Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Steve Kyler's take on the Magic/Memphis talks (update, pg. 10)

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

OMG, I would do this deal so fast I would have done it yesterday. J.J. Redick and a future first for our future long term starting point guard?

But is he? I know I'm flip flopping here but why is Memphis looking to give up the guy? Just because Lowry and Gay are buddies? Conley is 6-1 so to me it would make more sense to compliment him with a bigger PG like Crit. I just haven't seen Crit play enough to get an idea of what the guy has.

I guess it sounded nicer when it was Bogans that was going with a 1st because Bogans duplicates what Pietrus does. I know that sounds stupid because I should be very happy to get something for JJ but JJ and the first seems to sting a little.

All the stories I'm hearing about J.J., and I heard more yesterday I have serious doubts if he'll ever be able to accomplish anything in this organization.

I'm going to investigate the Redick situation more thoroughly in time it's just that right now my attention is more tuned in to the back-up point guard situation.

I agree Fendi, with your point about using Jarvis in a Dooling type role.

quote:

Really? It seems to me that he picked up AJ to fill Dooling's role.

You guys also need to consider that every GM around the league will be reluctant to take JJ off our hands, knowing that he will likely not receive the team option next year. So, essentially, if JJ is of value to any of the other teams around the league, they can pick him up as an unrestricted free agent next offseason. Why pay now, if al they need to do is wait and get him for a song?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

IMO, AJ was picked up to fill Arroyo's role. Vet, spot starter when Jameer misses 10-15 games with yet another concussion.

quote:

quote:

The more guys you can have that can play multiple positions the better.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The more guys you can have that can play multiple positions the better.

Gotcha. You are referring to replacing his role as a combo-guard. I was referring to his role as a defensive taller PG.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I guess it sounded nicer when it was Bogans that was going with a 1st because Bogans duplicates what Pietrus does. I know that sounds stupid because I should be very happy to get something for JJ but JJ and the first seems to sting a little.

Am I missing something here? Didn't Bogans play a large role at shooting guard for this team last year AHEAD of JJ who couldn't get off the bench if it was on fire.

I know that's why I said it sounded stupid, I don't know why it bothers me. I feel like we are giving up a 1st and a failed gamble for another gamble. It's almost like starting the whole draft process all over for me.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

the price tag may be too rich for Orlando's blood.

Same old, same old.

The deal on the table for Redick and a first for Crittenton is a no brainer for tmany reasons.

First and foremost, JJ does not have value on our team. He is currently our 4th string SG. Regardless of where he was drafted 3 years ago, regardless of his "perceived" value on these boards, regardless of his potential, that is his value. Other teams throughout the league are not going to ante up big time for a lottery pick that can't find minutes in one of the worst backcourts in the NBA (the last two years).

We already heard reports that GM's were only willing to offer 2nd round picks for JJ in trade scenarios on draft day. What's changed in the last couple of weeks? Nothing in JJ's favor. If anything, things actually got worse with the addittion of Lee ahead of him on the depth charts.

Secondly, we need a PG. Anthony Johnson was a nice addition, but he's certainly not the answer. If Memphis is willing to dangle Crit, IMO he would be the best fit for our team backing up Jameer. And he is young enough, and taented enough to one day make Jameer expendable.

Expendability is a big factor. This team needs to start planning for Dwight's prime. Shard, Turk, and the key vets we have now won't be here in 5 years.

Third, and this is the most important factor in making this deal yesterday, the Magic need financial flexibility. If they plan on extending Turk, this deal would be perfect. With JJ's salary moving, combined with the lost salary slot that is reserved for 1st round picks, and only the addition of Crit, the Magic would be saving 2+ million for next year's offseason.

You see, this deal cant be viewed on a talent for talent basis alone. Two first round picks for one first round pick doesn;t look good at first glance. But if you factor in that it would provide the Magic with the financial flexibility needed to extend Turk, or bring in another full MLE player to replace the loss of Turk (without paying the luxury tax), than the deal would look like this.

JJ/1st round pick for Critt/the ability to sign Turk minus paying luxury taxes.

Like I said before, this is an absolute no brainer...especially from a business persepctive.

Frankly, I'm surprised this deal wasn't completed days ago.

Bump!!!

Those of us that are initially balking at the Crittendon price tag that Kyler is reporting are doing so because in our minds, Crittendon is just as much of an unknown. JJ may be worthless in Orlando (and maybe around the league), but up till now, the Magic have been reluctant to trade him. The same can't be said for Crittendon. Apparently, he is about to be dumped by his second team in one year.

This is a negotiation. Otis is doing his due diligence and trying to make the best deal. Are other teams clamoring for Crittendon's services? I doubt it. If we get Crittendon and it costs us JJ and a 1st, fine. But it seems to me that this GM game is being played as they ususally are.

Finally, if I'm Otis Smith and I have any pride at all, no way do I make a bad deal with the GM that took Crittendon, Kwame, etc. for Gasol.

Crittenton is an unknown. But, he's an unknown at a position we need to fill.

Let me ask you guys this. Do you think JJ's going to get playing time with the magic this year behind Pietrus, Lee and Bogans? Do you think the Magic would pick up his 4th year option at 2.8 million next year once again warm the bench?

Redick's name and Duke legacy is the only thing of value in the NBA. His ability/reputation as a player, is that of a 4th string SG with the Magic.

I think Otis sees something in JJ thats why he is still reluctant in trading him. I think the fact that JJ can fill up the score board with points is something Otis is considering, he just wants to see if JJ's off court attitude improves. IIRC, someone mentioned JJ has a big ego off the court.

Never the less, I think if we are dealing JJ, its going to be a mid-season trade. I know Otis knows that given the PT, JJ can score and will attract teams. And will therefore have value. I see JJ going something like what happened with Ariza. Wherein, he surprisingly got minutes then dealt right away.

I think Otis is just playing the waiting game on JJ. I know Otis knows that JJ simply won't sign an extension with us. Similar to the Ariza scenario last year.

I still think though that Otis needs to hold his ground with Javaris for Bogans and a 1st though. I think JJ, who is still unproven if I may say given the less PT, and a 1st [an asset] for Javaris is too much for a prospect.

As LOD has said, Javaris is on the brink of getting dumped by his 2nd team is a year's span. Not to mention Jerry West, a good talent evaluator, is part of that 2nd team.