Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Tim Povtak says Vince Carter ain't leaving the Nets!

If this was some other sportswriter I would just blow it off as sports gossip. Tim is what I would consider a pretty reliable dude. That's why this scares me.

I know some of you guys don't want him either but put me "on" the Carter wagon! I'm a season ticket holder and in Otis podcast to us on Friday in his free agency comments he didn't mention names but he described the player we need this summer. It sounded exactly like Vince Carter. Someone who can create their own shot, get to the foul line or create for others in late-game situations. I just don't see anybody else out there that could fit this role for us as well as Vince. Oh well, on to his comments:

quote:
Teams waiting for Vince Carter to opt out of his contract to become a free agent this summer are going to be disappointed. Carter and the Nets already are talking about an extension there. He wants something like three years and $60 million. The Nets are hoping for something like three years and $45 million. He isn't going anywhere.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-povtakc...umn?page=2&track=rss

If this was some other sportswriter I would just blow it off as sports gossip. Tim is what I would consider a pretty reliable dude. That's why this scares me.

I know some of you guys don't want him either but put me "on" the Carter wagon! I'm a season ticket holder and in Otis podcast to us on Friday in his free agency comments he didn't mention names but he described the player we need this summer. It sounded exactly like Vince Carter. Someone who can create their own shot, get to the foul line or create for others in late-game situations. I just don't see anybody else out there that could fit this role for us as well as Vince. Oh well, on to his comments:

quote:
Teams waiting for Vince Carter to opt out of his contract to become a free agent this summer are going to be disappointed. Carter and the Nets already are talking about an extension there. He wants something like three years and $60 million. The Nets are hoping for something like three years and $45 million. He isn't going anywhere.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-povtakc...umn?page=2&track=rss

I guess Rashard is the target now unless they really believe they can get Gerald. I am just praying that we are not going to do the 06-07 season part II. I don't think I can take another one of these.

I dont think we SHOULD get gerald wallace, we dont need another defensive stopper @ SF/SG, we already have an up-and-coming one in trevor ariza, we need rashard lewis, someone who can score, take over games, and knock down the 3 ball...

I think Tim is just going off that NJ article from around 8 days ago. His comments are almost identical = bad journalism (he should give the paper credit). Did he quote Carter or anyone? More poor Sentinel reporting, imo.

Anyway, I am not worried. After hearing Otis the other day (season tix holder chat), he said we will be very aggressive in acquiring a go-to guy this summer ... either via fa, trades, etc. Keep the faith.

I know what Gerald Wallace can do. I don't follow Seattle since their season has been so poor and they are way up in the Pacific Northwest.

I know Rashard Lewis can shoot. I remember the game last year against us when he scored like 50 I think. My big question is, "can he create his own shot, create for others and get to the foul line in crunch time"?

Anybody have an opinion?

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

I dont think we SHOULD get gerald wallace, we dont need another defensive stopper @ SF/SG, we already have an up-and-coming one in trevor ariza, we need rashard lewis, someone who can score, take over games, and knock down the 3 ball...

Exactly what I think. I am pretty sure Lewis can create his own shot beause his scoring has gone up even with Ray Allen being injured. If Hill does not come back then Rashard can take his minutes and Turk can be our spoark off the bench (where I think he plays better anways). Then we could have Ariza and Reddick split time at shooting guard.

I knew Vince would take the money on an aging team that has missed their window, rather than help lead a young talented team on the upswing. That is exactly why I didnt want him in the fist place.

Junkie, what is interesting is how much Otis spoke of having a SF who can create his own shot. Interesting. Maybe Lewis (or Maggette) is our target.

The Nets and VC are pretty far a part right now on money. I still think we can entice Vince with a longer term deal than the Nets are willing to do.

After reading this, I still don't think Vince will remain in NJ and he will sign with us. Just my gut feeling; maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right? Who knows? Nothing we can do but wail till July to find out.

I would take Corey over Rashard any day of the weak. My cousin who lives in Oregon and watches alot of portland and seattle(nba package) says the one thing Rashard doesn't do is create his own shot he is a jump shooter in every sense of the word. Corey on the other hand just going off what he told me and my own judgement which is very little living in dallas. Corey seems to be able to get into the lane and get fouls when needed etc... so I would take him over Rashard.

Don't forget Corey won't cost as much as Vince he is probably younger and doesn't have KNEE PROBLEMS. let Vince old aging as rott on the nets salary cap as long as he sees fit.

One More thing we don't have to have just a SF it could be a SG because of Ariza's ability to play the 2 3 and 4 spots on the floor. Hey Isiah how is that Hall of Fame backcourt working out for you. You give us a SCRUB in your mind for a Superstar who isn't a superstar and we get a Rising Star to go with Jameer Darko and D12. **** if this is how you get a multiyear coaching deal which leaves you as GM I want to win your job for a day. As SMART (lol) as you are you could find some way to make a contest where a normal fan wins your GM/Coach for a day job and makes you look like an ***.

Atleast Brian Hill plays guys like Ariza and Now JJ. Isaih would have traded them and his next two first round picks for for Dekembe Mutombo by now.