Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Will Hedo get an contract extension or be traded before trade deadline?

quote:
Originally posted by avitale8:

We need to keep him...point.blank.period.

I agree, we can't afford to lose Hedo. If he doesn't sign the extension though, Otis HAS TO trade him and get something back in return...we've let way too much talent leave for nothing in the past, the trend MUST stop!

Don't take my earlier post as me saying I wouldnt love to keep Hedo. I just think with his size, skill set, and basketball IQ alongside the fact that he is from over seas makes me strongly believe he will land in Europe. If he comes out playing this season like he did last(20/6/5) he could potentially be a Euro league MVP.

On top of all that he would pull imo a good bit more of a contract then Childress' $20 Million. Plus he could do much better on Endorsements over seas.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

It would be nice if we could rewind the clock and target a SG free agent instead of Shard, but that boat has sailed. The team now needs to decide if their allegiance is to Shard or Hedo. IMO, both players cannot thrive and help the team propser when they are both capable of contributing in the exact same ways (to a degree).

The newborn aspect of players leaving the NBA for a better paycheck in the Euroleague adds a new dimension to answering this question.

If by the trade deadline, Hedo has not agreed to a reasonable contract extension, then Otis should be forced to trade him. Unfortunately GM's can no longer rely on Bird Rights to offer much security or leverage during complicated negotiations. Players can now hold NBA GM's to the fire and drain them for every penny they think they may be worth, unjustified or not.

With Hedo's emergence as a goto player, rumors are he is seeking anywhere from 10 to 14 million, and I guarantee he can get that much or more in the Euroleague. However, this will likely be Hedo's first and last opportunity at a big payday. Therefore, if it is the money he is looking for, then any loyalty that the Magic have previously shown regarding their core players, won't mean much.

This is an enormous decision that our front office needs to get right. If we truly want to move forward with Hedo as a key component to the roster, then his contract must remain affordable (and it must provide the team with future flexibility). Unfortunately, regardless of the amount he is signed for, the Magic will definitely be faced with paying the luxury tax as soon as next year. With Hedo and Rashard both potentially signed to lucrative long-term contracts, the Magic will certainly need to address the PF position also. A young big man, oozing with potential is a must. Somebody that will be young enough to afford and promising enough to give minutes to develop, but also enough of a prospect that management feels this player can eventually man the starting spot capably.

If the Magic choose not to move forward with Hedo on the roster, that is a realization they must come to within the first few weeks of the season. Simply waiting until the trade deadline, could potentialy drive down Hedo's value, and other teams will be aware that a traded Hedo still presents their organization with the same problems the Magic will face in the offseason. The only exception to this, is if Hedo agrees to an extension as part of the trade that lands him on another team.

Totally agree.

What I do not want to see is Hedo traded for 2 or 3 shmucks, like an ok point guard and power forward that help us a little maybe be fizzle out. In some ways I think that would be worse than losing him outright as at least if we lose him, we don't have any contracts to worry about.

If we can turn one redundant asset into 2 or 3 needed assets, I'll be happy, so long as those acquired assets contribute.

If we can get a starting PF, I'll be happy.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

If we can turn one redundant asset into 2 or 3 needed assets, I'll be happy, so long as those acquired assets contribute.

I agree.

If we cant get a somewhat superstar type player for him then i would be satisfied with a pg that plays good defense and can put up 8-10ppg 3-6apg and a pf in the 10-12ppg 10rpg 1bpg that also plays good defense.

Now the question becomes what is available.

Who needs a SF? Who can upgrade their SF position?

Who has a PF and/or PG that is available?

My count comes up with these teams: Portland, Philly, Indiana (assuming Granger can play PF). Sacramento needs a SF, but they don't have any assets we would want.

Here is my proposed deal (although it may be difficult to do, because they are Conference rivals): Hedo and JJ for Andre Miller, TPE + future 2nd pick for Speights.

Why would Philly do this? They just inked Louis Williams to a sizable deal and they feel he is their PG of the future. However, he isn't the distributor that Miller is, so adding a guy like Hedo would help significantly. JJ gives them shooting they lost when they dealt Korver. Speights was drafted before they got Brand, and he is now buried in the depth chart. the TPE cuts them a little slack after signing 3 big deals this summer, and the pick is a sweetener.

What about us? Miller has been the apple of our eye for a while. He's a big PG who is a solid defender and passer. It moves Meer to a Barbosa-esque 6th man position. Battie can start at PF, move Shard to the 3, and Cook can give Speights some time to adjust to the NBA. Our starting 5 becomes very balanced with O and D, and we have 2 young studs to develop with Dwight in Lee and Marreese.

Thoughts?

quote:

What I meant was: I don't want another T-Mac trade.

quote:
Originally posted by AcuWill:

quote:

What I meant was: I don't want another T-Mac trade.

Hold up, cause Turk isnt nowhere near valuable as Tmac was. So if we got 2 players that can help this team out better than i would be all for it. We need a pg and pf that defends and rebound good. Turk value is high, but not as high as an superstar type player. Tmac is on Kobe's level or he used to be.