Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

Open letter to Otis Smith ...

Otis,

the overall thesis of this letter is:

In the NBA, nothing is a certainty.

It may seem prudent to let Boston have their chance, as they do have three 30-somethings that have a closing window for a championship. It may also seem prudent to let Detroit have their last horaah before they fade into mediocrity. However, this is ill-advised.

It is impossible to be certain on what the future brings. How long can you be an 'on the rise' team in the NBA? After all, thats just a nice term for 'pretenders'. There is no telling who could be strong next year, the hawks could be the team to beat in two years, so could the bobcats, bucks, CAVS...anyone could be(except the knicks). So, my point is, why pass up on an opportunity to add a vital piece to a championship caliber team? Look at LA, they just picked up a big piece, and they were further from contention than us. This whole issue likely boils down to the jameer nelson extension. It was a poor decision Otis. We know this, no one is being fooled. Is doing nothing the best way to move on from this mistake? There are two FANTASTIC points on the market right now, both are attainable. Both would translate to extra wins, easy. Talk to philly about andre. They like jameer(trust me), give them expirings(they desire them), and give them a first rounder(drafting isnt our strong suit anyhow). Heck, give them '08 and '10 first rounders. We dont need them. They do.

Secondly, find a way to get Haslem. Battie is not the answer. He is a career backup. We need a starter. Haslem would fit nicely. Give miami what they want-expirings and draft picks. Its obvious that they desire to trim payroll. Its a win-win scenario.

Resting on your laurels again(2007 trade deadline inactivity was a big mistake)will likely cause more than heartache like it did this last time around. This organizations' livelihood(the fans) are becoming disenchanted with our GM. Other organizations know what it takes, and you should follow suit before you are collecting unemployment checks. I am sorry if that sounds abrasive, but its the truth. Forgive me if you are working the phones as we speak...although your recent comments arent encouraging. Take care...

murph

Otis,

the overall thesis of this letter is:

In the NBA, nothing is a certainty.

It may seem prudent to let Boston have their chance, as they do have three 30-somethings that have a closing window for a championship. It may also seem prudent to let Detroit have their last horaah before they fade into mediocrity. However, this is ill-advised.

It is impossible to be certain on what the future brings. How long can you be an 'on the rise' team in the NBA? After all, thats just a nice term for 'pretenders'. There is no telling who could be strong next year, the hawks could be the team to beat in two years, so could the bobcats, bucks, CAVS...anyone could be(except the knicks). So, my point is, why pass up on an opportunity to add a vital piece to a championship caliber team? Look at LA, they just picked up a big piece, and they were further from contention than us. This whole issue likely boils down to the jameer nelson extension. It was a poor decision Otis. We know this, no one is being fooled. Is doing nothing the best way to move on from this mistake? There are two FANTASTIC points on the market right now, both are attainable. Both would translate to extra wins, easy. Talk to philly about andre. They like jameer(trust me), give them expirings(they desire them), and give them a first rounder(drafting isnt our strong suit anyhow). Heck, give them '08 and '10 first rounders. We dont need them. They do.

Secondly, find a way to get Haslem. Battie is not the answer. He is a career backup. We need a starter. Haslem would fit nicely. Give miami what they want-expirings and draft picks. Its obvious that they desire to trim payroll. Its a win-win scenario.

Resting on your laurels again(2007 trade deadline inactivity was a big mistake)will likely cause more than heartache like it did this last time around. This organizations' livelihood(the fans) are becoming disenchanted with our GM. Other organizations know what it takes, and you should follow suit before you are collecting unemployment checks. I am sorry if that sounds abrasive, but its the truth. Forgive me if you are working the phones as we speak...although your recent comments arent encouraging. Take care...

murph

Otis has the job that just about any GM would want. Buidling around Dwight Howard. I need him to act like he understands what he has in that kid.

just to add this is by no means bashing otis i think he has done a good job. over paying for nelson is the only mistake i see. if we would have signed darko we would have three over payed players. as for lewis i dont know the details but from what i read we had to over pay to get him and he has helped us. my message for otis the that every leader makes mistakes the great ones are proactive in always improving thier situation. you might be on the phones but of you arent just remember its ok to bluff in poker but you have to have the other guys on the table first

We wouldn't be able to get Haslem w/o giving up Turk. And I don't want to trade Jameer Nelson, who is only going to get better, for a pg in Andre Miller who is only getting older and worse.

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

We wouldn't be able to get Haslem w/o giving up Turk. And I don't want to trade Jameer Nelson, who is only going to get better, for a pg in Andre Miller who is only getting older and worse.

i kindly disagree with all three things you just mentioned. miami isnt looking for more contracts(turk), they have said they are looking to trim payroll, not add to it. also, jameer is playing out of position, and is a liability. he is the worst defender on the team anyway. what you said about andre miller is just plain incorrect.

I hate the Lakers but I"m proud of them. They finally built that Championship team all without trading Kobe Bryant unbelievably. I guess they figured he was untradeable if thats a real word.

quote:

After watching tonight's game, I'd take Andre Miller over Jameer Nelson any day. Heck, I'd give Nelson and an expiring for Miller. We'd win the east then!

quote:
Originally posted by fishybashi:

quote:

After watching tonight's game, I'd take Andre Miller over Jameer Nelson any day. Heck, I'd give Nelson and an expiring for Miller. We'd win the east then!

word...

throw in a first rounder and they would bite!

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:

quote:

word...

throw in a first rounder and they would bite!

Genius! Let's base our ideas off of one game! I am sure the Spurs organization was looking at throwing the kitchen sink to get Jameer after what happened last season...

quote:

quote:

So you would like Andre Miller to take 18shots to get 23pts and 11assist to go with 6 TOs. If Miller was on our team yesterday and had them stats with us we wouldve lost. 18 shots for a pg is ridiculous and 6 turnovers isnt good enough for us. Most of all 18 shots from Miller would take shots away from our big 3 Turk Lewis Howard.