Sign in to follow this  
gobucsmagic

Worried about Dwight

quote:
Originally posted by Hedo My Call:

Whoa there gobucsmagic...take a breather.

I think his response was legit...I mean he is probably a little annoyed that he is the last option but with Kobe, Bron Bron, and D Wade on the floor, it is to be expected. I don't base his future success here on what he does in the Olympics. He does have maturing to do, but plenty of time to do it. I see you're point, but am not worried about it.

HMC

Its just a little annoying when you post a topic and only get smart arse comments. If you're not concerned...fine, then tell me why you're not (not you HMC) or why I shouldnt be, rather than just being a wise guy. Thats all.

quote:
Originally posted by gobucsmagic:

Figured I'd get a response like that. Go drink your koolaid and leave the discussion to those who give a crap.

I am afraid you have attempted to discuss an untouchable matter in this forum. If you look at my previous comments on the post related to his spatt with the coach, you would have seen similar reactions from the Howard groupies which will repeat the same excuses, "he is a kid", "he is too young", "he still has time to learn the moves he is missing", etc..

All the players on the olympic team are first or second options on their respective teams and are sharing more limited roles in order for their team to win. Why should he pout or underperform at this time. Is this not a sign of lack of maturity or just palin childishness? I think this is going to overflow into his Magic role also.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

You guys are ridiculous, sorry I wasted my time posting...

I'll tell you what cupcake: why don't you go and find out what Tim Duncan thinks of FIBA competition, and then we can have this conversation.

Cupcake huh? Gotta love the ****iness, I assume you think you've earned it with your post count. The discussion is concerning Dwight's attitude, body language, and overall play...not Duncans opinion of FIBA basketball.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
Figured I'd get a response like that. Go drink your koolaid and leave the discussion to those who give a crap.

Really? What was wrong with my response?

When I responded your post only stated "lets trade him for Darko and Crittenton". The "but seriously" part wasnt there, I assume you edited your post and added it. My apologies.

quote:

quote:

quote:

When I responded your post only stated "lets trade him for Darko and Crittenton". The "but seriously" part wasnt there. My apologies.

I think Dwight sees himself as the odd man out. He's not getting nearly enough press for being the most important man on the team because he's not named Kobe, Lebron or Wade. He is ignored in all the TV adds and things because he is the only guy on the team who isn't with Nike. It's like that 4x100 freestyle that the U.S. won the other night in swimming. All NBC talked about and showed was Michael Phelps. Unfortunately, the reason the U.S. won the gold wasn't because of Phelps, but because of Lezak. In fact, Phelps was the one who put them behind from the start. Dwight is probably standing there while all anyone wants to talk about is Kobe and Lebron... Not the player on the team who will have the greatest impact.

quote:

quote:

quote:

When I responded your post only stated "lets trade him for Darko and Crittenton". The "but seriously" part wasnt there. My apologies.

I think you'll find this board to be very knowledgeable and insightful, but a thick skin is required. Comedy is not pretty and most here, myself included, will go for the jugular if need be to get a smile. If you put it up there, where it will go is up to the rest.

As for Dwight, while seeing that he's frustrated is easy, assuming a reason for it is not. It could be that he doesn't like being the fifth option, but just as easy, and more likely, is that he's just putting pressure on himself to play good in the biggest stage, and among the best players, he's ever encountered. In the game against China, the times I saw him most frustrated was when he couldn't finish the plays or missing a free throw. Dwight's one of the kids on the team with the stars of the world, in the Olympics! Don't just assume its a selfish thing. I think Dwight is smart enough to know his role on a team with Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Wade.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

As for Dwight, while seeing that he's frustrated is easy, assuming a reason for it is not. It could be that he doesn't like being the fifth option, but just as easy, and more likely, is that he's just putting pressure on himself to play good in the biggest stage, and among the best players, he's ever encountered. In the game against China, the times I saw him most frustrated was when he couldn't finish the plays or missing a free throw. Dwight's one of the kids on the team with the stars of the world, in the Olympics! Don't just assume its a selfish thing. I think Dwight is smart enough to know his role on a team with Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Wade.

I can definitely see that being a possibility. Not only being one of the youngsters on the team - but also, hearing a lot of talk a bout how he's our only hope @ the center position. Like you mentioned, he clearly loses confidence when he doesn't make a play or something of that nature - but when he makes a good one, he usually rolls off two or three more.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you'll find this board to be very knowledgeable and insightful, but a thick skin is required. Comedy is not pretty and most here, myself included, will go for the jugular if need be to get a smile. If you put it up there, where it will go is up to the rest.

I do respect the posters on this board...I've skimmed it for quite a while now. I guess I'm just expecting too much out of Dwight at such a young age. For me its not the numbers, or lack thereof, that bother me. Its the disengagement, poor body language, and what appears at times to be lack of hustle and energy. Reminds me of the games leading up to being called out by Van Gundy last season.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

You guys are ridiculous, sorry I wasted my time posting...

I'll tell you what cupcake: why don't you go and find out what Tim Duncan thinks of FIBA competition, and then we can have this conversation.

Cupcake huh? Gotta love the ****iness, I assume you think you've earned it with your post count. The discussion is concerning Dwight's attitude, body language, and overall play...not Duncans opinion of FIBA basketball.

Actually, I think I've earned it from doing my part to keep the discourse on this board at something resembling an intelligent level. But allow me to respond to your series of increasingly condescending posts with this very simple, yet very elegant, bulleted list(which also gives me an excuse to use the stupid bullet command):

• One, FIBA rules clearly favor perimeter players. If you've wondered why European big men tend to love them some perimeter games, that's why. It's also why I said you should look up what Tim Duncan, the greatest power forward of all time, had to say about the difference in styles. It's relevant, no matter how casually you feel like dismissing the opinions of people who actually know what they're talking about.

• Two, Dwight is the only real big man on the team, and has to play cautiously to avoid foul trouble. After all his backups at center are an oversized 3 in Bosh and an undersized 4 in Boozer. Against Germany, Spain, and Greece, they'll need Dwight on defense like they need air.

• Three, Dwight is coming back from an injury, and is clearly behind on his workout regime.

• Four, you are a *******ed idiot. And while vilifying the entire message board because you disagreed with the first response you got would usually qualify as a "Quod Erat Demonstrandum" on that particular topic, I'll instead prove it mathematically:

Take your current age, and subtract 10 years from it; were you smart back then? Of course you weren't; You were a *******ed idiot. The fact is, you, like the rest of us, are just as big an idiot today. It's just going to take you 10 more years to realize it.

• Fifth, I don't know how much attention you paid to today's game, but Dwight had 14/3/1/2 in a little over 14 minutes. Yes, his rebounding is down, but it also means his PER 40 stats for today are: 37/8/2.67/5.33. Yes, his rebound is down, when he's clearly not trying against Angola. Honestly, no one should care. If his problems continue into the preseason, then I'll actually worry about it. I'm certainly not going to do it when he's on pace for almost 5 and a half blocks a game to go along with his 37 points. I guarantee you, if Dwight averaged 37/8/5.33, no one will give two ****s about how his rebounding is down. Christ.

This one's pretty simple: international rules are very anti-post and big-man, which is why most big men from outside the states are big, outside-shooting softies who cry a lot.

It's also frustrating for an inside playing banger to adjust to.

[edit: ah - like DOM just covered up above]