Jay Magic

Welcome To The Orlando Magic Victor Oladipo

1372569647[/url]' post='803089']

From what I've gathered so far of Oladipo, he seems like the kind of guy that will stick by the small market baby mama that is Orlando. Other guys at the top of the draft seemingly had LA or Miami written all over them...

I wonder whether Henny felt the same way here...

When did Miami become a large market? They were ranked 16, Orlando 19. Tampa is the biggest market in FL. I even hear it on the radio talking about Miami being a big market. It's a mid market, like Orlando. Phoenix is actually a larger market. Lebron didn't leave Cleveland because he wanted to go to a large market, he left to team up with Wade and Bosh to do what their doing now, win championships.

When did Miami become a large market? They were ranked 16, Orlando 19. Tampa is the biggest market in FL. I even hear it on the radio talking about Miami being a big market. It's a mid market, like Orlando. Phoenix is actually a larger market. Lebron didn't leave Cleveland because he wanted to go to a large market, he left to team up with Wade and Bosh to do what their doing now, win championships.

When did I say it was, Mr Stern? Perhaps you're assuming that I intended to contrast small market teams to big markets?

Actually the reasons I picked LA and Miami were a more specific to Noel and McLemore (beyond the fact that as of recently they have been popular destinations for ring chasers)

http://instagram.com/p/aHjKUDwHF3

Miami is an ideal city for athletes though. A party and nightlife atmosphere with tons of women looking to hook up with rich athletes, and it is right on the beach. Orlando is more of a family atmosphere which won't attract as many athletes in their 20s.

Market size is irrelevant, IMO. It is all about what players can do in that city, mainly the nightlife. Miami is as good as it gets in that regard.

• Upvote 1

Miami is an ideal city for athletes though. A party and nightlife atmosphere with tons of women looking to hook up with rich athletes, and it is right on the beach. Orlando is more of a family atmosphere which won't attract as many athletes in their 20s.

Market size is irrelevant, IMO. It is all about what players can do in that city, mainly the nightlife. Miami is as good as it gets in that regard.

I don't disagree with that point for your average 20-something athlete. Won't be a big factor if Vic leaves though (it would be to win somewhere else if it looks hopeless in Orlando and/or if they don't pay him fairly).

If he needs a nickname it will occur naturally.

Like peaches.

This. Shortening a guy's name and adding a Y at the end just sounds retarded, ie. "Henny".

The 2 new guys were being called Vic and Rome in the press conference. Oladipo's twitter is also VicOladipo so it seems to be genuine. Not a creation of TBN like "Henny" (which I don't mind)

If I remember correctly, I think the nickname they were using for Romero was simply "Ro".

This. Shortening a guy's name and adding a Y at the end just sounds retarded, ie. "Henny".

Wasn't the consensus to just call him "Vic"? That's what his teammates called him last season. Seems easy enough.

Looks like we are going to try Victor at PG per Woj

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 42m

Victor Oladipo wouldn't have easy transition to running an offense, but Magic are wise to experiment with him. Few work harder to learn.

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 57m

Something interesting to watch in summer league: Orlando's Victor Oladipo getting major run at PG - in mold of young Russell Westbrook.

He attacks the rim like Westbrook does and defending other PG's will not be an issue but his ballhandling and TO's will need a great deal of work.

His handle looked better in the workout videos I saw and I guess the only thing that I think will hold him back from being an amazing PG, if he does truly try to become one, is his ability to pass the basketball. However, if he does play point, and shows us he can pass and handle the ball well...then I will be sold, but for now I think he is definitely a 2 guard.

I think playing Oladipo at PG occasionally accomplishes 2 things:

1. Improves his ball handling and passing in the long run so that he can become a much better ball handler at his natural position.

2. Tank without ever actually calling it tanking its just "developing our players" or "experimenting".

For some reason I'm reminded of the Thunder playing KD at SG instead of SF his 1st season (although I think KD was a better SG than Oladipo is currently a PG)

Victor Oladipo, the point guard.

The Magic have been talking about trying that, starting in summer league.

He was the best shooting guard in college last season. The things he's amazing at are, by and large, shooting guard things. Why would you bring him to the NBA -- only to switch his position? Why mess with success in that way? Isn't that crazy?

Allow me to deepen the mystery even further: The Magic are run by Rob Hennigan, who until a year ago worked for the Thunder, an organization that both wrote the rebuild-through-the-draft playbook, and did this exact thing repeatedly.

Do you remember when no one could figure out why then-Sonics coach P.J. Carlesimo wasted all kinds of time experimenting with 6-9 rookie Kevin Durant -- now the world's finest forward not named LeBron James -- out of position at shooting guard? Durant was never great at it. It was a head-scratcher in real time, and it doesn't make a ton more sense now.

But wait! There's more!...

My link

Let's go ahead and stick to the forum rules when posting articles. Little things like limiting yourself to 4 paragraphs, and providing a link to the source material tend to go a long way.

Edited by Captain Hi-Top
Plagiarism...
  • Upvote 1