Sign in to follow this  
DLO

Generation Kill

quote:
Originally posted by DLO:

Has anyone else gotten hooked to this show recently?

I watched the first episode. I taped the 2nd episode (last night) but haven't watched it yet.

I was excited to watch this because it is by the same guys that did "The Wire." So it should be well-written, heavy on "message," and realistic/accurate. I'll leave it for the actual military experts to say whether the depictions of Marine life and battle are accurate, but I definitely enjoyed the first episode.

One thing I am concerned about: I can already see that the show is going to focus strongly on the bloodthirsty mindset of the typical enlisted Marine. While this mindset is no doubt accurate among many Marines, I don't think it is fair to say that every Marine feels this way.

Shows like this tend to paint with a broad brush and Mr. Average Joe American sitting at home will thus think that this represents the entire Marine Corps.

I watched the second one last night and thought it was very well done. They got into action and the varied responses to it by different characters made it seem very real.

Good stuff so far! Don't want to say too much for those who have not seen it yet.

I have a question for anyone who enjoy shows like this and games like God of War, Halo, and others in the same vain. Why do you have such an obsession, or curiosity with death and destruction?

Also is this a sign that we are evolving or devolving? Signs of the end of the Roman empire? Hmmm. Again.

Anybody up for some real Gladiators action?

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

I have a question for anyone who enjoy shows like this and games like God of War, Halo, and others in the same vain. Why do you have such an obsession, or curiosity with death and destruction?

Also is this a sign that we are evolving or devolving? Signs of the end of the Roman empire? Hmmm. Again.

I have a strong hatred for video game alien life forms. Not the real ones if they exist, just the Xbox 360 versions. Are you kidding me?

quote:

The curiosity stems in large part from the notion that if aliens invade the Earth, we as a species should mess them up.

Would you prefer that every game be something like: "The Adventures of Johnny Lawful- Peacefully driving the speed limit in Patriotic American City". Because news flash: No one is going to buy that game.

And a large part of the decline of the Roman Empire that you're ignoring was an over-expansion of territory, which caused a shortage of supplies and defenses in any one area, as well as a dilution of military integrity. The gladiator fights existed for hundreds of years before the decline, and existed during the heights of the empire as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Signs of the end of the Roman empire?

And a large part of the decline of the Roman Empire that you're ignoring was an over-expansion of territory, which caused a shortage of supplies and defenses in any one area, as well as a dilution of military integrity. The gladiator fights existed for hundreds of years before the decline, and existed during the heights of the empire as well.

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

By DOM:

quote:
And a large part of the decline of the Roman Empire that you're ignoring was an over-expansion of territory, which caused a shortage of supplies and defenses in any one area, as well as a dilution of military integrity.

Over-Expansion of territory= Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran?, Venezuela?, Sound familiar?

shortage of supplies and defenses= How about military service personnel on their 14th straight month in Iraq, only to be told we need you for another 3 months. I'd say our military is stretched about as thin as it can get.

dilution of military integrity= Around the world we have lost integrity due to our EMPIRE lust.

Thank you for proving my point DOM. You are the best. The jokes were funny too.

quote:

By DOM:

quote:
And a large part of the decline of the Roman Empire that you're ignoring was an over-expansion of territory, which caused a shortage of supplies and defenses in any one area, as well as a dilution of military integrity.

Over-Expansion of territory= Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran?, Venezuela?, Sound familiar?

shortage of supplies and defenses= How about military service personnel on their 14th straight month in Iraq, only to be told we need you for another 3 months. I'd say our military is stretched about as thin as it can get.

dilution of military integrity= Around the world we have lost integrity due to our EMPIRE lust.

Thank you for proving my point DOM. You are the best. The jokes were funny too.

To understand how screwed up the Roman army was at the end, imagine if the United States had less than half its current population, 2 to 3 times the standing army size, with most of the soldiers doing 10-20 YEARS of military service at a time, all while stretched out over a territory about twice the size of the continental United States, and all existing in a time frame where moving reinforcements from Rome to Bavaria was an ordeal that took months and involved crossing the Alps, rather than a brief flight in the back of a cargo jet, and you'd start to understand why the problems with the Roman Army being spread thin have little to nothing in common with the way America's army is stretched thin.

And since you were completely wrong in interpreting what was meant by "dilution of military integrity", you should probably just move on to another thread.

I don't know if there are any other Vietnam Vets on the board. I am hooked on Generation Kill and think it must be pretty realistic. A lot of the trite sayings were the same ones we used in Nam, just updated a bit. We were always ragging on one another, just like they do.

I flew helicopters in Nam in an Air Cavalry Troop. I am pretty amazed at the special effects in the show. I think they made the show in Africa. It really looks realistic.

As to the horrors of war, and empire lust, there will always be hawks and doves. I imagine a lot of dissent would have occured in Rome too, except they would literally crucify you if complained back then.

Any war is tough, but this one has the advantage of clear air superiority, and massive firepower advantages on the ground. But any casualty is rough. I have a lot of respect, and understanding of what these troops are going through. Even in the video games you can tell the difference between friendlies and the bad guys for the most part.

There is no EMPIRE lust among the soldiers over there. Just a wish to survive and a hope that they can do what they were trained for.

This is a much more fair view of the action over there than almost all of the other films on Iraq.

Empire lust is always among the leaders of a government, you know the guys who don't have to kill anyone or be killed. These chicken hawks who run our country in other words. And DOM as far as not knowing what you meant by military integrity, I knew exactly what you meant, just intentionally defined it another way. Of course our military integrity is fine with over half the budget going to it. But the people doing the dirty work for these chicken hawks, their integrity is being pushed to the limit.

But getting back to the question. Why are you people so intrigued by war and killing, that you choose to watch shows or play games that glorify these things?