Sign in to follow this  
allstarme

Report: Maggette off the market? (Hoopsworld)

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by omagic133:

1080 AM will have Denton talking about Maggette at the bottom of the hr. if anyone is interested

Can you give us info on it as they broadcast it?

Yea man, I'm on it. I'll post as he speaks.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Levation1331:

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but Maggette going to SA could be a blessing in disguise for us. He simply does not fit our team. Scoring was not our problem last year, we have 3 20pt scorers. Maggette has never been known as a good defender, and it is true that he has played mostly the SF position in his career.

Maggette would only make our team look great on paper, or in a fantasy league, but he would not help us win games. We have our core of players, and now is the time to strategically surround them with solid role players, such as a Duhon, or Pietrus.

Yes, many feel that we need that one big piece to really make us a contender, but you guys are forgetting that we have the biggest piece in the NBA, a growing, developing, still super young Dwight Howard. Lets get someone like pietrus, duhon, kurt thomas, and see what Lee can bring. If our players improve over the summer, we should be able to compete with Boston, and Detroit.

Scoring was a problem in the playoffs at times & that's why Maggette makes sense. It would be nice to have 1 player, 1 guard, who can go one on one, & get points when we need them.

With that said, I agree with the sentiment of your post, I just don't trust Otis & Co. to get it done. I liked our chances to get Maggette because he was basically begging to come here.

Would I rather have Pietrus & Duhon or Maggette? I would rather have Pietrus, period.

I disagree. We are not title contenders with the current roster and a few "solid" additions.

Howard is the only unstoppable guy we have.

Turk and Shard are near star players, but elite teams usually can handle them both. Great defenders lock them up, and as we saw against the Pistons, we lack offensive when we play vs. that kind of teams.

If we got one more player who is at the same level as Turk and Shard (Corey), the best teams wouldn't be able to stop them all.

Solid additions (Pietrus OR Duhon) will make us slightly better, but will not raise us to elite level.

I'm feeling down about the Maggette thing, because we really don't have the chance to get a player like him. This was going to be a real steal, and we will not be able to get someone like him in a long time.

I'm just really hoping Lee can develop into something similar to Corey in the next 2 years...

Denton says Maggette coming is more realistic than it was at the beginning of the week...magic made a pitch to him so far...blah blah..magic thinking about splitting the MLE...nothing new there...Says that the Magic can throw the whole MLE at Maggette and still resign Keyon because we have bird rights...says that miami might steal him away...Says that the magic might explore with Maggs at the 2, lewis at the 3, battie at the 4, and turk to the bench...doesn't know if Turk will be up to that...who do u think is the biggest player for maggette? he says, the spurs are a real force to get him since they tried aquiring him 3 yrs ago. says boston is probably not gonna offer him the full MLE...says spurs r the favorite right now... says the magic are not willing to go above luxury tax in this market..

Nothing new really...

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

1080 AM will have Denton talking about Maggette at the bottom of the hr. if anyone is interested

Can you give us info on it as they broadcast it?

Yea man, I'm on it. I'll post as he speaks.

I'm almost hoping he confirms Maggette won't be coming here. I want him bad, but it doesn't look like it will happen and I'm finally starting to get over it. I don't want any small hope still to only be crushed.

I'd rather we focus on guys like Pietrus now.

Jerry O'neill on 1080 says that we need to get Maggz here. Says that our team was 27th in the league in salaries, and that for us to be champion contenders we need to go over the luxury tax.

Who here agrees?

I think it's time for the organization to take some risks

I don't think we have much of a choice in the lux tax department, aren't we close to it now?

If that is the case they better trade Turk this offseason or by the deadline because he isn't going to ask for less money than what he makes now.

quote:
says the magic are not willing to go above luxury tax in this market..

thats the reason i don't see this happening. the front office has this mentally...we dont have the kind of revenue to pay the tax and with this new arena deal we can not take on new debt(literally, banks arent going to give us more money. DeVos already gave a bunch for the arena project too). signing maggs and matching what dooling wants and the VLE would most certainly put us over. and then say goodbye for sure to using turks bird rights next offseason. we def cant pay that much tax until we get a few playoff runs with the new arena revenue.

b4 getting upset with the Otis and more relevantly the front office. lets not forget how GOOD of a job the front office has done in getting that new arena. a year ago it looked doubtful to happen. its going to be HUGE for this franchise. we can spend over the lux cap all we want in 4-5 years. Thats when dwight is going to be his most dominatant.

I've heard the Luxury Tax threshold is going to be about $70 million this year.

Currently, the Magic roster has guranateed contracts that come to $57,707,842.

That leaves over 12 million to sign free agents or resign players to the roster.

Maggette would take $5.8 of that, so basically he would command half of what the Magic could spend. That leaves the Magic with $6 million to spend on filling out the roster.

I think it can be done by getting players in on the vets min. and the LLE.

The Magic can sign Maggette and still fill out the roster and aviod the luxury tax but that's just my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Caco:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Levation1331:

I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but Maggette going to SA could be a blessing in disguise for us. He simply does not fit our team. Scoring was not our problem last year, we have 3 20pt scorers. Maggette has never been known as a good defender, and it is true that he has played mostly the SF position in his career.

Maggette would only make our team look great on paper, or in a fantasy league, but he would not help us win games. We have our core of players, and now is the time to strategically surround them with solid role players, such as a Duhon, or Pietrus.

Yes, many feel that we need that one big piece to really make us a contender, but you guys are forgetting that we have the biggest piece in the NBA, a growing, developing, still super young Dwight Howard. Lets get someone like pietrus, duhon, kurt thomas, and see what Lee can bring. If our players improve over the summer, we should be able to compete with Boston, and Detroit.

Scoring was a problem in the playoffs at times & that's why Maggette makes sense. It would be nice to have 1 player, 1 guard, who can go one on one, & get points when we need them.

With that said, I agree with the sentiment of your post, I just don't trust Otis & Co. to get it done. I liked our chances to get Maggette because he was basically begging to come here.

Would I rather have Pietrus & Duhon or Maggette? I would rather have Pietrus, period.

I disagree. We are not title contenders with the current roster and a few "solid" additions.

Howard is the only unstoppable guy we have.

Turk and Shard are near star players, but elite teams usually can handle them both. Great defenders lock them up, and as we saw against the Pistons, we lack offensive when we play vs. that kind of teams.

If we got one more player who is at the same level as Turk and Shard (Corey), the best teams wouldn't be able to stop them all.

Solid additions (Pietrus OR Duhon) will make us slightly better, but will not raise us to elite level.

I'm feeling down about the Maggette thing, because we really don't have the chance to get a player like him. This was going to be a real steal, and we will not be able to get someone like him in a long time.

I'm just really hoping Lee can develop into something similar to Corey in the next 2 years...

I don't disagree with what you are saying & I believe I've acknowledged that. At the same, defense is the key to championships. The players you label as solid additions are top flight defenders.