Sign in to follow this  
TheRevTy

Explain Yourselves

The vast majority of us on these boards are blue-blooded Magic fans, hence why we often reside on a messageboard devoted to the team. But why? Many are simply from Orlando, but not all. So what drew you to this small market team?

Why are you a fan of the Orlando Magic?

The vast majority of us on these boards are blue-blooded Magic fans, hence why we often reside on a messageboard devoted to the team. But why? Many are simply from Orlando, but not all. So what drew you to this small market team?

Why are you a fan of the Orlando Magic?

I was born in 1989 in California, and moved to Orlando in less than 2 months after that. I have lived here ever since. My dad went to the very first Regular season game vs the Nets. He still has the ticket in a glass lamination somewhere. His work had season tickets when I was young, floor seats. I was able to see games at a very young age.

When Shaq used to play here, he came to my dads hotel and he would talk to him and hook him up with everything. I didn't believe him until one game we went to, Shaq had a broken thumb, I think 1996 and he took my brother and I to the bench and when a security guard told us to leave shaq rose up and told him it was okay. Then my dad introduced my brother and I to Shaquille O'Neal in the middle of a Magic game!!

That is a moment I will never forget and pretty much since then I have loved the Orlando Magic. Although I liked them my whole life, that moment made my blood turn blue so to speak.

Now it is 2008 and I am 19 years young, as big a fan as I have ever been.

Go Magic!!

I too joined the Magic club during the Shaq and Penny era. I started watching basketball and collecting cards when I was ten and had just moved to Indiana (where you'd better love the sport), and I remember sneaking out of bed and listening on the radio to the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pacers. God, remember Rik Smits? Anyway, I feel in love with the team--my favorite player was Nick Anderson.

I've moved around since then, but have gone through all the heartbreak of the Grant Hill/McGrady saga, the Steve Francis Years, wonderful to watch Heart and Hustle team, etc. So, now I'm a 23-year old grad student and continue to wait for that **** championship that should've been hoisted by Shaq, Penny, 3D, Horace Grant and Nick Anderson, but will be soon with Shard, Hedo, Dwight, Meer and Pietrus.

I have lived my entire life in Vermont where most NBA fans either follow the Celtics or Lakers (surprisingly). It is a 3.5 hour drive to see a game in Boston. I started following the NBA around 1987 but didn't really like any team in particular. So, when it was announced Orlando would get a team I was excited. My parents and I vacationed in Orlando late March and early April. I was able to see 2-3 games at the O-Rena every year. So, despite the fact that I live closer to Boston it was more likely that I would watch more games in Orlando. A few years later Shaq was drafted and it sealed the deal for me. I don't get to Orlando that often anymore but I rarely miss the Magic when the come to Boston.

Personally, while I grew up mostly in Orlando, I lived in a lot of places and never really attached myself to a team. I was a fan of the Rays and Bucs when I lived in Tampa, but that fascination left when I left the area. So, as I sit here in St. Louis, MO, why am I still a fan of the Magic?

First and foremost, I am a fan of our guys. Their personalities are all so charismatic and enjoyable. They are more than just a jersey and logo, they are individuals who truly seem to enjoy being around each other. Say what you will about Otis, but he has constructed a great TEAM. Not a single one of our guys seem egotistical or stand-offish.

So, while geography may have gotten me interested, the personalities of the Magic got me hooked.

Was the first place that I came to as a child in America and loved the place. So always followed the Magic since then.

Besides i've always liked the teams that didnt get that much media coverage. Added onto the fact that it's one of the nearest teams to the UK, there the reasons as to why I support the Magic.

There are 6 of us on these boards who Shawn Kemp fathered. Since the Magic were his last team I have decided to stick with them.

You may call him Reign Man but I call him Daddy.