Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Poll: Offer Chauncey Max Deal?

Curious as to what you guys want to do. Not saying it would secure him, but what do you think of offering Chauncey a max deal right out off the gate? Yes, he is old, but so are Nash and Kidd and they still are tearing it up. Perhaps we could make a trade to free up more space AND resign Darko. Who knows? Just want some feedback.

Curious as to what you guys want to do. Not saying it would secure him, but what do you think of offering Chauncey a max deal right out off the gate? Yes, he is old, but so are Nash and Kidd and they still are tearing it up. Perhaps we could make a trade to free up more space AND resign Darko. Who knows? Just want some feedback.

Tough call, but saying no. We'd be spending too much money on "used goods." We need to get someone younger. Besides, we can't sign Darko to big man numbers, max Dwight, and then max Billups. We aren't New York!

After what I saw from Chauncey tonight...it is extremely hard to say No, but I am going to go ahead and say no. While Chauncey is a great player, he is older and I really don't see offering his a 6-7 year max contract and him still be contributing at this same level. It is tempting as a quick fix, but I would rather make some moves that are going to make this team a formidable one for a number or years to come.

Anybody that says yes to this question doesn't understand that it would destroy the rest of our roster. No Darko, No Hedo, No Arroyo or Dooling. You can't just sign a guy to a 16 million dollar contract without losing other pieces.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Anybody that says yes to this question doesn't understand that it would destroy the rest of our roster. No Darko, No Hedo, No Arroyo or Dooling. You can't just sign a guy to a 16 million dollar contract without losing other pieces.

I agree Smack, as appealing as Chauncey is I would rather keep the pieces and try and get a cheaper player!

I am surprised at the responses. Good stuff. Personally, I am becoming more and more convinced of the need for a good pg ... like the need for a good qb. Meer has such a long way to go. IMHO, finding a good replacement for Meer this summer is the #1 fa priority. A good pg (AND COACH) would really help Dwight, Trevor, JJ, and Darko (assuming he resigns) develop.

All we need at PG is a playmaker who can hold his own defensively. I'm sure we can get that for one hell of a lot cheaper than a max contract. Billups wouldn't be too bad in the short-term, but a max contract would be a stupid idea.

It is hard to predict. When the Suns signed Steve Nash everyone thought they completely overpaid him and now that contract looks like a bargain. Jason Kidd in still one of the top point guards and is 34 years old. I think part of what makes Billups so good though is that the Pistons have been together for so long. He knows where Prince, Hamilton, Sheed, and even Webber will be at all times. Their spacing and ball movement is so good plus Billups has proven to be very clutch. His body structure helps him to as he is built like a tank ala Nelson but is 4 to 5 inches taller. I would think it would be in Billups best interest to stay with the Pistons and keep thriving in his current system. Point Guard is a vital position and cannot be overlooked but I just do not see us getting him especially for the max.

Jameer has a nice crossover and seems to get into the lane with ease. We just need some competent coaching to get him to pass first. I do argue that Jameer is not that young based on 4 years of college and 3 years in the NBA but he has always been counted on to carry the offense and I think as a starter he feels the need to score to win not pass. I think with a VC or Lewis Jameer may not feel the need to take over the game as much.

I also think we should draft a point guard this year whether it is Crittendon or Bobby Brown or someone of that mold and start to develop them immediately next year.