Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Grant undecided about retirement? (Brian Schmidtz Blog)

Over his last 10 games Grant has averaged:

34.9 min, 17 pts, 3.4 reb, 2.1 ast

Of those ten games, Grant scored 20+ in five of them. Is it any coincidence that we lost those 5 games, against the Wolves, Celts, Pistons, & Raptors twice?

Although Grant has been playing good individual ball, he fails to get his teammates involved and relies too much on B Hill's isolation plays and fast break opportunities.

When G Hill has a good game, the TEAM doesn't play well. However, when Hedo has a good game, we almost always win.

Personally, I prefer that G Hill retire. Maybe even 2-3 years ago.

Smack I think you are wrong here. Reasons for this are the other way around then what you are trying to say.

Hill steps up when we are behind, that's why he his numbers are higher then, because other guys give up too soon or just don't know what to do.

But on the other side, when we are winning, we can afford to play it safe and let him sit and keep him fresh for the games when we need experience and more veteran leadership.

He definitely is not the same, but you have to be realistic. With what he went through, you cant expect too much. These are his last games under the contract, so you should start comparing him to other veterans playing for minimum, or just let him be because he might not be playing anymore in couple of weeks anyway.

And about him only contributing when we are behind: I think that is also partially false statement, because he is usually the one who scores the most in the first minutes/quarter in almost every game, and after that he goes to the bench and let our younger guys plays, as he is not needed anymore when we are ahead.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

You must be watching some other team. I always see grant in the second half and we rarely leave young players in when the game is on the line. Go check your facts. Grant averages around 30 minutes a game. Almost the same as Jameer and he shoots a much higher percentage.

I was looking at the last 10 games, when Grant averaged about 30 minutes in our wins and 40~45 in our losses.

And noone was saying that Grant doesnt play when game is on the line, was talking more about the games that we have under control (not too many of them this year unfortunately).

I see no reason to think that Grant is anything but extremely beneficial to our team right now. If Grant hadn't recovered from his sprained knee in time to pick up his game the last few weeks and show our team what it means to really WANT it, we'd be going the way of the Knicks right now.

So Grant Hill and his albatross of a contract has nothing to do with the state of team?

He is our Max contract player!

I am sorry but one good season does not erase six injury filled ones. His contract and inability to play is the main reason we ended in this rebuilding mode again.

quote:
Of those ten games, Grant scored 20+ in five of them. Is it any coincidence that we lost those 5 games, against the Wolves, Celts, Pistons, & Raptors twice?

Its no coincidence whatsoever. Three of those games had to do with their being better teams than us and nothing to do with grant scoring more. the other two are a wash since we routinely play down to competition. theres no point to be made there yet. not one that actually works as a good rational.

quote:
he fails to get his teammates involved and relies too much on B Hill's isolation plays and fast break opportunities.

Thats Jameers job and there is nothing that indicates that Grant is selfish or does not get his team mates involved. nada. Besides how can Grant be blamed for Bhill's plays? That doesn't make sense.

quote:
When G Hill has a good game, the TEAM doesn't play well.

Not true there have been plenty of games where Grant has played well and we've won. You need to put some facts in for that to make any sense

quote:
However, when Hedo has a good game, we almost always win.

Hedo routinely tanks which seldom happens with Grant.

quote:
Personally, I prefer that G Hill retire. Maybe even 2-3 years ago.

Sounds like sour grapes for his injuries. He's playing great now and is a key factor on this team. He can and probably will continue to play and be a mentor for the young players. At a reduced pay scale he should be a bargain and it would be insane to follow a rational that lets him go if even if we can get him on the cheap. Sorry but difference of opinions are allowed here and debate is what the board is about.

Miami, I don't always agree with you but I do on this one.

I like what little bit of leadership that our team gets I think is coming from Grant.

Right now we need him. No question!

Grant has stepped it up big time and we would not even be where we are today without. Without Bhill and jameer we might even been in first place.

Give Grant credit...he is one hell of a man and individual. He could of been sitting home eating Bon Bon's and making millions. And not playing on a foot he almost lost.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

So Grant Hill and his albatross of a contract has nothing to do with the state of team?

He is our Max contract player!

Again since for whatever reason it was deleted. Grant cannot be blamed for accepting a contract offered to him from management. Neither is he responsible for being injured. SO with the team that we have now that management signed he IS one of our better players - not responsible for the state of the team.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Miami, I don't always agree with you

And thats fair enough Ball Junkie but thank you for going on to admit the obvious. I just think it is absolutely ludicrous to be linking losses to Grant actually producing for us. Totally illogical. Makes no sense whatsoever.