Sign in to follow this  
TragicFan

Insider source confirms Magic will sign Kevin Kruger as our 3rd pg + other rumors

A source close to me has told me that the Magic will look no further then their own summer league PG Kevin Kruger to fill the role as emergency PG. He told me that since he is familar with the team and system that he will prove to be a cheap backup with some potential to grow into a no. 2.

Also, the Magic are looking at 3 different PF's to invite to training camp. One of them is supposed to be Elton Brown of the D League, Robert Traylor, and Kevin Pittsnoggle.

My source has also told me that Hedo will not be traded until possibly the deadline in which he says it will be a blockbuster deal or bust. This means guys like Battie, Bogans, JJ, etc may be involved as well for multiple players or a star player and filler.

Will try to find out more from you as he tells me. I know I dropped the ball on the Kemp rumor, but for what it's worth, Otis was seriously considering bringing him in for evaluation.

A source close to me has told me that the Magic will look no further then their own summer league PG Kevin Kruger to fill the role as emergency PG. He told me that since he is familar with the team and system that he will prove to be a cheap backup with some potential to grow into a no. 2.

Also, the Magic are looking at 3 different PF's to invite to training camp. One of them is supposed to be Elton Brown of the D League, Robert Traylor, and Kevin Pittsnoggle.

My source has also told me that Hedo will not be traded until possibly the deadline in which he says it will be a blockbuster deal or bust. This means guys like Battie, Bogans, JJ, etc may be involved as well for multiple players or a star player and filler.

Will try to find out more from you as he tells me. I know I dropped the ball on the Kemp rumor, but for what it's worth, Otis was seriously considering bringing him in for evaluation.

don't know if your right or not, but for some reason yahoo.com has a magic profile on the kid, it's basically all blank, and he's not listed on the roster, very strange, did he play in one of our past summer leagues?:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4376

EDIT: i remember him now, i got this off USAToday:

'Kevin Kruger waived by Magic: The Magic waived G Kevin Kruger on Wednesday.

(Updated 10/26/2007). '

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/playerpage/1315529

Assuming TFs information is accurate, this sounds to me like Otis is letting Memphis know that he can move on without Crit or Lowry, hoping to make them reduce their demands.

I'm not necessarily upset by this news, as I think this forum vastly underestimates the contributions that Anthony Johnson can make as the backup PG.

I do not, however, understand why we would bother with a kid like Kruger when we could almost as cheaply sign a veteran like Darrell, which would also be a great PR move.

Blah. I'm a fan of Kruger as a summer leaguer - but he does nothing for us over the course of an 82 game season.

Elton Brown, on the other hand, I'd be excited about.

Tractor Traylor has gotten interest from a few teams, but I'm not sold on him or his general fatness. Pittsnoggle...haven't heard too much about him since West VA. Please get Elton Brown into camp though!

and Shawn Kemp just signed a contract - how could Otis evaluate him?

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

He was referring to a thread he started back on July 30th stating that Steve Kyler told him that the Magic were going to sign Kemp.

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

Elton Brown and the Tractor Trailer?!!!?

Oh and who is this Kruger guy?

He is actually the son of Lon Kruger who used to coach the Gators (try not to hold that against him).

He has played for the Magic in several Summer Leagues now.

He is a poor man's Travis Diener (think about that for a second....).

Yeah, we would need our PGs to stay healthy this year if he is #3.

IMO signing Kruger would be a ploy to reduce Memphis' negotiating leverage. Kruger would likely be signed to a non-guaranteed contract, allowing the magic to cut him at any point without penalty. Therefore, we could thumb our noses at Chris Wallace, and let him know we don't need no stinking PG. Then if Wallace lowered his expectations, we could send Kruger packing and bring Crit on board.

DA on the other hand could only be signed to a guaranteed VetMin contract. So although I think DA would be an obvious on the court upgrade over Kruger, I really don't see Otis keeping Kruger around if he can convince Wallace to lower his demands, acquire Crit, and then cut Kruger without hurting the team payroll or cap situation.

I'd be happy with Elton Brown in a Magic jersey.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by BRich:

He was referring to a thread he started back on July 30th stating that Steve Kyler told him that the Magic were going to sign Kemp.

my fault. I thought he said "Otis IS strongly considering evaluating him." - sorry about that.