Sign in to follow this  
brownmagic

UPDATE: Josh Powell salary-cap friendly quality backup C/PF (see first and last post)

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

We dont need any more "hopefully he can be good" kind of players. We need someone who has proven, night in and night out, that they can help our team.

Agree

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:

We dont need any more "hopefully he can be good" kind of players. We need someone who has proven, night in and night out, that they can help our team.

Agree

Everybody starts from the bottom and which good player do you think we can get without getting rid of Turk or getting rid of a considerable portion of our team which obviously Otis doesn't want to do.

You got to see what is feasible given our management and roster. Besides we need a solid defensive PF. If you think Haslem is a good bet why don't you get his clone in Powell.

Besides there is no HOPEFULLY involved here..when given the minutes on 10 occasions Powell has PERFORMED.

I'd say this is a better idea than the Haslem trade ideas for one reason: the Clips aren't run by Riley. Riley will screw us over. Period.

quote:
Originally posted by brownmagic:

Check this out:

Udonis Haslem

2007-08 Statistics

PPG 12.1

RPG 9.3

APG 1.5

SPG 0.7

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.475

FT% 0.787

3P% 0.000

MPG 37.2

Question: which player in the NBA is taller, heavier, 3 years younger and looks like he can put up Udonis type stats if given minutes?

What if these are his current stats?

PPG 3.8

RPG 3.7

APG 0.7

SPG 0.2

BPG 0.3

FG% 0.434

FT% 0.818

3P% 0.000

MPG 13.6

What if he was given Udonis type minutes (37.2 MPG)?

PPG = 10.4

RPG = 10.1

APG = 1.9

SPG = 0.6

BPG = 0.8

Looks promising, but can he perform given minutes? How has he performed when given significant minutes (20+) this season?

Stats from the TEN games he has played 20+ minutes:

MPG= 25.8

PPG= 7.6

RPG= 6.0 ---->>> ORPG = 2.1 DRPG = 3.9

APG= 1.1

SPG= 0.4

BPG= 0.9

The clincher: his contract is worth $800,000 and the fact that he has played with a dominant big man who is having a breakout season i.e. Chris Kaman and still managed to rack up significant RPG. Hence, it seems like he can co-exist with Dwight. Another bonus, we don't need to get rid of Turk and this won't kill our cap.

Finally his name: Josh Powell

Why would the Clippers do it?

Powell was essentially signed to help out with the loss of Elton Brand. When Elton gets back Powell will be warming the bench more often than the court hence he is expendable.

I rest my case. What do you guys think? Feel free to poke holes or come up with better trade ideas to shore up our PF spot which SVG said needs some help.

The biggest problem with Powel over Haslem is that SVG will not have the same confidence in Powel as he would in Haslem, thus he would sit the bench. Versus Haslem would move right in to the starting 5. THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree

Everybody starts from the bottom and which good player do you think we can get without getting rid of Turk or getting rid of a considerable portion of our team which obviously Otis doesn't want to do.

You got to see what is feasible given our management and roster. Besides we need a solid defensive PF. If you think Haslem is a good bet why don't you get his clone in Powell.

Besides there is no HOPEFULLY involved here..when given the minutes on 10 occasions Powell has PERFORMED.

I think the solution here is to get over the notion that two sf in the lineup will work, and be willing to trade the one with the good contract.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree

I think the solution here is to get over the notion that two sf in the lineup will work, and be willing to trade the one with the good contract.

That has to be the dumbest thing to really say. Hedo is way too versatile and he can play the SG position probably better than anyone we currently have. Every game he guards one of the toughest players and usually does a good job. He frustrated the heck out of Paul Pierce in both games against the Celtics. And at the SG position you are not going to get a lock down defender that can stop the Kobe's and Lebron's. What you want is a defender that they do not see much of like Hedo and his 6'10 frame. Then you just want Hedo to negate what they do on the offensive end by putting up similar number if he can. Really make them work on both ends of the floor.

The problem with someone who is a defensive type stopper is that is means little offense more than likely which allows the top player on the other team not to have to concentrate on defense like he would if having to guard Hedo. Defense wears you down more than trying to get your shot on offense. That is the best reasoning for moving Hedo to the SG position and bringing in a guy like Haslem that can hit the open 12-15 foot jumper and play defense and rebound.

quote:
Originally posted by Faux Hawk:

quote:

Check this out:

Udonis Haslem

2007-08 Statistics

PPG 12.1

RPG 9.3

APG 1.5

SPG 0.7

BPG 0.4

FG% 0.475

FT% 0.787

3P% 0.000

MPG 37.2

Question: which player in the NBA is taller, heavier, 3 years younger and looks like he can put up Udonis type stats if given minutes?

What if these are his current stats?

PPG 3.8

RPG 3.7

APG 0.7

SPG 0.2

BPG 0.3

FG% 0.434

FT% 0.818

3P% 0.000

MPG 13.6

What if he was given Udonis type minutes (37.2 MPG)?

PPG = 10.4

RPG = 10.1

APG = 1.9

SPG = 0.6

BPG = 0.8

Looks promising, but can he perform given minutes? How has he performed when given significant minutes (20+) this season?

Stats from the TEN games he has played 20+ minutes:

MPG= 25.8

PPG= 7.6

RPG= 6.0 ---->>> ORPG = 2.1 DRPG = 3.9

APG= 1.1

SPG= 0.4

BPG= 0.9

The clincher: his contract is worth $800,000 and the fact that he has played with a dominant big man who is having a breakout season i.e. Chris Kaman and still managed to rack up significant RPG. Hence, it seems like he can co-exist with Dwight. Another bonus, we don't need to get rid of Turk and this won't kill our cap.

Finally his name: Josh Powell

Why would the Clippers do it?

Powell was essentially signed to help out with the loss of Elton Brand. When Elton gets back Powell will be warming the bench more often than the court hence he is expendable.

I rest my case. What do you guys think? Feel free to poke holes or come up with better trade ideas to shore up our PF spot which SVG said needs some help.

The biggest problem with Powel over Haslem is that SVG will not have the same confidence in Powel as he would in Haslem, thus he would sit the bench. Versus Haslem would move right in to the starting 5. THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I think he would a lot more confidence in Powell than in Brian Cook. Besides we don't really need him to start, we need him to fit into a rotation including turk and rashard. I agree he won't be a starter immediately, but look at the case of Arroyo and Evans - in limited minutes they performed and now they are our starters albeit their position is tentative.

What I see is we need a rebounding big why not try Powell - we can get rid of him at the end of the year along with our extra contracts. If Auggie, Garrity and Cook can get time -- Powell can definitely do something especially since SVG explicitly said we need help at the PF area.

quote:
Originally posted by Faux Hawk:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree

That has to be the dumbest thing to really say. Hedo is way too versatile and he can play the SG position probably better than anyone we currently have. Every game he guards one of the toughest players and usually does a good job. He frustrated the heck out of Paul Pierce in both games against the Celtics. And at the SG position you are not going to get a lock down defender that can stop the Kobe's and Lebron's. What you want is a defender that they do not see much of like Hedo and his 6'10 frame. Then you just want Hedo to negate what they do on the offensive end by putting up similar number if he can. Really make them work on both ends of the floor.

The problem with someone who is a defensive type stopper is that is means little offense more than likely which allows the top player on the other team not to have to concentrate on defense like he would if having to guard Hedo. Defense wears you down more than trying to get your shot on offense. That is the best reasoning for moving Hedo to the SG position and bringing in a guy like Haslem that can hit the open 12-15 foot jumper and play defense and rebound.

Paul Pierce scored at will in both Boston games. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There's a reason that any small forward who's decent goes off on us. Rudy Gay, Josh Howard, Paul Pierce, etc... Hedo is a sub-par defender at the 3. He'd get destroyed at the 2. To suggest his length would do anything, except maybe get him in foul trouble, when guarding players who are noticeably quicker than he is, is laughable.

And at what point did I suggest trading him for someone who does nothing on offense? I just said we should be willing to accept that filling both forward positions with a small forward doesn't work, and we really need a true PF.

Putting words in my mouth, misinterpreting your own opinion that you've put in my mouth, and then attacking that. The board's reached a new low.

Faux I agree we shouldn't move turk...we definitely need him.

As for your concern about Powell being a defensive type stopper who can't shoot - that isn't true. Powell can shoot and does have a sweet and consistent mid range jumper.

http://goldenstateofmind.com/story/2007/8/10/21624/5626

This was a report from Golden State fans last year who saw him in action. He has definitely blossomed since then as seen in his 20 MPG+ stats!

I like Turk. I think hes played extremely well in this system and his play is responsible for alot of wins this year.

That being said, we have a three that would give us what Turk is giving us, Rashard Lewis, and hes languishing at the 4 position.

Im with DOM that if we had the chance to get a true defensive stopper at the 4 and move Lewis to the three, Id do it in a second and if Turks high value enabled us to get a top flight defensive player at the 4 position, id be all for it.

quote:

Faux I agree we shouldn't move turk...we definitely need him.

As for your concern about Powell being a defensive type stopper who can't shoot - that isn't true. Powell can shoot and does have a sweet and consistent mid range jumper.

http://goldenstateofmind.com/story/2007/8/10/21624/5626

This was a report from Golden State fans last year who saw him in action. He has definitely blossomed since then as seen in his 20 MPG+ stats!

You are missing my entire point. As in the case of Carlos versus Keyon, SVG will pick Keyon every time over Carlos if pushed to make a choice. If we want a player that will start at PF Haslem is probably the only guy. No matter what kind of player we bring in, if Stan is not comfortable with that player in his system he will not play them. It is the reason Bogans has gone to the SVG doghouse and JJ has never left. It is the same reason Stan has already said Gortat will not sniff one minute this season. It is the same reason when we are up by 15 or more with 2 minutes left our starters are still on the floor. It is the way Stan operates.

Stan plays his starting 5 and then has a very very short rotation. The only time a guy like Foyle only gets in to spell Dwight otherwise he would probably never play. Bogans never gets PT unless we are in foul trouble or it will be for a 5 minute stretch. Jameer went to the Dog house because he was not playing like Stan wanted. If you are going to bring someone in midseason and want production out of them you better bring in a guy Stan wants. Otherwise he will sit until Stan is comfortable with him.

Just look how long it took for Brian Cook to find a role in the system. Cook is the instant offense for Stan off the bench when he takes out Lewis or Hedo. If Cook is not hitting his shot he immediately sits and back in goes whoever he came in for. Same would got for anyone brought in on a trade. Haslem is probably the one exception since Stan coached him in their first run in the playoffs. But I have a feeling even Haslem would be sitting a bit until Stan felt he could integrate him without causing a problem.