Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Turk for Artest......would you? (see pg.5)

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

You guys don't think Rashard could fill that role? Denton had a blog yesterday where Rashard said he is ready to start attacking the basket and plans on doing so after the all-star break.

I didn't see last nights game but didn't Rashard really step it up and start taking the ball to the hole?

Why couldn't Rashard play the same role Hedo does right now.

Salary wise, don't they make about the same?

Don't forget, Hedo is having a career year. He hasn't always played at this level.

That is very true about Hedo's playing level. I wonder about that as well but I am going to believe that he has turned over a new leaf.

Rashard could fill the scoring role, but not the distributing role, at least I don't think he can. He really attacked well last night and played a great game but Hedo definatley has the edge in the passing department.

As always Marc...you are dead on it here! The only thing that I would add is that Hedo also has proven to be better with the ball in his hand, so passing and creating is where Hedo seperates himself from Shard! Hedo the point forward is not to be replaced in this current system.

That is a very risky trade. Hedo has been the go to guy especially down the stretch. I think it would solve the PF issue and it would move Lewis back to his natural position allowing him to play better. However, it is tough because you are giving up a valuable player, and a key player to the team. Would Lewis be able to fulfill that go-to-guy down the stretch of the game? I think the trade would do good for Orlando but I'm not sure how it would make them better. In the the playoffs, having a go to guy and good finisher like Hedo is very much crucial to a contending team. You gotta have that guy.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Way to put a damper on my hopes Smack!j/k

Well Smack, do you think Riley gives us Haslem for anybody else?

Absolutely, Riley would trade us Haslem if the deal didn't include Turk. However, the deal would be structured differently. We would need to throw in a first round pick, JJ, Arroyo, and take a big contract off their hands (Blount?) giving them another expiring in Garrity.

We can get Haslem without dangling Hedo, but it might ultmiately be just as costly.

Junkie, you need to call me in the next couple days. We have plenty to discuss.

So Smack, are you saying you would or would not take on Blount's contract to get Haslem?

Hedo should have been picked as an all star this year... if we trade him for anybody they need to come off that squad, period.

Otis worked hard to upgrade the team and save our expirings to get the other pieces we need and IMO he is working behind the scenes to do just that!

Add a big to the way we played last night, and maybe a vet PG to mentor Meer and we are well on our way to the big dance... maybe not this year, but next for sure!

No ... for the many reasons listed in this thread.

If Riley included Wright or a first with Haslem? Sure ... but that isn't happening.

And no to the idea of taking on Blount's soft game and huge contract to get Haslem.

If we could trade JJ, Pat or Los, and a first for Haslem and, if need be, Smush, yes, I would do it. That would clear major space for them, give them young assets, and give us our PF.

No.

Tough, defensive-minded power forwards are rare, but not unheard of. We could go for Wilcox, instead, for example - the Sonics owner doesn't care about that team anyway .

6'10 small forwards that can offensively act like guards? Even more rare.

Trade JJ for Haslem, I'd probably regret it later, but I wouldn't regret it now. Trade Hedo for Haslem, we'd likely regret it both now and later.

Hedo has become a rare talent. As 30Assists states above, Hedo is about as rare as they come, not including players like Kobe, LeBron, etc.

He's having a career year but nothing about his play indicates that he'll regress.

Hedo has quite a bit more value. I am certain that Hedo could garner a lot more in trade than Haslem - Hedo is a piece that could be used to grab a guy like Michael Redd, who is a bit overpaid on a team that's looking to rebuild.

Unless we decide we need a star-quality PF, we can likely land a player of Haslem's ilk - a role-playing PF - w/o giving up Hedo. Right?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

The only way you trade Turk for Haslem is if it nets us something additionally.

Turk for Haslem & a first round pick?

Sure.

Turk for Haslem & Wright?

Sure.

Turk, Garrity & Arroyo for Haslem & Blount?

Sure.

But Turk for Haslem straight up?

No way!

We can get a PF to fill the hole in our roster without giving up Hedo. So if we are going to target Haslem to fill that hole by givig up Hedo, then I would expect we get much more from Miami in the trade.

QFT

I would add Turk for Ricky Davis and Haslem to that list as well.

I know Davis has a bad rap but I think playing for SVG could turn his career around. And the man's always been able to score.

OK, I know I might incur the wrath of the board by posting this but my answer is YES. Yes, I would trade Hedo for Haslem. I'm not saying that we need to trade Hedo neither do I say that we need to trade for Haslem. But the original question was if I would do this trade if it came up and my answer to that question is yes.

Basically Hedo is offense and Haslem is defense. We're struggling with the defense and I think Haslem could help out here in a major way. This team has many players that can score so we should be able to make up for the loss of Hedo.

Of course, we will lose Hedo's assists and his "clutchness" but y'all have to keep in mind that Rashard and Jameer are playing well below expectations. I know that the trade will not (necessary) change this. I'm just saying that we have enough room for improvement in order to compensate the loss of Hedo and Haslem will contribute to that.

Y'all point out the things that we lose if we trade Hedo but you also have to consider what Haslem brings to the table. He brings defense, rebounds and attitude - something that this team is lacking. Hedo brings things that are partially redundant.

BTW, remember that this discussion board would be pretty boring if we'd all agree - so be nice to me ;-)

If we traded Hedo for Haslem we'd have to either make Bogans the back up for Rashard or start him again since JJ Redick will never play. Bogans has been terrible for awhile now and the last thing i'd want to see is more minutes for him.

I'll correct what I said: if the Heat threw in a first-round pick and another player, I'd consider it.

The Heat are so bad this year that even an amazing recovery would probably still mean they'd be a lottery team - good for us.

Of course, I'd rather keep Hedo and 'Shard. How many teams have two 6'10 SG/SFs on their team? None. Except ours. Which rocks.