some hook shots or something to his game. Also pickup better court vision for passing out of double teams. Im not looking for him to develop a shot cause he just might not be that type of player. But if he shoots better freethrows, add a better hook shot, and pass better then yes i feel he would be the best and the most dominent in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackhennie:

I thought howard was defensive player of the year last year and I also thought he was the best center.

Yet he is a center who can only dunk his other offensive shots are lacking. That as of right now does not make him the premier center in the NBA.

When he actually improves his offense and cuts down his turnovers then you will finally have a real Beast of the East. Right now the beast only refers to his body.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:

I thought howard was defensive player of the year last year and I also thought he was the best center.

Yet he is a center who can only dunk his other offensive shots are lacking. That as of right now does not make him the premier center in the NBA.

When he actually improves his offense and cuts down his turnovers then you will finally have a real Beast of the East. Right now the beast only refers to his body.

So true. Not looking for a shot to develop, i just want his passing and freethrows to improve. Also his inside scoring cause the dunks arent going to always be there.

I agree Dwight is the best center in the league. He has his faults but TBH the true center is a dyeing bread.

Like has been mentioned above FT% and court vision will do wonders for the kid. Also making his moves faster. Most of his TO's were based off him taking that extra .5 a second to spin to the basket or grip the ball before taking it up. If he could get more fluid with the catch and slam his TO's would be cut in half.

quote:

quote:

#1 skill at center in my book..? Rebounding. No body does it better than dwight, not even camby anymore. is that only cause of his body?...nah.

I like the words of a fresh, very talented young star. "Point blank, he is the most dominant player in this game right now, I would say." -Kevin Durant

your "...the beast only refers..." comment, blah blah blah, makes you sound pretty uninformed and uneducated.

quote:
Originally posted by FloridianaJones:

quote:

quote:

#1 skill at center in my book..? Rebounding. No body does it better than dwight, not even camby anymore. is that only cause of his body?...nah.

I like the words of a fresh, very talented young star. "Point blank, he is the most dominant player in this game right now, I would say." -Kevin Durant

your "...the beast only refers..." comment, blah blah blah, makes you sound pretty uninformed and uneducated.

I bow to your ignorance.

Actually I don't, your statement just shows that you indeed no nothing about basketball. Howard is a one shot wonder when it comes to offense. Until he improves his shot selection beyond the dunk Howards game will not improve.

He also has to improve his turnover ratio as well as his free throw percentage.

Howard also has to learn not to sulk on the court when he is not getting the ball all of the time when he behaves like that he only hurts the Magic. Howard needs to grow up some more.

Yes Howard can rebound, but that is rather mis-leading. Most of his rebounds are defensive his offensive rebounds on the other hand are less then the other players who are high on the list.

When Howard learns that he needs to work on his game more then a week or two then the Magic has a whole will improve until that happens the beast stays just in Body not in soul.

One day Howard will truly be the Beast of the East and beyond then all of the NBA needs to truly look out just as they did with Shaq in his prime.

I agree with you that he must not be upset when he does not get the ball but the magic don't look at him at all in games.

I liked the style team usa played. give him the ball early and he plays at his best.

his stats will be higher when he gets the ball more and is the first choice on offence.

once he gets the free throws in, he will be unstoppable. if opponents are not able to play hack an dwight because he shoots his free throws well, then they have a problem. look to the raptors vs magic series in the playoffs.