Sign in to follow this  
star_phenom35

Josh Smith and Hawks... difficulties on contract agreement? [Hoopsworld]

He runs the 4, but the Hawks also play small ball. Josh is about 6'9 and weighs, what? 230? Not real big for a 4. Great size for a 3.

I didn't watch the Hawks much this year: anyone see how he guards the 2? Could we run him at the 2, 'Shard at the 3, and some other big at the 4 (either from FA or the draft)?

He plays the 4 better than anyone on our roster. i know the hawks play small ball but he can play good 4. he's put on a lot of weith and his shoulders look strong.

imo he's a 4.

someone quite rightly pointed out that smith wants 11 mil (we should give him it) and salaries wont match with hedo.

spot on

we either s&t or add some pieces

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

He would be great at the 4 for us. Zaza and he bothered the heck out of KG in the playoffs.

Exactly. He can play the 4 against big teams. He is a waste at SF or SG because he is not a good shooter.

I'd trade

Hedo

Battie

JJ

Future First

for

J-Smoove

Solomon Jones

2 things:

1. For those that don't know, Solomon Jones is a 6'10" PF who was pretty solid off the bench for ATL...I see him as a poor man's Milsap...

only one problem...he went to USF!! (Go Knights!)

2. If we resign J-Smoove to 12-12.5 mil, that would actually free cap space up for us, while adding about 1-1.5mil to ATLs salary

If Otis can get Smith without totally ruining our franchise, I say he'll be Executive of the Year. No doubt.

I just don't think it will get done...

Josh Smith still wants out of Atlanta. Is there a chance for a sign-and-trade now? Does somebody know is that trade on Otis plans? I think because the clippers, warriors and 76ers are out of the race we have a good chance to get Smith.

Josh Smith is not going anywhere, non one else has the cap room to give him the contract he wants so his leverage is gone.

He will either finally come to terms with Atlanta, sign for the MLE somewhere and the Hawks will match the offer, or play one year at the base year offer and become unrestricted next year.

If we gave ATL

Hedo-6mil

Bogans-3 mil

Cook-3 mil

2 Future Firsts

For him, we could sign him at 12 mil going up every year for 6....

it would be more than worth it..With Smith,Pietrus and Dwight we could have the best defense in the NBA.. plus we could still send our TE over to Memphis with 2 2nd rounders for Critt...

Nelson/Critt/Johnson

Pietrus/JJ/;Lee

Lewis

Smith/Battie

Howard/Gortat/Foyle

Pick up a few campers and last year vets to fill out the roster... That SL is rediculous...

I don't think Smith is an Otis kind of guy, he wont like Josh's demeanor.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Took a gander at season statistics.

Josh Smith (Combo PF/SF)

6-9

235lbs.

3 yrs pro

22yrs old

07-08%

81g/gs

35.5MPG 2,873MIN

45% FG% 518-1,133

25% 3P% 25-99

71% FT% 333-469

2.0 OFF 161

6.2 DEF 506

8.2 REB 667

3.4 APG 272

1.5 SPG 123

2.8 BPG 227

3.0 TO 245

3.3 PF 269

17.2PPG 1,394

Hedo Turkoglu (SF)

6-10

220lbs.

7yrs pro

30yrs old

07-08%

82g/gs

36.9MPG 3,026

45% FG% 556-1,219

40% 3P% 166-415

82% FT% 324-391

1.0 OFF 83

4.7 DEF 388

5.7 REB 471

5.0 APG 409

0.9 SPG 74

0.3 BPG 25

3.0 TO 246

3.0 PF 244

19.5PPG 1,602

They are just about...even.

Josh Smith is clearly the best rebounder, shot blocker, and theif (stealer)

Hedo Turkoglu has the is the better distributer, the better half court shooter and scorer.

Giving up Hedo Turkoglu means that our pg's will have to become full time point guards again. We also will get the strong, young, athletic, power forward we need..plus a low in free throw percentage(If Josh doesn't improve it this summer). But boy..what a shot blocker.....

Why do I say Hedo Turkoglu is better? He's more effecient and he's actually a 19ppg-5rpg-5apg, player. Josh Smith is a 17ppg-8rpg-3.5apg guy.

I think this would basically be a trade straight up. It depends on what happens.

You are basing your analysis on a young up and coming Josh Smith's 3rd season He is barely not a rookie, and Hedo's career best, one that he benefited from Dwight demanding tripple teams, and Rashard spreading the floor, and drawing the next best defender. On the other hand Smith played on an over achieving team of rookies. Trust me there was no one taking that kind of pressure off of Smith on the Hawks.

Josh Smith >>>>>>> Hedo

People over value Hedo way too much here.