Sign in to follow this  
Adam_Magic

Grant Hill

We all agree that Grant should not be starting at the 2 and most people agree that he should come off the bench or at the very least play his rightful position as a SF.

Anyway, his contract is up in the off-season and my question to you is what do we do about it?

I am a huge Hill fan but a month or so ago I was ready to finally move on and let him walk, however, recently, he has been awesome. He has taken over games and although his body isnt what it used to be he is about the only player driving to the basket and nailing his FTs.

Also the leadership he brings, especially to a young team is a difference maker.

A quote from our very own Coach Hill

"He leads by example with his effort in the game, with his effort at practice, and by the way he handles himself on and off the court. He's simply the consummate professional, a great mentor for these younger players."

As much as I dont respect Coaches opinion I dont think anyone can ignore that!! On top of that I have read articles from Detroit, Boston and Atlanta beat writers saying how valuable of an addition he could be.

I think Otis is going to have a very busy summer and one of the first things he should do IMO is try to sign Grant to the vets minimum.

I honestly think he will be very coveted in the offseason as he still has the talent and he knows that nobody will pay big $$$, and quite rightly given his history.

Overall I think he to importnat just to write off because I think it will come back to haunt us if we let him go to a rival!

We all agree that Grant should not be starting at the 2 and most people agree that he should come off the bench or at the very least play his rightful position as a SF.

Anyway, his contract is up in the off-season and my question to you is what do we do about it?

I am a huge Hill fan but a month or so ago I was ready to finally move on and let him walk, however, recently, he has been awesome. He has taken over games and although his body isnt what it used to be he is about the only player driving to the basket and nailing his FTs.

Also the leadership he brings, especially to a young team is a difference maker.

"He leads by example with his effort in the game, with his effort at practice, and by the way he handles himself on and off the court. He's simply the consummate professional, a great mentor for these younger players."

As much as I dont respect Coaches opinion I dont think anyone can ignore that!! On top of that I have read articles from Detroit, Boston and Atlanta beat writers saying how valuable of an addition he could be.

I think Otis is going to have a very busy summer and one of the first things he should do IMO is try to sign Grant to the vets minimum.

I honestly think he will be very coveted in the offseason as he still has the talent and he knows that nobody will pay big $$$, and quite rightly given his history.

Overall I think he to importnat just to write off because I think it will come back to haunt us if we let him go to a rival!

If we are going to salvage anything out of this season Grant is going to have to lead us.

Who else is capable of leading?

In the Pacers game Friday he came to the rescue. When Indy closed the lead to 3 points and our offense started bogging down like Magic fans have seen all year long Grant continued to attack the basket and was getting to the foul line. Then he was making his foul shots and finished with I think 23 points.

We need leadership on the court! Everybody knows he is capable of being a great leader when he's on the court. It wouldn't bother me one bit to see him start chewing on some players butt verbally either.

Come on Grant! We need you!!

How about a nice finish in the last 9 games of this disaster of a 6-year contract that we inked you too.

Oh my gosh! I can't believe he's actually playing at the end of a season? That's a miracle in itself.

I will fall on my sword and say some days I think Grant needs to retire and others he shows the leadership they desparately need. You just never know what you're going to get with him.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

I will fall on my sword and say some days I think Grant needs to retire and others he shows the leadership they desparately need. You just never know what you're going to get with him.

Is either Grant leadership or JJ's potential talent.

Honestly, i think we need more JJ's offensive contribution. Grant can be a leader from the bench.

We need to unleash the horse and let JJ do his thing. same with Ariza and Arroyo.

Those 3 guys we need to see more often playing together.

quote:

This is a good reason to let him go. Coach thinks he is better than he is and he eats up playing time that we could be giving to younger players. Grant Hill is the definition of inconsistency and I think that has a negative impact on these young players. If he is such a good role model, than make him an assistant coach and then maybe his ankle could make it through a month.

I picked sign him to the veteran's minimum, but this gets into a bigger issue that is likely going to bog down Otis during the offseason.

Otis needs to sit down with Brian Hill and ask him: "Assuming everyone's back on the team next season, what's your rotation look like? Who starts, who's backing them up, who's never playing?"

Then, Otis needs to decide if he thinks said rotations will help the team win, and if not, start forcing rotation changes through trades.

I'm all for signing Grant for the minimum, but only as a backup 3 behind Trevor. He shouldn't be playing the 2 at all, and he shouldn't be starting. Yes, he'll have games where he scores 18-25, but he's already playing bench player minutes, so it wouldn't hurt the rotations as much. Obviously, that's only part of the rotations issue though. If we resign Darko, he has to start over Tony. JJ should be playing 20-25 a game next season. Trevor should be starting. And what about all that CAP money?

Otis may have a very busy offseason.

I'd keep Grant for the minimum or at least 1-2 million. Anything more than that is overpaying him with the uncertainty of him suiting up. Sure, 1-2 million is a risk on him, but wouldn't it be better if he keeps contributing for and we get the most out of him? After all, he brings more than his game to this team. He's a professional.

And to have someone like Grant on the team, wouldn't that invite more players to come here and play for us? Some of these young players, grew up idolizing Grant, and to play with him would put them on another level.

Grant said he is not interested in being a coach. Let's see how this season will end for Magic and for him and then we can start speculating what will happen.

And the reason why he is so motivated right now is definitely that this could be his last season and a chance to get to the playoffs once again after 6 years.

If I would be Otis, I would probably do something along these lines:

We resign and put him on SF with Ariza. Hedo will most probably be traded in this case, probably in a package with Arroyo and/or Bogans. We also get a cheap SF 2nd backup, in case Grant gets injured so we have someone coming of the bench for Ariza. This could very well be Bogans as a combo SG/SF, but I think we'll get someone else. And finally JJ becomes first backup SG, behind a FA that we get in the summer.

Edit:

And about his price. Grant stopped playing for money long time ago, so I dont see him demanding any kind of a large sum. If he will decide to keep playing for a year or 2, he will probably take whatever will Otis offer, that begin vet minimum or a mil or 2.

Making him our coach would be worse than having B. Hill our coach. He can't lead as a player, he can't lead as a coach. Sorry, he comes back at the vet min. or he walks -- plain and simple.