Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Tired of teams "TANKING"...

These teams are just selfish. Don't they understand millions of people rely on their top players to deliver for OUR fantasy teams. David Stern needs to put an end to this!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

These teams are just selfish. Don't they understand millions of people rely on their top players to deliver for OUR fantasy teams. David Stern needs to put an end to this!!!

I agree but at the end of the day the NBA is a business and do you honestly think owners or David Stern give a dam about fantasy teams!!!?!

All this tanking is just for a 25% chance of getting the number one pick to. Can you imagine if they just ranked the teams in order of records. The Celtics would have sat Pierce the whole season and maybe would have won 9-15 games.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

All this tanking is just for a 25% chance of getting the number one pick to. Can you imagine if they just ranked the teams in order of records. The Celtics would have sat Pierce the whole season and maybe would have won 9-15 games.

Thats exactly why the lottery was introduced, remember Houston tanked the 84 season, drafted Hakeem and won 2 championships!!

They passed a certain Mr Jordan though!!

I've heard the suggestion proposed that the draft be based completely on a lottery that includes all teams.

Some suggest that every team be given an equal chance, while others suggest a certain degree of weighted opportunity proportional to their regular season record.

This would likley diminish the problem of 'tanking', but put teams at risk at simply being 'unlucky' if they get low draft picks for several years in a row.

Anyone want to share their opinion?

Honestly, I'm not sold on it, yet it might have some merit.

Actually, what would be cool is if they did it AND waited until the draft to select draft position. All teams would then have to be prepared for potentially being anywhere in the draft.

Probably the result of this type of change would be that the draft would be de-valued because of it's uncertainty, and trades and free agency would gain in popularity.

Could probably open this discussion in a separate thread, but since we are talking about 'tanking' here anyway, just thought I'd add it to the discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

I've heard the suggestion proposed that the draft be based completely on a lottery that includes all teams.

Some suggest that every team be given an equal chance, while others suggest a certain degree of weighted opportunity proportional to their regular season record.

This would likley diminish the problem of 'tanking', but put teams at risk at simply being 'unlucky' if they get low draft picks for several years in a row.

Anyone want to share their opinion?

Honestly, I'm not sold on it, yet it might have some merit.

Actually, what would be cool is if they did it AND waited until the draft to select draft position. All teams would then have to be prepared for potentially being anywhere in the draft.

Probably the result of this type of change would be that the draft would be de-valued because of it's uncertainty, and trades and free agency would gain in popularity.

Could probably open this discussion in a separate thread, but since we are talking about 'tanking' here anyway, just thought I'd add it to the discussion.

I just do not know if you can do this because lets say that Dallas wins it all this year and then wins the lottery. Would it be fair for the NBA champ to be able to draft Oden or Durant.

The best proposal I have heard is just take the 3 teams with the worst records and have the lottery for them. That way the are guaranteed to be in the Top 3 but not necessarily number one.

Tanking also depends on the players in my opinion. Once Philly unloaded AI and Webber is was presumed by many including myself that they would be far and away the worst team in the NBA. Well their current players did not roll over and they are sitting at around .500 right now. Conversely the Bucks last night just looked like they could give a crap about the game and clearly put no effort into it after the first few minutes. Same with the Celtics once Pierce got hurt. There were reports that during their huge losing streak the players were joking and going out after each loss. It did not seem to bother them.

I think the current system is here to stay and maybe if anything just increase the odds for the worst team because in most cases the worst team does need the best player.

quote:

I think the current system is here to stay and maybe if anything just increase the odds for the worst team because in most cases the worst team does need the best player.

First of all, let me say that I'm not really disagreeing with you, but simply playing Devil's Advocate.

By the way, why do we say that like it's a good thing....?

Anyway, the argument back would be that teams like the Warriors, the Clippers, the Celtics, the Bucks, and the Grizzlies consistently get lottery picks every year, but seemingly improve very little. So what has benefited them in getting the high draft picks? Good management beats bad management in the long run.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

First of all, let me say that I'm not really disagreeing with you, but simply playing Devil's Advocate.

By the way, why do we say that like it's a good thing....?

Anyway, the argument back would be that teams like the Warriors, the Clippers, the Celtics, the Bucks, and the Grizzlies consistently get lottery picks every year, but seemingly improve very little. So what has benefited them in getting the high draft picks? Good management beats bad management in the long run.

Well then to answer your point. The system is set up as a way to improve your team by the NBA. It is not the NBA's fault that owners hire incompetent executives to run their teams. David Stern did not make the Hawks draft 55 straight small forwards or make the Celtics essentially trade Brandon Roy for Sebastian Telfair. Just because these teams to do not get better does not make the NBA lottery system flawed it makes the people running their NBA teams flawed.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

I agree but at the end of the day the NBA is a business and do you honestly think owners or David Stern give a dam about fantasy teams!!!?!

I know the nature of the business and they care NOTHING about fantasy; that's why my comments weren't serious and I was just being stupid. :-)

If I'm not mistaken, when the Magic drafted 1st pick Chris Webber/Anfernee Hardaway in 1993, Orlando was the lottery team closest to a playoff berth (must have been a 1 in 400 chance or something). They soon became an elite team in the Finals.

Sacramento, Dallas, Washington and Milwaukee (the bottom teams that year) accomplished nothing that could be traced to that draft.

So tanking teams should be careful with their planning.