Sign in to follow this  
the Judge

do these boards reflect the ethno-centric nature of humans?

Judge you are becoming one of my favorite posters in a short time. I understand what you are doing but people that have been here a while have had to deal with this kind of bickering for a very long time. Take this quote in this thread that was completely peaceful:

quote:
Hey Judge, you just wasted my time with this runaround crap. The real reason driving Arroyo haters is their incurred racism, and nothing else. This should not surprise or offend anyone. For God

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Let Me See:

Jameer Nelson: Capable Shooter, Passer, defender...

Passer? Defender?

I want to know what you are smoking, but I want some of it, please!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I can't really speak for what happened when he was backing up Chauncey. I still think the PG controversy, is an after thought when it comes to arguements.

"And why blame a population, and Arroyo himself who has been classy all along, for a few angry posters?"

You are absolutely right, the vocal minority ruins it for the majority. Here is an example, say I am having a discussion about PG's. Then 5 fanatics jump in and Arroyo me to death, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The next time I am having a PG discussion, you post your honest opinion about Carlos but, I still have that bad taste in my mouth. So I take it out on you. That is what happens here. It's not that you didn't have a valid point or that you were not honestly trying to contribute to the board, it's just that by the time you have talked to me, I am sick and tired of "hearing that song" already.

It doesn't make any of this right, it's just an explanation for what is happening.

Gee Marc. As a mod you could have used this thread to wave an Olive branch to both sides. Maybe use the road that tries to understand both sides not just fume at one side. Shucks you could even have jumped to agree that blaming a population was wrong and offered no excuse or rationale for it.

Instead you went an entirely different route. Not a thing in that post will do anything but fuel Anti-Arroyo fantatics and all that from their fearless Mod practically inciting more of the same behaviour. You may not have come right out and said they are right but you certainly just laid out their cause with nary a word about the other side

The vocal minority didn't ruin anything. That IS an excuse. IF someone choose to blame a whole group for the actions of a minority it IS based on some latent prejudice.

Frankly it seems like the only thing that isn't happily allowed on these boards are Arroyo posts and from time to time posts on the same subject. I'm as sick of these Anti-arroyo posts and justifications for it as I am about Arroyo "fanatics" Jameer is not the answer at the point and claiming it has nothing to do with that controversy is just putting your head in the sand.

We have a ton of JJ supporters who through the season have posted on JJ and his minutes. Care to justify under ANY circumstance why anyone should talk about trading JJ because of Duke fans? Thats patently a ridiculous logic and coming in defense of that mindset does in fact make people wonder even more if the fact that Arroyo is Puerto Rican doesn't play a part (and no I am not even close to being Puerto Rican)

in it. The more I hear on this from Anti Arroyo apologists the the less convinced I am that Some form of racism or prejudice doesn't play its part.

Emory- thanks for the comments. I like that we're on the same page.

MagicMan- It's ok to let Marc show what he thinks, even if it is not what sounds prettiest. The idea of this thread is to understand others' views and backgrounds. He explains his thoughts respectufully, and that's why I try to continue my dialogue with him.

quote:
MagicMan- It's ok to let Marc show what he thinks, even if it is not what sounds prettiest. The idea of this thread is to understand others' views and backgrounds. He explains his thoughts respectufully, and that's why I try to continue my dialogue with him.

Get where you are coming from and its a good place but when people see rationales for things from a mod it doesn't do one thing to deter the behaviour. So for the psychological study you are doing its great but thats one of the reasons the particular behaviour will never end.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:

Get where you are coming from and its a good place but when people see rationales for things from a mod it doesn't do one thing to deter the behaviour. So for the psychological study you are doing its great but thats one of the reasons the particular behaviour will never end.

The Judge was asking a question in his post, I offered my opinion. I also added-

"It doesn't make any of this right, it's just an explanation for what is happening."

Sorry that this was not enough for you, but then what is? From your ivory tower you are chastising me for posting my opinion, and in the same thread chastising giggi for his opinion.

My posts are my opinion not a license for people to beat each other up on this board. By your reasoning, I should have said that it's wrong to argue about Carlos and left it at that. I prefer to try and help people understand each other in a respectful manner. I'm sure you understand that people from different backgrounds have different ways of looking at things. In my experience the best way for people to get along is to understand where the other is coming from. The Judge was explaining his point of view, I was explaining mine. I don't know for sure but I am guessing that The Judge feels like he and I were having a good discussion.

Since you seem to have such a problem with pretty much every aspect of this board perhaps you would be happier posting about the Magic or some other topic on a forum specifically for perfect people. Does anyone know the webaddress for the Magic forum run by God? Yes, that was sarcasm, and yes that was immature, yet another example you can feel free to point out about how childish I along with the other people on this board are.

When this debate pertains to basketball, I'm all for it. Jameer and Carlos have struggled, so having an intelligent argument is fine.

When the race card starts getting brought up, that's when I shake my head. Carlos getting benched has nothing to do with race. Carlos getting limited minutes has nothing to do with Brian Hill "disrespecting" Carlos. Arroyo is riding the pine because he hasn't been willing to change his game for the good of the team.

He was the back up pg for over half the year. It wasn't working, so Hill went with someone else.

I know your asking yourself, ok, why is Jameer playing so much when he struggles to? This orginization has marketed Jameer and Dwight as the future of this team. Management made the decision that Jameer is the starting pg. He's a player of the year in college, and he was a first round draft pick. Obviously, there's a lot of potential there. If he doesn't pan out, it hurts our team. I'm not syaing that's right, but it's reality.

Carlos seems like a good person, and he's a talented guy. But when some people go off the deep end with attacks and rediculous rhetoric, it gives him a bad rap. Eventually, people get tired of hearing the same nonsense over and over again, and they lash out because they're tired of it. Keep the debate to basketball and I'm cool with it.

I think favoring players is the nature of the beast. When I hear people say, "I don't care about any individual player, I only care about the team," I wonder to myself if they're a Dwight Howard fan, since he's the only untouchable player on that team. Its natural when you're watching a team to develop an affinity for some over others. Because there are only 5 spots open & finite number of minutes available for any given game, there are always going to be some unhappy people thinking their guy deserves more. Deep down I think everyone just wants their favorite player(s) to be treated fairly. I think the Arroyo fans could stomach this give-take minutes scenario better if Nelson wasn't stinking up the show so badly.

I will say straight up that I am a JJ Redick fan first and foremost and only care about the team in as much as how they relate to him. I wanted to be a Magic fan, I really did. But at this point, with this team and this coach, I'd be happier if he was traded to a team that didn't have its head up its ____. He deserves better. That being said, I'm not going to beat a dead horse and come here after every game complaining about JJ's treatment. Because I know that everyone here is here for a different reason, be it the team, a different player, whatever... and they don't want to hear a broken record being played ad nausem about minutes.

The stress is in not knowing how many minutes you're going to get, if any. If Bhill would just be consistent in that regard, I think the JJ, Darko, Carlos, etc. fans would be able to just accept it and move on.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

This argument will never end. Everyone has made up their mind one way or another how they feel about the situation.

I aprreciate your efforts to lay out the problem in an objective and non bias way not taking side

For some people they rather make this something other than a basketball discussion, and try to place the blame somewhere it doesn't belong. Unfortunately, I don't see this feud ending anytime soon. In fact this thread will probably turn into another argument.

It will end when we are winning,I still don't understand why so many people don't want to give Carlos a chance to help the team when they claim to want the Magic to win.

I see what you're saying michelle, but I just don't see it that way. Yes, everyone has their favorite players, but only Arroyo fans take it to an unbearable level. I'm a fan of Diener and Redick, but I don't complain every 3 seconds that they're aren't playing like they should be. Some Arroyo fans want to blame everything except for Carlos himself. Carlos is the only one to blame for his benching. I hope he turns it around, but the race card gets played out to the point of nausia. I'm white myself, but I don't insinuate that JJ and Travis don't play because they're white, or because Brian Hill doesn't like them. I just think Brian Hill is stubborn in his ways, and his decisions are very questionable.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Great thread Judge!

When Carlos first got here we were all very happy about how he played and how he helped us win.

Shortly after just about every thread had some sort of Carlos spin to it. If Jameer missed a basket (this was when he was playing well)there were multiple threads popping up about how Jameer stunk and Carlos should start.

I agree that the disagreement has to do with human nature, but I don't think it is because of ethnocentricity. If someone tells you day after day after day, that something is the best and every where you turned you saw people saying how this thing is the best (my favorite is the repeating of how PR beat team USA and that Carlos was better than US players because of this)you eventually get burnt out. I believe that this is what happened. When Carlos has a good game, no one wants to talk about it because it gets rubbed in their faces. People want him traded just so they don't have to hear about him anymore.

Think about this, if your favorite group has a new song on the radio, and the radio stations play that song a million times don't you eventually get sick of that song?

It's Arroyo-fatigue, the more people defend him, the more people get tired of hearing about him and they lash out, which causes his fans to get defensive and attack back. That is why this will never end.

You hit it on the nail,but let's just all have a big hug and the Magic will bring home the RING.JK