quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

Here's something that works under the cap.

New Jersey trades Marcus Williams and Stromile Swift.

Orlando trades Brian Cook and a re-signed Keyon Dooling for $4mil/yr.

We know that Otis nearly acquired Swift a couple years ago, and now we would just be taking a one year flier on him. This trade could also be reworked to replace Brian Cook with Keith Bogans and re-sign Dooling for a little over $3mil/yr.

Guys you don't get it, the issue is that the magic don't have $3m to sign for a back up pg. If they have 3m available they will give that money to Dooling, but they don't. I'll keep mention A. Johnson because he still in the mix.

No, you don't get it. We have Keyon's Bird Rights, so we COULD sign him for the Max if we really wanted to. The issue is we don't want to pay him, not that we cant.

If the Magic were to S&T Keyon for, lets say, 3.5m, they would only be required to take on about 2.8m in contracts. 2.8m nets you Sean Williams and Marcus Williams. Pick up Marcus Williams's option for 2009/10, don't pick up Sean Williams's, and you've got a backup point guard for 2 years at about 1.7m a year.

Marcus Williams, however, still gives you another terrible defender at the point.

You are right they can sign Dooling for 10M a seson if they want, but the issue here is that they don't want go over the luxury tax.

And in any of these scenarios, they WILL NOT. We'll go over the salary cap to fill out the roster, sure, but the luxury tax level is almost $13 million above the cap line. Not a chance we add that much to our books. Plus, it's not like contracts have to match up year-for-year in a trade. They just have to be close in the first year only. So we can trade a re-signed Keyon for 4 years at $3.5 million and receive two players whose combined contract value is around $3.5 million for ONE year. Those contracts expire, and we SAVE money.

These options are VERY feasible, not to mention financially responsible, so don't be so pessimistic, yet.

quote:
Marcus Williams, Sean Williams and Josh Boone and the expiring contracts of Keith Van Horn and Stromile Swift are assets the Nets can use. Restricted free agent Nenad Krstic also is a candidate for a sign-and-trade. His agent, Marc Cornstein, said there has been "a lot of talk" about Krstic, but nothing was close.

Would be nice to get MArcus and Sean here icon_biggrin.gif

Marcus Williams is a good prospect and maybe has a lot of up side right now. However, it worries me that he is still an inexperiencedPG and the Nets fans feel that he plays better when he gets to start the games, but not as good when he's coming from the bench. That would exactly be his case here with the Magic.

FG%390 3p%328 FT%826 APG 3.0 TO 1.64

Williams has started in only 9 games and has played in only 132 games for 16.4MPG.

I will love to trade for Marcus Williams and Sean Banks. These two will add great depth to our bench. Marcus is a pass first point guard we need, plus he can score too.

What do you guys think of Ramon Sessions? He was putting up great numbers last year towards the end. Do you think we have a shot at him? He only makes 712 000 in the 2008/2009 season.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Lowry for Bogans? That sounds WAYYYY to good to be true.

yeah, most guys on their board want a future first as well, but they are willing to throw in a filler too.

memphis guys dont really like dark either:

"Having 7 million tied up into Darko next season is a waste of cap space.

Plus it would be a lot easier to get a team to take Milicic back in a Lowry deal than Jaric. All of this assuming that 2009 we would really take a leap to improve.

As far as his talent...Darko is maxed out.

He's not consistent which is what the NBA is all about.

If I could get an expiring vet and a future first (that's in the late teens to early 20's..probably an Eastern Conference team) in a deal with Darko/Lowry...it's done from my end."

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Lowry for Bogans? That sounds WAYYYY to good to be true.

yeah, most guys on their board want a future first as well, but they are willing to throw in a filler too.

Okay.. after reading through this whole thread, this is what I want... and no, I'm not sure if this works under cap rules:

Magic give:

Keith Bogans

2009 1st Round pick

Grizzlies give:

Javaris Crittenton

Andre Brown

I think us giving a 1st rounder in the 20s allows getting Javaris instead of Lowry fair.

I would be very happy with JCritt or Lowry and another PF. Otis would clearly be here to win championships, and hed prove it to us all.

I am beginning to have faith in Mr. Smith.

quote:
Originally posted by allstarme:

I'm not so sure that it's Bogans for Lowry/Critt. If it's a sign and trade, like Jambo suggests, then it quite possibly involves us trading Keyon Dooling, the only player with which we have Bird Rights.

Look at this little nugget from NorthJersey.com.

quote:
A backup point guard remains a priority. The Nets may have nearly $2 million left in the midlevel exception, but it may not be enough for another target - Keyon Dooling. To create roster room, though, the Nets could try to make two-for-one, or three-for-two trades.

"There's going to be other moves made," said a person with knowledge of the Nets' thinking.

Marcus Williams, Sean Williams and Josh Boone and the expiring contracts of Keith Van Horn and Stromile Swift are assets the Nets can use. Restricted free agent Nenad Krstic also is a candidate for a sign-and-trade. His agent, Marc Cornstein, said there has been "a lot of talk" about Krstic, but nothing was close.

Maybe the deal hinges around a re-signed Dooling and M. Williams. This makes a lot of sense to me. Orlando picks up short contracts to avoid paying future luxury, and New Jersey gets a reported "target." Remember, the two teams have been playing together for the past week in Orlando playing summer league games, so the exec's have had plenty of time to talk.

I would have absolutely no problem doing this. I love Marcus Williams' game.