Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Dwight/Warlock

Smith/Battie/Cook

Lewis/Bogans/

Pietrus/Lee

Nelson/AJ/Claxton

Problem is - 74.3 mil in salary with those 12 players.

Now if we were able to dump Battie or Cook.

That would be nice.

Claxton's contract alone puts us over the LT.

Hedo & a first round pick for Smith might work though.

Worth it if you feel that makes you an honest competitor for the finals.

Josh Smith could very well resign with ATL. This is why their asking price is so high. The Magic do not have the assets to get him unless something changes and Smith demands to leave. He has not really done that, it's just the media making a big deal over his unhappiness.

Hedo and a future first does not equal Tayshaun AND Maxiel. We can not compete with that one, and that offer did not even get it done.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

Hedo and a future first does not equal Tayshaun AND Maxiel. We can not compete with that one, and that offer did not even get it done.

That's mainly because a deal of Tayshaun and Maxiel won't work under the rules of the CBA. Detroit would be required to take back a contract based on Smith's Base Level status.

There are more than a few offers that we could make that would be competitive with anything that Detroit could offer.

quote:

quote:

That's mainly because a deal of Tayshaun and Maxiel won't work under the rules of the CBA. Detroit would be required to take back a contract based on Smith's Base Level status.

There are more than a few offers that we could make that would be competitive with anything that Detroit could offer.

+1

deals have been getting done for a lot less this offseason than most people would have expected. if we were willing to give up turk, i have little doubt that we could obtain josh smith.

would we be a better team with smith over turk? we would definitely have to pick up another pg.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:

quote:

+1

deals have been getting done for a lot less this offseason than most people would have expected. if we were willing to give up turk, i have little doubt that we could obtain josh smith.

would we be a better team with smith over turk? we would definitely have to pick up another pg.

You know, I was thinking about that too Murphy. We had been hearing for weeks that in order to get Artest you had to be willing to pick up Thomas's bad contract, then they gave him away. I don't know if it's a smoke screen or what but it seems like these GM's bluff's are being called.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

You know, I was thinking about that too Murphy. We had been hearing for weeks that in order to get Artest you had to be willing to pick up Thomas's bad contract, then they gave him away. I don't know if it's a smoke screen or what but it seems like these GM's bluff's are being called.

With that line of thinking, maybe we shouldn't have to take a bad contract on (Buckner, Darko) in order to get Javaris Crittenton?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

What makes this even a tad more interesting is that the article in the Sacremento Bee suggests that the Bobby Jackson acquisition was partly because "he was a fan favorite here from 2000-2005."

If the Kings management actually used that philosophy in making such decisions, you can't tell me that we could not have worked out a reasonable trade that involved Hedo, who was another King fan favorite.

This is a blatant indication that the Magic ownership (note I said ownership, not GM) simply were never interested in obtaining Artest.

If I was a betting man, I'd place any amount of money that SVG would have LOVED a trade like that.

Looking at just the Rockets trade it seems like everyone did call their bluff. I bet every single team they talked to said there was absolutely no way they were taking on Thomas contract. Everyone knew there was no way they were going to take Artest into the season so it was just a matter of waiting them out. Houston seems to be the 1st team to offer them what they want which was an expiring and 2 late firsts essentially. There were also never any reports on this deal like the Gasol deal it just pops up and everyone is like wow how did that happen.

As for Josh Smith I find it hard to believe that no matter what the Magic could come up aside from Dwight that Atlanta would trade him to the same division unless he said I will only play for the Magic work something out and the Magic were willing to meet his contract demands. Atlanta's ownership might be stupid but they would be handing the Magic a championship on a platter. I would love for them to do that but I doubt they do.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

Looking at just the Rockets trade it seems like everyone did call their bluff. I bet every single team they talked to said there was absolutely no way they were taking on Thomas contract. Everyone knew there was no way they were going to take Artest into the season so it was just a matter of waiting them out. Houston seems to be the 1st team to offer them what they want which was an expiring and 2 late firsts essentially. There were also never any reports on this deal like the Gasol deal it just pops up and everyone is like wow how did that happen.

As for Josh Smith I find it hard to believe that no matter what the Magic could come up aside from Dwight that Atlanta would trade him to the same division unless he said I will only play for the Magic work something out and the Magic were willing to meet his contract demands. Atlanta's ownership might be stupid but they would be handing the Magic a championship on a platter. I would love for them to do that but I doubt they do.

ATL's ownership is pretty screwed up, I wonder if they don't find a way to completely mess up things with Smith and lose him for nothing next offseason.

I will say this though, CHA and Okafor looked to be in the same boat and they eventually came to terms.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

ATL's ownership is pretty screwed up, I wonder if they don't find a way to completely mess up things with Smith and lose him for nothing next offseason.

I will say this though, CHA and Okafor looked to be in the same boat and they eventually came to terms.

Its a little similar except CHA's qualifying offer to Okafor is 7.1 m and Smith's is 3.1 m. Okafor came out and told them he would sign the qualifying offer if they did not sign him and so did Deng and pesto they have new contracts. I do not know if Smith has said he would do that yet.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if, as reported, Smith hasn't requested which teams he would go to, and I would imagine Orlando would be at the top of his list.

In order for us to get him, a couple things have to happen:

First, Otis has to be aggressive. He can't just wait for a deal to come to him.

Second, Atlanta has to either not care or have their backs against the wall. They may be realizing that it is the latter, as it is tough to get back decent value with Smith's BYC status.

Third, Smith has to be picky. While the ball is in Atlanta's court as to who they deal with, Smith has to sign the contract, and therefor must approve as well (which could have been a hold up in the Detroit talks).

If those things happen, which none of them are exactly a longshot, Josh could easily join his buddy next season.