Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

*gasp* Charley Rosen Team USA grades

quote:
DWIGHT HOWARD: Dunked with admirable authority against inferior opponents. Played miserable defense and was a liability at the stripe.

GRADE: D-plus

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/8484774/Breakin...e-road-to-redemption

Is anyone really surprised? This decrepit old geezer is always hating on the Magic. Also, Kobe with an A+?! Oh my...

quote:
DWIGHT HOWARD: Dunked with admirable authority against inferior opponents. Played miserable defense and was a liability at the stripe.

GRADE: D-plus

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/8484774/Breakin...e-road-to-redemption

Is anyone really surprised? This decrepit old geezer is always hating on the Magic. Also, Kobe with an A+?! Oh my...

quote:
Most disappointing performance: Dwight Howard's failure to dominate the paint.

How is he supposed to dominate the paint when this was a guard dominated team? We didn't work the inside at all.

Also how can Prince, Redd, and Boozer get better grades when they barely played?

Also saying that Dwight's D was terrible just shows how much this guy knows about basketball.

It's all true and it doesn't matter one bit.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but Dwight doesn't play for the USA team full time and doesn't play in FIBA events full time. He plays for the Orlando Magic in the NBA and nothing he did in China matters here at all.

Apparently, if we ever get Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo and Kidd, we're going to have problems getting Dwight to perform at a high level.

I'll worry about that circumstance when we get those players.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

quote:
Most disappointing performance: Dwight Howard's failure to dominate the paint.

How is he supposed to dominate the paint when this was a guard dominated team? We didn't work the inside at all.

Also how can Prince, Redd, and Boozer get better grades when they barely played?

Also saying that Dwight's D was terrible just shows how much this guy knows about basketball.

Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. I'd add, Kidd was pathetic. If you're really going to analyze the team and provide grade, he's easily at the back of the class.

Kidd couldn't keep guards in front of him...they blew right past him. And at times, he was a liability offensively - because he didn't want to shoot when he had wide open shots. "shot extremely well" - LOL! He took like 5 shots!

this is just silly. Dwight's defense was miserable? When? If there's anything he did well in the tournament, it was keep the paint relatively quiet.

Fox is a Football and NASCAR network who gives a concrete slab what they have to say about basketball.

we'll let Dwight and the rest of our Boys in Blue do the talkin this year.

Trust me, by the time 08-09 season is over, Rosen will be praisin the Magic like he praises Kobe, Coronas, and Oatmeal Creme Pies.

I watched every Team USA game in China, including the exhibitions, and Howard was, for the most part, pitiful.

-> He never beat his opponent down the floor, even though he was athletically superior to every man he faced.

-> He has no idea about how to defend a pick-and-roll. This fact, not foul trouble or free throw shooting, was the reason that Bosh got minutes early and often, in my opinion.

-> He successfully maintained the trend of becoming a worse free throw shooter as he gets older.

-> While his teammates were adapting to the international style of play, Dwight never altered his game on the court. He was easily frustrated with the shorter players hanging on him for rebounds, and he continually threw them to the floor in front of referees. Use your feet and move, man!

-> His choices of when to shoot a layup and when to dunk the ball were suspect.

-> His facial expressions, body language, and overall attitude was entirely negative. He showed his immaturity on an international level.

I'm a Magic fan and a Dwight Howard fan. Basketball has been major part of my life for almost 20 years. This is my honest assessment.

I was overly disappointed in his play.

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

I watched every Team USA game in China, including the exhibitions, and Howard was, for the most part, pitiful.

-> He never beat his opponent down the floor, even though he was athletically superior to every man he faced.

-> He has no idea about how to defend a pick-and-roll. This fact, not foul trouble or free throw shooting, was the reason that Bosh got minutes early and often, in my opinion.

-> He successfully maintained the trend of becoming a worse free throw shooter as he gets older.

-> While his teammates were adapting to the international style of play, Dwight never altered his game on the court. He was easily frustrated with the shorter players hanging on him for rebounds, and he continually threw them to the floor in front of referees. Use your feet and move, man!

-> His choices of when to shoot a layup and when to dunk the ball were suspect.

-> His facial expressions, body language, and overall attitude was entirely negative. He showed his immaturity on an international level.

I'm a Magic fan and a Dwight Howard fan. Basketball has been major part of my life for almost 20 years. This is my honest assessment.

I was overly disappointed in his play.

All this while being one of the top scorers on the team, top rebounders, top FG%, top in blocks, despite receiving less playing time than most?

And who adapted? Perhaps Bosh, but that's about it. The ball was released from Kobe/Melo's hands just as soon as they got a sniff of it. Chris Paul and Deron Williams shared PG duties, but kept their styles of play, and Wade played like old Wade.

The international game favor's guardplay and that's exactly what Team USA "adapted" to. I honestly cannot fathom why anyone's so disappointed with Dwight. The freethrow shooting's another story.

Also, Fernandez used his off arm to shove Dwight away. Case and point, offensive foul.

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

mkynva.gif

This sums up Dwight's performance.

That does not show that Dwight was playing his man on the wings (Gasol) when Kobe goes for the steal instead of playing his man straight up.

Sorry, this one is on Kobe's head not Dwight's.

I thought Kidd was not a good match to be on the floor with Dwight since teams generaly sagged off him to crowd the lane and dared him shoot.

Dwight filled his role and the team USA won gold unlike four years ago. Tim Duncan had a miserable time playing under FIBA rules and looke what he has done.