Sign in to follow this  
ma

Do you think Lewis is an effective PF so far?

Ok, then let's not call Rashard a PF , and admit that we play with two #3s, of one continuously plays #1, and the other one rarely plays #4. Howard generally plays both #4 and #5.

Augustine is in that list just because of his size, I haven't seen him play much. Put Cook if you like instead, however Cook is much better coming off the bench.

MA

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

Ok, then let's not call Rashard a PF , and admit that we play with two #3s, of one continuously plays #1, and the other one rarely plays #4. Howard generally plays both #4 and #5.

Augustine is in that list just because of his size, I haven't seen him play much. Put Cook if you like instead, however Cook is much better coming off the bench.

MA

Call it whatever you want... it's just semantics, and basically denoting who he is guarding on defense. Mainly, the other teams PF.

as Stan Van Damme pointed out...

we are undefeated when Rashard gets at least 3 blocks a game!

quote:
How many offensive boards does he have?

65 Total in 57 Games.

quote:
How many non-running, backing up to the guy kind of baskets he has scored?

I cant recall how many but I have seen him do a back-to-the-basket turn aroud jumpers and hook shots.

quote:
How many power forwards in the league consistently go and camp out on the perimeter? Have you seen how statistically bad the Magic is with the mid-range jump shots?

How many teams in the league can afford to camp out in the perimeter? I mean, would you wanna clog the lane so Dwight will get double-teamed more? I do agree that we have poor mid-range shooting but that is because we are trying to give as much space as we can give Dwight to operate. Now, if Dwight is not in the game that is when I see Rashard and Hedo post-up.

Also, we are 14 games over .500. I think Lewis' performance manning the power-forward position speaks for it self. Yes, we need a rebounding, perimeter shooting big man but... how would you know that it is going to make us better? Frankly, I am pleased with our line up. Power-forward position is not the problem. Its the DEFENSIVE INTENSITY during the game.

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

MA

Who's calling him a PF? You are the only one that seems to be confused about this. He is a SF playing out of position.

The problem is that there is no better solution right now. ... including the "solutions" you have come up with.

From my standpoint, is a matter of time when Rashard or Hedo become more reliable at the PF position. Obviously they are not a natural PFs. Basketball is in a transition right know. You are seeing more "small basketball" type of teams using one big guys with 4 guards. Also, the centers doesnt need to be 7 footers, with 6-highs are filling those ambitions. If you have a 7 footer, maybe is because he can run or glide in lanes or know how to play squaring/front attack to the basket instead of using posting game. Like I said, its about of time. For now, for me frankly, the only piece missing is a 6-4 consistent shooter and/or an additional PF with offensive skills to come from the bench and give quality 20 mins.

quote:
Originally posted by Emperador:

From my standpoint, is a matter of time when Rashard or Hedo become more reliable at the PF position. Obviously they are not a natural PFs. Basketball is in a transition right know. You are seeing more "small basketball" type of teams using one big guys with 4 guards. Also, the centers doesnt need to be 7 footers, with 6-highs are filling those ambitions. If you have a 7 footer, maybe is because he can run or glide in lanes or know how to play squaring/front attack to the basket instead of using posting game. Like I said, its about of time. For now, for me frankly, the only piece missing is a 6-4 consistent shooter and/or an additional PF with offensive skills to come from the bench and give quality 20 mins.

Until a team actually wins a title or three playing Euroball, I wouldn't want to build a team around that model.

Adding to that, look teams like: Dallas, Phoenix, Lakers, Washington, Orlando, Memphis, Seattle, Golden State, Toronto and others etc....all in the same direction. Detroit won with Rasheed as PF (quickness), San Antonio won with Duncan as the only 7 footer-consistent player. Is an european style of basketball.

quote:

Adding to that, look teams like: Dallas, Phoenix, Lakers, Washington, Orlando, Memphis, Seattle, Golden State, Toronto and others etc....all in the same direction. Detroit won with Rasheed as PF (quickness), San Antonio won with Duncan as the only 7 footer-consistent player. Is an european style of basketball.

The lakers need to come off your list immediately, because they have a true center in Bynum and a true 4 in Gasol. Second, Duncan isn't the only 7 footer on that team. He's just the best one.

Third, when Detroit won a title, they had Ben Wallace playing center.

Fourth, Seattle, Memphis and Orlando haven't won anything. For that matter, neither have Dallas or Phoenix.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

The lakers need to come off your list immediately, because they have a true center in Bynum and a true 4 in Gasol. Second, Duncan isn't the only 7 footer on that team. He's just the best one.

Third, when Detroit won a title, they had Ben Wallace playing center.

Fourth, Seattle, Memphis and Orlando haven't won anything. For that matter, neither have Dallas or Phoenix.

And I will add that Phoenix realized that their style wasnt working, and aquired Shaquille because small ball doesnt work in the NBA. Especially in the playoffs.

Dear friend Natmayo:

Dont just look only at the big picture, see the details. Read what I wrote and analyze it. Lakers will play with Bynum in the middle right, but Gasol can shoot the middle jumper, run the break and no necessary sleep in the low post, back to the basket. Who are their 4s or PF (Radmanovic, Odom, energetic Turiaf) That the type of game that I'm talking about.

Obviously Duncan is not the only 7 footer in San Antonio but how they rotate in playoffs? remember Horry? Does Duncan takes jumper from top of the key? does he finish fast breaks? Pick N Pops shooting banking shots? remembered?...

Phoenix grab Shaq right, but how they are using Amare now? shooting middle jumpers too, trying to fill the lanes the way that Marion used to do it. Liberating him from being the post defender and creating space for him to play in front of the basket and create his own shot. Adding to that, Shaq is there because the heights of the West but he is not the primary weapon for them, is for defensive reasons....presence and for a short period of time. When he is not in the game who play the middle, Amare with Diaw at the PF. Small game.

Detroit won with Ben in the middle, right!! I think he is 6-9 or 6-10 but how Rasheed was playing the PF, remembered all the treys that he constantly shoot my brother? All the short jumpers that he made? McDyess? That is small game, using the PF around the perimeter too, running the lanes on fast breaks, not just using the post as the only offensive weapon.

Memphis and Seattle are rebuilding and for Christ sake dont say that Phoenix system doesnt work because they had been in playoffs, deep in playoffs in recent years. Look at New York, Chicago, Milwaukee, etc that only have PF playing with their back to the basket. I Forgot to mention Boston with Garnett also playing in the perimeter. The only two teams that I favor with two bigs guys down there are Utah (Okur and Boozer) and New Orleans (Chandler and West). And Okur in Utah sometimes takes jumper from the outside.

Like the pesimists people said: There is only one winner and the others are loosers if we only evaluate the winner or efficency when the title is in your hand, we are ignorants. Most of the systems are good. Play for .500, .600 is good in a competitive league like the NBA. Like I said not just be a fan, not just be a newspaper analist, go to the basic-coaching eye.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommaco:

shard is avg like 20ppg at the 4. hell yes hes been a success! I just dont want to see him go up against amari at the 4 that would be devistating!

I personally would love to see him go up against Amare at the 4, because that would mean we were in the Finals.

As for those who think that Turk is hurting or holding back Lewis, this is somewhat accurate, but only in the sense that Lewis isn't averaging 25 points.

But Turk is not a ballhog. He is dictating the flow of the offense because he is being asked to do so. This has nothing to do with not having a PF, it has more to do with not having a consistent, veteran PG.

Trading Turk to accomplish that goal is not the answer. It is just filling one whole by creating another. He is our most versatile offensive player, and hopefully he'll be here a long time.