Sign in to follow this  
Passenger57

Official 2013 Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League Thread

Easier to take it seriously when several of your projected starters are playing and you're still getting beaten by journeymen from other teams.

Certainly agree with the guy who said our coaching is unproven at best. Have pointed out in prior posts that team regressed during the course of last season. People have posted a variety of explanations for that but it's certainly not a ringing endorsement of the current coaching crew.

Several projected starters? Projected by who...the message board? Honestly until Afflalo's dealt you can't say for sure that any of the guys that have played summer league are guaranteed starters. This SL team has 2 starters at the most, and more than likely it only has 1.

Right now our starting 5 if the roster didn't change is more than likely...

Jameer

Afflalo

Tobias

Big Baby

Vucevic

With Big Baby still "being hurt" that opens the door for Mo or Vic maybe as we'll probably slide Tobias to the 4 but the whole "several starters" talk is greatly exaggerated. This isn't a video game, you can't just bench the guys you're trying to trade especially if you want some value in return.

The only thing I think I can add to Dom's text wall is our entire team is playing roles that are above what they should be asked to do. That results in inconsistency and inefficiency.

Moore was a 6th man and spot starter when he's destined to be an end of the bench energy guy. It's no surprise he played poorly at the end.

The only thing I think I can add to Dom's text wall is our entire team is playing roles that are above what they should be asked to do. That results in inconsistency and inefficiency.

Moore was a 6th man and spot starter when he's destined to be an end of the bench energy guy. It's no surprise he played poorly at the end.

I think i remember his elbow injury also being a big reason why Moore dropped off a bit aswell..

He doesn't seem like the sort to particularly need other's approbation, but I have to say, DOM's posts are one of the main reasons I read this board.

Not needed, but certainly appreciated.

Glad you enjoy what I do here.

I know Olapido's not shooting great, but, I am loving how terrible MCW and Burke are shooting. Looking forward to seeing Oli take on MCW.

On the same page of a Summer League thread, we have someone quoting Man of La Mancha and someone using the word "approbation" correctly.

My mind, she is blown.

This explains quite a bit.

This explains quite a bit.

I get it. It's because I'm a woman. You're very clever.

Anyway, if anyone needed further evidence that trying to figure out much of anything of value from Summer League is ridiculous, I have two links for you:

Link number 1.

Link number 2.

It's a wonder how we didn't dominate the league in 2003 with such Summer League heavyweights as Reece Gaines and Keith Bogans.

Anyway, if anyone needed further evidence that trying to figure out much of anything of value from Summer League is ridiculous, I have two links for you:

Link number 1.

Link number 2.

It's a wonder how we didn't dominate the league in 2003 with such Summer League heavyweights as Reece Gaines and Keith Bogans.

I really wish we could find out who the scout was that felt that Reece was going to be very good for Orlando. It took about 3 regular season games to show he didn't belong on the floor...or the league for that matter.

Strongly disagree with this.

Team needs to be showing improvement every year. There should be milestones for improvement set and hopefully reached. Otherwise you develop a culture of losing that is very hard to break. Not worth the risk.

Some of the strongest Magic supporters on this board may not care if it takes 3-7 years to build the team back up to respectability. But the team will lose support from everyone else. How long will the Magic stay in Orlando with an empty arena and low TV ratings? Again, not worth the risk.

As someone who lives in Seattle and saw that whole thing go down in real time, it's a completely different situation and world we live in now. Take Seattle's attempt to buy out the Sacramento Kings and move them to the Emerald City. Failed because 1) Stern wants to punish Seattle for a few kickers they tried to hoist on the Sonics and the new stadium (he doesn't want owners to pay for stadiums - only tax money. lots and lots of tax money) and 2) he got so much bad press for how the Sonics theft went down that he doesn't want to relive that.

Unless everyone in Orlando stops going to games and a bigger market opens up elsewhere, the Magic will probably stay put. Orlando isn't Vancouver.

Link number 1.

Link number 2.

And a feisty, pantsuit-wearing one. This is working for me.