Sign in to follow this  
In The Know

Rumors out of Sacramento: Ron Artest for Turk?

quote:
Originally posted by The Steal:

You guys are kidding right? Hedo was a huge part of the reason we were good last year. The Magic will try to keep him.

I would be floored if the Magic let this guy anywhere near Dwight. Not going to happen. Are you guys new here, laughable.

Not that it speaks at all to the original post, but does anyone else find it funny that someone would ask "Are you guys new here?" as an insult, when they themselves registered less than 2 weeks ago?

Nathan, I think you could logically add Augie and Foyle to that list as "likely", then assume a guy like Armstrong to be signed to a min contract as the 3rd PG. In fact, it may also suggest a min signing of someone like Doleac; a big that can somewhat consistently hit a face-up shot away from the basket.

I would do this trade, but it certainly does have it's risks.

The one part of this that makes no sense to me is that we are doing them a HUGE favor by picking up Thomas. I can't see how they could expect us to come off a 1st-round pick when we are helping them unload that contract.

Welcome to the forum, In The Know.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by The Steal:

You guys are kidding right? Hedo was a huge part of the reason we were good last year. The Magic will try to keep him.

I would be floored if the Magic let this guy anywhere near Dwight. Not going to happen. Are you guys new here, laughable.

Not that it speaks at all to the original post, but does anyone else find it funny that someone would ask "Are you guys new here?" as an insult, when they themselves registered less than 2 weeks ago?

Exactly, in fact I think it could be the same guy who started the Post!!!

quote:
Hedo Turkoglu, JJ Redick, Brian Cook, and Keith Bogans and a 2009 lottery protected first round pick.

Only deal Hedo for a 4. Wouldn't mind giving Artest a shot but that trade would leave us shorthanded with roster spots still to fill and I feel that we would be giving SAC way too much. I think if we wait we could do better. Unless we get some miracle funds and are willng to pay the luxury tax then consider Hedo gone by Febuary.

This is a very interesting rumor....good work In the know! A trade like this would put us over the top. I really don't see the downside to this at all. Howard isn't the easily corrupted kid we all like to make him...and Artest has been on his best behavior since he joined the Kings. I see this as a win win.

quote:

I am new here...I think this is post 11 haha...BUT

Offensively: In trading Hedo for Artest we are getting a more aggressive player that will go to the rim instead of trying to take long jumpers. Hedo is a good shooter, but is a poor finisher up close. With Rashard and Jameer, we don't neccessarily need someone else on the floor ripping long J's. Artest will take it to the rack, and if even if he doesn't finish, he often gets to the line because his man can't take his size and strength.

Defensively: There is no comparison. Artest is one of the best On The Ball defenders at the SF position in the league. Hedo...not so much. With him and MP on the floor, we will have no problem taking onsome of the best in the league.

Believe me...I love hedo...I mean my friggin Display name is after him, but Artest is a player that could make big moves for us. I say we go for it if it is even possible.

As for his antics, thats how he is, but he's going to be on a contending team with the Magic so his outlook may change.

Last thing...about Turk coming into his prime...Artest is younger than him by 6 months...Take it for what it's worth...

That's just my opinion...HMC

quote:
Originally posted by Eye B Leave:

I don't like this trade at all. I think we have made some good moves so far to our team this offseason, and we have upgraded in some areas. But I think we would be giving up too much for Ron Artest. I think he's overrated if you ask me. Judging from last season we know what we're gonna get out of Turk. But you never know with this Ron Ron character. I don't think he's mentally stable enough, to make this team better. The way I see it, Sac would be the only winner with this trade. They clear cap space, and get a good player coming into his prime. All we would get is a "project", that could pan out either way. Too much risk.

I dont understand why you think its bad for Howard to be near this guy? Howard is a grown-up I am pretty sure he knows who he should affiliate with or not. I wouldnt worry about that.

The thing to worry about is this guy going to do the same thing here in Orlando then he did in Chicago, Indiana, Sacramento. The answer is yes.

Is he worth it? If the Magic dont have any plans to resign Hedo. Then you make that trade. Artest can do all of what Hedo does but, plays really good Defense. Hedo has no defense what so ever. Its a no brainer if you ask me. I send the lottery pick as well if need be.

on a side note. I think its interesting the Magic Organization doenst want to go over the luxury tax. We bought them a nice shiney new arena. They throw us in the dirt with the TV Deal. Now they dont want to spend the money to actually BE A CONTENDER for the Championship

I truly enjoy reading all of your posts so I will clarify:

"are you new here" is a figure of speech, not intended as an insult at all.

My point was: Being fans of the team surely you know Ron Artest isn't the type of guy the Magic bring on board. Creating other holes in a roster we are trying to fill, taking a bad contract, and a headcase is not at all the way the team operates.

Easy on the new guy, just a misunderstanding.

I stand by the trade being laughable.

quote:
Originally posted by In The Know:

So I've been lurking in this forum for a while now, and I never bothered to post anything because I didn't feel like I had anything that really worth saying. That changed yesterday.

A very close friend of mine(my roommate from college, if you're curious) is very connected in the Sacramento Kings organization and he passed me along this information that I feel is too juicy not to tell. I asked him if I should say anything and he told me it would not matter because everyone would deny it and nobody would believe me anyway. Plus, as long as I didn't give his name or mine, no one would be able to trace it back to him in the first place.

Anyway the Magic and the Kings are discussing a trade that would be based around a Ron Artest for Hedo Turkoglu swap. He told me they had discussed this last summer but this time it has more legs with the Kings wanting to get rid of Artest as fast as possible, and with Artest wanting desperately out of their organization. Apparently, Artest is complaining to anyone and everyone who'll listen about how much he hates the organization and wishes he'd opted out when he had the chance. Now, he's stuck there, and he's hoping that he can force a trade to a contender. Supposedly, he's even been implying he'd sign a non-guaranteed extension with any team he'd get traded to, just as long as he's away from the Kings.

I do not know if anyone read this article by Marc Stein from the other day but Mr. Maloof mentions that 6 teams have inquired about Artest. Stein lists the Lakers, Mavs, Cavs and Heat.

Article here

quote:
Originally posted by In The Know:

With that said here is the specific trade that is supposedly being discussed:

Ron Artest , Kenny Thomas(who we'd likely buy out), and a 2009 second round pick for Hedo Turkoglu, JJ Redick, Brian Cook, and Keith Bogans and a 2009 lottery protected first round pick.

Welcome in the forum!

Your first post is really good and complete, but I wouldn't do this trade unless a gun is pointed on my head...

Artest is a fantastic player, but everywhere he goes he's going to create some problems, and I don't think that this is going to change in Orlando.

But even without his attitude problems, there is no way I would take a bad contract (Thomas) while giving up half of our bench (Bogans, Redick, Cook) and a 1st round pick too.

This would left us with a very thin rotation, a bigger hole at PF, and the same problem with luxury tax (I don't think that Artest would accept a cheaper extension than Hedo)