Sign in to follow this  
Hutchence

Sonics are OK bound

I really feel for the fans of Seattle. They didn't deserve getting dumped on by Bennett and the league. Stern has really become a joke with this controversy and the obvious referee blunders that he either ignores or more likely encourages. This is a real shame....and it could have just as easily been the Magic if our arena deal hadn't gotten approved.

That's terrible news! I feel bad for all Sonics fans... I'm just glad we get to keep our Magic for a long, long time. I would have quit watching basketball if they had left.

Oklahoma City is not allowed to use the name or the team colors of the SuperSonics so does that mean a possible rebirth of the SuperSonics

I'm very happy about this, since I live in Arksnsas. Now for the first time in almost 3 years I can see the Magic in person!

quote:
Originally posted by Big EB:

Oklahoma City is not allowed to use the name or the team colors of the SuperSonics so does that mean a possible rebirth of the SuperSonics

i hope so, i really hope so... i'll miss the seattle supersonics. i remember them in the '96 finals against the bulls. payton, hawkins, schrempf, kemp, perkins, mcmillan, kersey, george karl...

quote:
Originally posted by Big EB:

As far as i know, and i could be wrong, Seattle reached an agreement that if the league adds another expansion team or a franchise will be moved they will be in the mix.

So there is hope for them. The city of Seattle wasn't without fault but it always sucks for the fans.

quote:
Originally posted by Rojogrande:

The Supersonics name, colors, and uniforms will remain in Seattle for a future team whether that be by expansion or another team relocating.

Will that "future team" get the Sonics' 1979 Championshipbanner, too? Or does the championship belong to the new Oklahoma team?

I'm kinda confused here. Is this a similar situation like when the Bullets renamed themselves to Wizards (they kept the "team-history" so to speak). Or do we pretend like the Sonics left the NBA and a new team (without team-history) joins the NBA at the beginning of next season?

I don't get any of this. The city is saying they will renovate Key Arena so they can compete for a franchise in the future. Why not just agree to that before the Sonics left? Now they are going to have to try and get an expansion team (which will really suck because it will further water down the talent pool, not to mention that the people in Seattle will have to start all over with no Durant or Green) or try and steal a team from another city. Stern is creating an environment where cities steal from one another so the fans and cities have no leverage.

Stern needs to go, this is another example of his greed and lack of concern for the fans. If this keeps up we will have teams switching cities every 20yrs and there will be no fan loyalty. He is going to hurt the league with this crap.

They couldn't agree to upgrade the Arena before the Sonics left because that offer was already made, and REFUSED by the new owners and Stern himself.

The jack*** (Stern) has the nerve to shoot down their offer to renovate the Arena for the Sonics, letting the Sonics leave, then turning around and suggesting that a renovated arena would help their chances at getting a new team? Seriously?

quote:
Originally posted by Sebi:

quote:
Originally posted by Rojogrande:

The Supersonics name, colors, and uniforms will remain in Seattle for a future team whether that be by expansion or another team relocating.

Will that "future team" get the Sonics' 1979 Championshipbanner, too? Or does the championship belong to the new Oklahoma team?

I'm kinda confused here. Is this a similar situation like when the Bullets renamed themselves to Wizards (they kept the "team-history" so to speak). Or do we pretend like the Sonics left the NBA and a new team (without team-history) joins the NBA at the beginning of next season?

Duplicates are going to be made according to what I read. Duplicate banners and all that stuff so it will be displayed in the new OKC team's building as well as any future SEA teams building.