Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Will Hedo get an contract extension or be traded before trade deadline?

This is a serious question. Do you think he should get his extension or should we trade him? Cause Turkoglu has proven that he's our go to guy in the 4th quarter and without him here could really hurt us. However with him gone could move Lewis back to the 3 and force someone else to step up. But Turkoglu really is our best player other than Howard. So what do you guys think. 20ppg 6rpg 5apg. Mr. 4th Quarter. What should Otis do?

This is a serious question. Do you think he should get his extension or should we trade him? Cause Turkoglu has proven that he's our go to guy in the 4th quarter and without him here could really hurt us. However with him gone could move Lewis back to the 3 and force someone else to step up. But Turkoglu really is our best player other than Howard. So what do you guys think. 20ppg 6rpg 5apg. Mr. 4th Quarter. What should Otis do?

I would like to give turk his extension. But I would not go over 10mil per year. If we can not agree to a contract, then we trade him for that coveted big man. Lewis at he natural spot would beast. So I don't believe we would see a drop at that position.

I think we need to get rid of him before the deadline. Not because he doesnt serve our team well, simply because i'd wager that he will be playing in a Euro league once his contract is up.

Hedo really gives us a unique dimension. And he helps us with what we lack at PG with is handling.

I'd really like him to stay - but I wish somehow Rashard could play the 3.

He's become a core player and responsible for at least some of our success: I hope we keep him. Again, I wouldn't bet the farm for him, but for a reasonable (or even slightly unreasonable) price, yeah - we should keep him.

I think we should try to get 'Shard to restructure his deal. Give him more years for less money or something. No idea why he'd do that exactly, but as good as he is, that salary's going to limit what we can do in our other weak areas.

Yea i hope we can keep him but if not then maybe we can go after Carlos Boozer and move Lewis to the 3. Hopefully Nelson can cover what Turk was doing.

It would be nice if we could rewind the clock and target a SG free agent instead of Shard, but that boat has sailed. The team now needs to decide if their allegiance is to Shard or Hedo. IMO, both players cannot thrive and help the team propser when they are both capable of contributing in the exact same ways (to a degree).

The newborn aspect of players leaving the NBA for a better paycheck in the Euroleague adds a new dimension to answering this question.

If by the trade deadline, Hedo has not agreed to a reasonable contract extension, then Otis should be forced to trade him. Unfortunately GM's can no longer rely on Bird Rights to offer much security or leverage during complicated negotiations. Players can now hold NBA GM's to the fire and drain them for every penny they think they may be worth, unjustified or not.

With Hedo's emergence as a goto player, rumors are he is seeking anywhere from 10 to 14 million, and I guarantee he can get that much or more in the Euroleague. However, this will likely be Hedo's first and last opportunity at a big payday. Therefore, if it is the money he is looking for, then any loyalty that the Magic have previously shown regarding their core players, won't mean much.

This is an enormous decision that our front office needs to get right. If we truly want to move forward with Hedo as a key component to the roster, then his contract must remain affordable (and it must provide the team with future flexibility). Unfortunately, regardless of the amount he is signed for, the Magic will definitely be faced with paying the luxury tax as soon as next year. With Hedo and Rashard both potentially signed to lucrative long-term contracts, the Magic will certainly need to address the PF position also. A young big man, oozing with potential is a must. Somebody that will be young enough to afford and promising enough to give minutes to develop, but also enough of a prospect that management feels this player can eventually man the starting spot capably.

If the Magic choose not to move forward with Hedo on the roster, that is a realization they must come to within the first few weeks of the season. Simply waiting until the trade deadline, could potentialy drive down Hedo's value, and other teams will be aware that a traded Hedo still presents their organization with the same problems the Magic will face in the offseason. The only exception to this, is if Hedo agrees to an extension as part of the trade that lands him on another team.