Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Denton says Magic still might not make playoffs! Need 4 or 5 more wins(blog

quote:
Post subject: MAGIC NOT PLAYOFF BOUND JUST YET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Magic won in a cakewalk Sunday night when Memphis coach Tony Barone inexplicably chose not to double team Dwight Howard. All Howard did was score 31 points and convert nine dunks. Sure, the Grizz only had nine healthy players, but there's ABSOLUTELY no excuse not to send double teams at Howard, the NBA's leader in turnovers.

Of course, they won't be nearly this easy the rest of the way. The Magic now hit the road for three straight games in Milwaukee, Detroit and Philadelphia. They have lost nine of the last 12 away from Central Florida.

If Magic fans have learned anything, it's that this team can't be trusted. And just because the Magic are a game ahead of Indiana doesn't mean they are a lock to get into the playoffs.

Indiana has a relatively easy stretch of games the rest of the way and I could easily see the Pacers going 5-1. Because the Magic can't finish tied with the Pacers and still make the playoffs -- they would lose the second tiebreaker -- they might have to win five of six games.

Monday's game against the (tanking) Milwaukee Bucks is an absolute must-win for the Magic. The likelihood of them winning in Detroit on Wednesday is remote, so that makes the Saturday-Sunday back-to-back against Philadelphia must wins as well.

Then, comes closing games against Washington and Miami. The Wizards were gutted by injuries to Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler and they might have to hold on for dear life to stay at the No. 6 seed. And who knows how serious the Heat will take the season finale considering that they should have the Southeast Division locked up by then.

At a bare minimum, the Magic will need four victories over the final six to make the playoffs. And it just might take five wins. That it's come to this has to be disappointing for the Magic.

--- John Denton, FLA TODAY

John Denton is a FLORIDA TODAY sports reporter and the Orlando Magic beat writer

He called the Bucks game Monday night a "must" win!

Let's Go Magic!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=27532&si...00e625d03cc3595f13f3

quote:
Post subject: MAGIC NOT PLAYOFF BOUND JUST YET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Magic won in a cakewalk Sunday night when Memphis coach Tony Barone inexplicably chose not to double team Dwight Howard. All Howard did was score 31 points and convert nine dunks. Sure, the Grizz only had nine healthy players, but there's ABSOLUTELY no excuse not to send double teams at Howard, the NBA's leader in turnovers.

Of course, they won't be nearly this easy the rest of the way. The Magic now hit the road for three straight games in Milwaukee, Detroit and Philadelphia. They have lost nine of the last 12 away from Central Florida.

If Magic fans have learned anything, it's that this team can't be trusted. And just because the Magic are a game ahead of Indiana doesn't mean they are a lock to get into the playoffs.

Indiana has a relatively easy stretch of games the rest of the way and I could easily see the Pacers going 5-1. Because the Magic can't finish tied with the Pacers and still make the playoffs -- they would lose the second tiebreaker -- they might have to win five of six games.

Monday's game against the (tanking) Milwaukee Bucks is an absolute must-win for the Magic. The likelihood of them winning in Detroit on Wednesday is remote, so that makes the Saturday-Sunday back-to-back against Philadelphia must wins as well.

Then, comes closing games against Washington and Miami. The Wizards were gutted by injuries to Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler and they might have to hold on for dear life to stay at the No. 6 seed. And who knows how serious the Heat will take the season finale considering that they should have the Southeast Division locked up by then.

At a bare minimum, the Magic will need four victories over the final six to make the playoffs. And it just might take five wins. That it's come to this has to be disappointing for the Magic.

--- John Denton, FLA TODAY

John Denton is a FLORIDA TODAY sports reporter and the Orlando Magic beat writer

He called the Bucks game Monday night a "must" win!

Let's Go Magic!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=27532&si...00e625d03cc3595f13f3

Every game at this point is "must win." We can't end in a tie with Indiana or we're out. Probably won't beat NJ.

The good news is that Miami will almost certianly give us that last game. They are only 1 game behind Toronto for the 3rd seed. Toronto has a killer schedule left -- twice they play the Pistons. Miami has a cake walk left. If that game doesn't matter, rest assured that Riley will rest Shaq and company for the playoffs.

In final analysis, of the remaining 6 games all crucial. We can't afford to lose even one of them! Indiana has got to go into another slump!

quote:
The good news is that Miami will almost certianly give us that last game.

Thats not a given. I think theres a good possibility Wade will play a bit and we are notorious for losing to teams we should beat. If Indiana doesn't slump again we are out. We just haven't shown we can put together that many wins.

I've soured on the whole idea of the playoffs if we have to face detroit . Getting swept or winning one game isn't like really being in it (although I guess I will take it on the basis of denying Detroit a lottery pick.)

Anyway I am still hoping that the tendency to get up for good teams just might make the series a little competitive.

I may be in the minority here but i think a first round series against the Pistons is as good as it gets. We all know that this Magic team is very young and besides a few players, totally inexperienced as far as post season play. The Piston series would be on a national scale as far as exposure goes. I think that climbing a mountain that high is valuable as far as getting these players some experience for the future. And i also think we can take them to 6 games. I think the combination of the Pistons taking us lightly and us playing with nothing to lose can help us. I also think that lingering health issues, (Billups,Hamilton,and Webber) gives us teeth in making this series competitive. My two cents

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
The good news is that Miami will almost certianly give us that last game.

Thats not a given. I think theres a good possibility Wade will play a bit and we are notorious for losing to teams we should beat. If Indiana doesn't slump again we are out. We just haven't shown we can put together that many wins.

I've soured on the whole idea of the playoffs if we have to face detroit . Getting swept or winning one game isn't like really being in it (although I guess I will take it on the basis of denying Detroit a lottery pick.)

Anyway I am still hoping that the tendency to get up for good teams just might make the series a little competitive.

I agree that playing Detroit in the first round could get embarrasing. We could get killed. With that said, going to the playoffs is crucial. If we don't, regardless of how good the team plays next year, the team will hear how they lack playoff experience and may end up getting swept next year.

Even with a lopsided loss, the team will get a taste of the playoffs and be better for it.

Plus, at the end of the day, you never know. You get in and take your (admitedly slim) chances.

As for the pick, being the 8th seed or missisng the playoffs is a matter of getting the 14th or 13th pick, not that big of a deal for Detroit. Real lottery luck would keep the pick from going to them anyway so I think they're planning for a mid-first round pick from us.

quote:
Originally posted by bknbronco:

I may be in the minority here but i think a first round series against the Pistons is as good as it gets. We all know that this Magic team is very young and besides a few players, totally inexperienced as far as post season play. The Piston series would be on a national scale as far as exposure goes. I think that climbing a mountain that high is valuable as far as getting these players some experience for the future. And i also think we can take them to 6 games. I think the combination of the Pistons taking us lightly and us playing with nothing to lose can help us. I also think that lingering health issues, (Billups,Hamilton,and Webber) gives us teeth in making this series competitive. My two cents

Your not in the minority. I totally agree with you here.

I'm still holding out hope we can somehow get to the 6th seed. I think the Wiz are getting ready to slump for obvious reasons. The Nets have some tough games left, although if Vince continues to play like he did last night the Nets will get in and might make some noise.

Back to the Magic, we "must" string together some wins! Somehow, someway. We gotta get on a little streak to finish the season.

Oh, and agree with some other guys, I'd wouldn't mind seeing the Pistons either. They are on the backside of their championship run. Their best days our behind them. You know they're gonna take us lightly. Why wouldn't they?

There's no reason we can't start the dismantling of the Piston regime this year! Especially in light of the fact how much their fans like to belittle the Magic and this organization. Nothing would make me happier than to scare the "crap" out of them in a playoff series.

I remember when years ago when the Sonics were an 8 seed playing a number 1 seed(can't remember who) and they won! It was the first time an 8 seed beat a 1 seed. Just brought it up to prove it can be done.

You also have to take into account that the Pacers must also then win 4 to 5 more games. It all depends on how they do. Although, they're remaining games do include match ups against:

@ PHI

@ MIL

@ MIA

vs NJN (you can't lose with this one)

@ ATL

vs WAS

Sadly, they may win 4 of those games.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by bknbronco:

Your not in the minority. I totally agree with you here.

I'm still holding out hope we can somehow get to the 6th seed. I think the Wiz are getting ready to slump for obvious reasons. The Nets have some tough games left, although if Vince continues to play like he did last night the Nets will get in and might make some noise.

Back to the Magic, we "must" string together some wins! Somehow, someway. We gotta get on a little streak to finish the season.

Oh, and agree with some other guys, I'd wouldn't mind seeing the Pistons either. They are on the backside of their championship run. Their best days our behind them. You know they're gonna take us lightly. Why wouldn't they?

There's no reason we can't start the dismantling of the Piston regime this year! Especially in light of the fact how much their fans like to belittle the Magic and this organization. Nothing would make me happier than to scare the "crap" out of them in a playoff series.

I remember when years ago when the Sonics were an 8 seed playing a number 1 seed(can't remember who) and they won! It was the first time an 8 seed beat a 1 seed. Just brought it up to prove it can be done.

I think you have it mixed up Junkie, that was when the #1 seed Sonics lost to Dikembe and the #8 seed Nuggets. I saw that series, and what a series it was!

I personally don't care who we face, as long as we get in. Being a fan, I think we have the capability to beat any team in the East when we run and play smart (reduce TO's!).

After last years early exit for the Pistons I seriously doubt they will take anyone lightly this year. That team has a serious chip on their shoulder and they play their best ball when they are pi**ed like that. If we get them in the first round they will take us apart.

I still think in the long run it a experience that our young players will need to face. Going against a proven championship team will only help. That being said, if we draw the Pistons I'll will be ecstatic if the Magic manage to steal a couple of games.

We're only 1 game ahead of Indiana right now. We're 1 game behind New Jersey. Considering the fact that both of those teams hold the tiebreaker over us, we still have a long way to go. We absolutely cannot lose any of the easy games. Denton is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

After last years early exit for the Pistons I seriously doubt they will take anyone lightly this year. That team has a serious chip on their shoulder and they play their best ball when they are pi**ed like that. If we get them in the first round they will take us apart.

I still think in the long run it a experience that our young players will need to face. Going against a proven championship team will only help. That being said, if we draw the Pistons I'll will be ecstatic if the Magic manage to steal a couple of games.

Did the Pistons have an early exit from the playoffs last year? Who beat them?