Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Anyone who has ever coached a team sport on any level, "click here".

Actually anybody can click.(lol)

Okay, I have coached off and on for many years. Here's my take as related to what Otis was saying yesterday when he was "pleading" for the Magic players to show more leadership.

In my experience on the many teams I have dealt with I have "always" found that when the best player on my team was also the leader of the team those years coaching were "extremely" successful and easier. By far!

Now, I am a pretty assertive coach. I am definitely not afraid to lead. But honestly, in the years when I had to do "all" the leading those teams seemed to always fall short of expectations.

My feeling is exactly what Otis was saying yesterday. It makes a "huge" difference when one of your peers whom you respect is getting on your butt for not meeting responsibilities to your team on top of what the coach might be saying.

Agree or disagree?

Could this be more of a reason why the Magic have struggled this year? Nobody in uniform to get on somebody's butt? Also, the team will be looking for leaders this summer. You guys know I love Vince. Is he a guy that could lead this team?

I'm ready to debate.(lol)

Actually anybody can click.(lol)

Okay, I have coached off and on for many years. Here's my take as related to what Otis was saying yesterday when he was "pleading" for the Magic players to show more leadership.

In my experience on the many teams I have dealt with I have "always" found that when the best player on my team was also the leader of the team those years coaching were "extremely" successful and easier. By far!

Now, I am a pretty assertive coach. I am definitely not afraid to lead. But honestly, in the years when I had to do "all" the leading those teams seemed to always fall short of expectations.

My feeling is exactly what Otis was saying yesterday. It makes a "huge" difference when one of your peers whom you respect is getting on your butt for not meeting responsibilities to your team on top of what the coach might be saying.

Agree or disagree?

Could this be more of a reason why the Magic have struggled this year? Nobody in uniform to get on somebody's butt? Also, the team will be looking for leaders this summer. You guys know I love Vince. Is he a guy that could lead this team?

I'm ready to debate.(lol)

My coaching experience is limited to rec. and youth leagues, but whether your playing or coaching the team. Leadership is key component in getting everyone on the same page.

I agree that life is easier when your best player is also the leader. But experience and maturity is a big component in leading. Look at T-Mac, he is a much better leader now than he ever was here. I think Vince could be the same, since he obviously personnaly motivated to come home and win here. Everytime I watch the Nets, I see a whole team now playing off Vince that used to play off Kidd.

Asking a 21 year old kid, no matter how talented is just too much to ask at this point. Which is why we need a more experienced All-Star (not former like Grant) to lead this team until Dwight IS ready to take over those duties.

Whole-heartedly agree. You can teach and show and lead only so much. Eventually, you have to chuck your players out there and hope they've learned what you've taught them and trust what you tell them.

Also, you have to hope they remember that they are only one part of a team, and it takes the team to win.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

My coaching experience is limited to rec. and youth leagues, but whether your playing or coaching the team. Leadership is key component in getting everyone on the same page.

I agree that life is easier when your best player is also the leader. But experience and maturity is a big component in leading. Look at T-Mac, he is a much better leader now than he ever was here. I think Vince could be the same, since he obviously personnaly motivated to come home and win here. Everytime I watch the Nets, I see a whole team now playing off Vince that used to play off Kidd.

Asking a 21 year old kid, no matter how talented is just too much to ask at this point. Which is why we need a more experienced All-Star (not former like Grant) to lead this team until Dwight IS ready to take over those duties.

So as for this year would you agree that everything that has gone wrong with this team is not completely Brian Hill's fault?

Also, can you put a percent on it? How much percent is player fault and how much is coaching at fault.

Player leadership can make the difference between a great, good or mediocre season.

Nothing would make me happier than for your statements about Vince to come true.

As a former player (Basketball and Volleyball) and a former Volleyball coach, I agree with you Junkie!

I remember being a player in team sports that when our "star" player was involved in getting all of us involved and kept us on the edge, that's when we performed the best. We always had the coach to rely on for assistance, mental guidance with the rigours of the game, but it was our star player who gave us that extra kick.

When I was a Junior and Senior in H.S. I was the captain of my V.B. team and my Senior year I was the leader of such team. It was my duty to keep the guys pumped up, ready to go, and I would definitely be up in their faces if they didn't perform at a team level. We expected much from everyone on the team, especially me, having that wished-for responsability on my shoulders. Same thing went on in college sports when I went through undergrad.

Now, as a former volleyball coach, I must say, I used to scrimmage against the guys as well, so I was always involved in getting in their faces just as if I was still a part of the team. I guess it's my competitive nature that always seemed to kick in when I was coaching the younger guys. But it all seemed to rub off on our "leader" or "star" those years, so I wasn't too heavily burdened or occupied trying to motivate them on a game-by-game basis; our leader got that done, and we won 1 championship and the following year we made it to the finals again but finished as sub-champions.

My point is, FOR SURE!!! Take a look at the natural leaders from the past who have made it all the way, from the likes of Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russel, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Isaiah Thomas, Dr. J., Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, to name a few...do you think those specific teams would have made it all the way if they relied on their coaches exclusively to get the guys motivated? As great as some of those coaches are or were, do you think Red Auerbach, Pat Riley, Chuck Daly, Phil Jackson, inter alia, would have won those championships without the leadership and in-your-face-expect-the-best of your teammates attitude from their "stars"?

I think not! I truly feel their individual leadership roles had much to do with their success, and most of all when such stars were in the stage of unselfishness, it was no longer about them, but about the team.

We do have such a star on our team IMO, his name is GRANT HILL. I feel he could and should be that guy, he just needs to get his hands a little more dirty and start grabbing people by their jerseys and tell them how things are. His nice days as a player are long gone, just as his better days of his prime, but he can still be that FORCE to reckon with regarding the leadership role one of our guys should and must take.

It's not about the coach in this team, and shouldn't be untill we see drastic changes come about in the coaching staff both at basketball I.Q. level and Basketball Logic as well. For now it should be about a team sticking together, striving for the best result it can reach, and in doing so, having that one "star" player willing to give his all to lead our young guys into victory!

Much Love!!!

I was a recreational baseball coach and a recreational football coach in the Navy and do know the importance of the best player setting an example for others. I also know that poor coaching will cause you to lose your better players. They will quit on you do to a lack of respect.

In my opinion Dwight Howard is the best player and the logical leader. I don't think we would be talking about this if we had a decent offensive scheme that doesn't hog tie Howard and defeat the strengths of many of the players on this team.

Brian Hill lost the team and Leader, Penny, in his first tenure. Do we have to have a revolt again before we make a change?

Grant Hill should be the leader of this team. He has the experience and the credibility to be the guy. I don't understand why he isn't stepping up to the plate. His game has clearly faded so if he isn't providing the leadership why should the team resign him this summer? Eventually Dwight needs to step up and take the reigns maybe sooner is better than later.

Bhnole your avator is hilarious.

I am not a coach and have never coached anything no less a sports team. LOL

I must say that we can't expect Grant Hill to be that kind of leader because if you ask him and his former coaches Doc Rivers and Doug Collins he is a quiet leader who leads by example not being vocal. That isn't a bad team but when we have a young team that is trying to win we have a bunch of vets that are leaders by example not by being vocal weather privately or in the media. Believe You Me when players are vocal in the media everyone notices it. The main thing even more than getting a VC or Rashard Lewis Gerald Wallace etc... this summer is too get someone who is VOCAL AND IN YOUR FACE now if VC or any of those guys are like that then great if not then get someone who is even if he is a bench guy who is on the second team but has a Rep of being able to back up what he says vocally.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

I was a recreational baseball coach and a recreational football coach in the Navy and do know the importance of the best player setting an example for others. I also know that poor coaching will cause you to lose your better players. They will quit on you do to a lack of respect.

In my opinion Dwight Howard is the best player and the logical leader. I don't think we would be talking about this if we had a decent offensive scheme that doesn't hog tie Howard and defeat the strengths of many of the players on this team.

Brian Hill lost the team and Leader, Penny, in his first tenure. Do we have to have a revolt again before we make a change?

I'm not saying Brian is without fault. I honestly think he is trying to change his ways from his first stint here. The press let the whole world know why he got fired so it's not a secret. I see him as being a little more player friendly this go around than the last.

Also, if I wanted to I could surf the net and quote just about every player on this team that has from one time to another given him support as their coach in the media.

I really don't think he has pissed them off as you say. Our downfall this year has been letting the weak teams of the league beat us.

Maybe having a stronger player leadership would have prevented us from having those letdown games that we are so prone to have.

Idealy Grant Hill should be the leader, but how can he tell others to play hard every night and with consistency?

Who would believe him when he misses so much time, can't finish games, and has as many off nights as on. You look at the up and down performance of this team this season and is it not similiar to the up and down performance or our "veteran star leader"?

The fact is the mind is willing with him but the body is not!

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Idealy Grant Hill should be the leader, but how can he tell others to play hard every night and with consistency?

Who would believe him when he misses so much time, can't finish games, and has as many off nights as on. You look at the up and down performance of this team this season and is it not similiar to the up and down performance or our "veteran star leader"?

The fact is even if the mind is willing with him but the body is not!

So leadership is part of the issue with this team. Agree?

I'm gonna try to pin him down one more time.(lol) What percent of our problems are caused by player issues and what percent are coaching issues?

Can you put a number on it?(lol)