Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Mr. Devos pay the luxury tax?

Right now we sit at number 27 out of 30 teams in lowest payroll.

I know we will have a lot of money tied up in our core in the coming years.

Does anybody know the answer? Has anybody seen any quotes in the media on this subject?

Rockchalk, you heard anything?

Mods?

I ask because as a season ticket holder I am not satisfied just being a good team every year. We have some nice pieces on our team headed by 1st team All-NBA player Dwight Howard. But as everyone saw in the playoffs and Otis has now admitted, we need better players. To win a championship we will likely have to go over the cap in salary. I am not a cap expert but I am basing my opinion on the many posts I read on these forums about this subject. We are getting close but we need help.

Anybody know the answer or care to speculate?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Right now we sit at number 27 out of 30 teams in lowest payroll.

I know we will have a lot of money tied up in our core in the coming years.

Does anybody know the answer? Has anybody seen any quotes in the media on this subject?

Rockchalk, you heard anything?

Mods?

I ask because as a season ticket holder I am not satisfied just being a good team every year. We have some nice pieces on our team headed by 1st team All-NBA player Dwight Howard. But as everyone saw in the playoffs and Otis has now admitted, we need better players. To win a championship we will likely have to go over the cap in salary. I am not a cap expert but I am basing my opinion on the many posts I read on these forums about this subject. We are getting close but we need help.

Anybody know the answer or care to speculate?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

what little i know about the ownership and the way they do business is this. they will be very reluctant to pay and they do not know enough about the game to know what it takes to win a championship. they have been poorly advised by the management below them. evaluating talent is a tough business. lewis is a good player but way over payed and not dominating night in night out. they refuse to admit the short comings at pg. i still feel the ariza trade was a mistake even though evans has been a surprise. letting darko go in the lewis mess was also a big mistake. what ever darko is or will be is still undecided but he would have helped our pf/c problem. so to answer your question i feel frist the front office decision making has to be a concern for the ownership. i also feel they are clueless and should learn this business before they throw away anymore money. i base my opinion on very little other than what i see as a big fan of basketball and especially the magic over the last few years. just to many mistakes to ever build a championship.jacklj

i have heard the exact opposite from jacklj.

i believe it was two off seasons ago that devos was quoted as saying that he was willing to go over the cap to bring a winning team to orlando. because of the time that has passed, i dont even know where to begin looking for the article...but i am sure its in the sentinel archives somewhere.

also, the magic have spent FAR more time at the top of the payroll ladder than the bottom. orlando spends more money on their team than other markets considerably larger do on theirs. so this is not a problem, nor has it ever been. the only time orlando has had a low salary was when they were trying to make a FA splash...and then consequently became one of the highest payroll teams. this is NOT the angle to go at when you are questioning our ownership.

As far as championships go I think that we are close (within 3 years). I also believe the Devos family wants to put a great team together going into the new arena so they would be willing to spend. This team will win a championship when Dwight is ready to take us. It realy is that simple. Having the best center in the league usually equals a championship. Experience will continue to improve our chances.

I think recently they have more than proved there ready to spend the money. They payed up the max for Rashard and attempted to lure the top coaching canidate with alot of money. We luckly got a break and didnt have to spend that money and got a better coach, but it shows there willing to spend some money. I have a feeling in the next 3 years we will go over the cap and the year we go over the cap we will win the championship. It truly cost to win a championship.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13.

i believe it was two off seasons ago that devos was quoted as saying that he was willing to go over the cap to bring a winning team to orlando.

Yes it was said they would go over the cap WITH THE RIGHT PLAYER OR CIRCUMSTANCE.

I am telling you that the Magic will not go over the cap until Dwight Howard is deemed a complete player.

Other veterans will not accept minimum contracts until that day either.

well, lets hope that is sooner rather than later...

can you imagine if dwight makes the same amount of improvement between this year and next as he did between this year and last? he would be considered one of the best in the league, not just the best big man...

I sure hope they're still willing to pay the luxury tax, because we're gonna have to if we want to extend Hedo to the money he'll be worth in 2 years.

I read that same article and from what I've seen over the years the money will be spent.

from what I've read the cap will be 58 million and the luxury tax thing will be 76 or 78 million{NOT sure}

All I can say is, they refused to pay Shaq what LA paid and felt LA was stupid for paying him that. Remember, the Magic could have matched. How did that work out for them? If they are not going to "over"pay for Shaq, what makes you think they are going to go into the luxury tax on a couple of role players to improve the team????