Sign in to follow this  
otis_smith

Would you....

Sign Hedo to an extension to S&T him to Atlanta plus 2 first round draft picks (2009 and 2011) and fillers for Josh Smith (assume he signed a 5 year 60 million dollar deal)?

Sign Hedo to an extension to S&T him to Atlanta plus 2 first round draft picks (2009 and 2011) and fillers for Josh Smith (assume he signed a 5 year 60 million dollar deal)?

quote:
Originally posted by otis_smith:

Sign Hedo to an extension to S&T him to Atlanta plus 2 draft picks and fillers for Josh Smith?

Hmmm....this one is interesting......can we assume that Smith is being signed to a long-term contract?

Yeah, I would easily do this trade, it just makes sense. And in all honesty, we wouldn't need these late 1st round draft picks because we would have to give them money, and with the core of players we have at that time, that wouldn't be necessary.

quote:

Why yes.

Yes I would.

quote:

That deal would make us the bonified ECF lock for at least the next 3-4 seasons! The Celtics are aging that would make us "NEXT"!!!!

I'm sure 99% of the people on this board would go for this, but give me one good reason why Atlanta would? This would be a terrible trade for them. We all like Hedo, but his value around the league is not even on the same planet as Josh Smith.

You have to keep in mind Orlando is a franchise that does not like paying the luxury tax and we would be paying it in order to contend.

I guess you would have to look at whether or not the expected revenue would outweigh the cost of having to pay the luxury tax every year. Heck, NY does it icon_smile.gif

To answer the question of why would Atlanta do it...They are not a team known to spend a lot of money, instead of letting Smith walk, why not get some return for him, in the likes of Hedo, JJ, and some first round picks.

Obviously Atlanta only does this trade if they don't want to pay Smith the big bucks

Can we afford to pay another player 12 million a year? With how much we have locked into Howard, Lewis, Pietrus and Nelson over the next few years I dont see how we could afford to compensate a player like that and put good pieces around them. If we could, I think I would be for it. Smith plays the PF so we can move Lewis back to SF. Also Smith is 7 years younger than Hedo.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I'm sure 99% of the people on this board would go for this, but give me one good reason why Atlanta would? This would be a terrible trade for them. We all like Hedo, but his value around the league is not even on the same planet as Josh Smith.

I would agree with you about the value, but one or the other will have to leave Atlanta, the sad part is, no one is paying the price of admission to see Woodson! Woodson(s) are a dime a dozen, so the fact is I expect to see him moved before Smith! It is a very enteraining/provocative thought! Thanks.

This may be the first good Hedo trade idea I've heard all summer. It does indeed move Lewis to SF full time where he freggin' belongs, Josh Smith is way younger, and way better defensively... I think that's the understatement of the year.

However Josh doesn't have close to the handles or passing that Hedo does, it would put pressure on Jameer to finally step up as a distributor and game manager. Meanwhile, Atlanta could really use Hedo's ball skills with a *cough* point guard like Mike Bibby.

Yeah... I would do this but I think ATL would be much less likely to than Orlando would.