Sign in to follow this  
StufFtheMagicDragon

Rashard Struggling? Thank our coach for that

I like Rashard Lewis and wanted to show why he's struggling so bad here in Orlando. Struggling playing out of position as the starting Power Forward in Van Gundy's system, nothing new.

Very unrealistic of our coach to expect this guy to play defense and at the same time be the dependable scorer we payed $118 mil for. Why?

1- Rashard can't even contain guys his size from scoring down low. It's never been his game.

2- Rashard wants to stay away from the basket and shoot which is what he does best, he's not effective banging or posting up.

Lewis is a pretty good player, just unfortunately misused by our coach who doesn't understand Lewis becomes a liablity at PF isntead of the offensive weapon he is.

Nobody talks about this and Lewis will not complain with the $ he's making but coach is wasting a fine player's talent.

Go Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-StufFTheMagicDragon

I like Rashard Lewis and wanted to show why he's struggling so bad here in Orlando. Struggling playing out of position as the starting Power Forward in Van Gundy's system, nothing new.

Very unrealistic of our coach to expect this guy to play defense and at the same time be the dependable scorer we payed $118 mil for. Why?

1- Rashard can't even contain guys his size from scoring down low. It's never been his game.

2- Rashard wants to stay away from the basket and shoot which is what he does best, he's not effective banging or posting up.

Lewis is a pretty good player, just unfortunately misused by our coach who doesn't understand Lewis becomes a liablity at PF isntead of the offensive weapon he is.

Nobody talks about this and Lewis will not complain with the $ he's making but coach is wasting a fine player's talent.

Go Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-StufFTheMagicDragon

I agree. I've been saying this in my circle. Yeah, we paid the guy a lot of money - but its not like we paid a youngster who's still developing. We paid a vet who's had a game for 9 years. We can 'want' his game to change, but to expect it isn't very realistic at all.

Shard is a good player - when he's allowed to play to his advantages. And until he's allowed to, I don't think we'll ever see the Rashard we paid for.

For the contract he signed, he should be the guy who wants to guard the other teams best player, whether he's a post or a wing.

When you pay a guy league max he should have the intensity to want the ball every possession, he should have that killer instince.

Rashard, however just wants to fit in. Well if you don't want to lead, don't try and get paid like a leader.

Honestly, don't you think management had conversations with Rashard about intensity, leading, and playing like he's getting paid.

I don't see Rashard complaining to Van Gundy about the way he is used, speak up.

Stan is not stupid. he realize that Lewis is nto a PF.

He put hedo and Shard in the floor because he want to spread the floor for Dwight and Howard develop very well.

The other reason is because Tony is injured for all the season. Foyle can

I don't think this can be put on Van Gundy. He is playing the cards he was dealt. I think this goes back to Otis.

He signed a player that plays the same position as Turkoglu and Ariza, when he was here.

If Rashard was playing his natural position then Turkoglu would be playing out of position either at SG or PF. Consequently, I think his numbers would be down drastically and we would all be complaining about how he is mis-used.

Turkoglu and Rashard are too good to sit, especially considering our bench, so one of them will always be playing out of position. Apparently Van Gundy thinks Rashard is the more versatile of the two and therefore has the suffer through it.

When you know your holes are at SG and PF and you go out and sign duplicate talent what can you really expect? I agree that it isn't entirely Rashard's fault but don't pin all the blame on Van Gundy.

This is a flawed roster. Van Gundy is doing his best to make up for that fact.

quote:
Originally posted by Courtskils:

For the contract he signed, he should be the guy who wants to guard the other teams best player, whether he's a post or a wing.

When you pay a guy league max he should have the intensity to want the ball every possession, he should have that killer instince.

Rashard, however just wants to fit in. Well if you don't want to lead, don't try and get paid like a leader.

Honestly, don't you think management had conversations with Rashard about intensity, leading, and playing like he's getting paid.

I don't see Rashard complaining to Van Gundy about the way he is used, speak up.

That's pretty shortsighted.

Courtskills should see Lewis isn't at fault for Otis having thrown a bunch of money at him and expect him to become Keven Garnett. Rashard never in his 9 year career has had to play this way. Is like asking a guy like Dirk Nowitzki to play center just because he's 7 feet and to expect good defense against the good centers of this league. Sorry you can't understand this.

I also agree 100% with the opening post

quote:
Originally posted by Matiasjj

Stan is not stupid. he realize that Lewis is nto a PF.

He put hedo and Shard in the floor because he want to spread the floor for Dwight and Howard develop very well.

The other reason is because Tony is injured for all the season. Foyle can

quote:
Originally posted by Orlando Mellow:

If Stan isn't stupid his substitutions are looking worse than Brian Hill's right now. Last night's were terrible except for Mo at SG which helped because he isn't so undersized there. It took him a month to discover that.

I see your point. I can't count the number of times that Lil Mellow has posted "We need to be starting Mo Evans".

To echo another poster, this is not SVGs fault, just his problem. And he is doing the best he can with what he has.

And Hedo can not "easily play SG". In fact, when have you ever seen Hedo play SG? The guy is 6'11 and can not guard a fast SG. Be real about it, Hedo is a SF who can swing down to PF for a little bit and that's what he does.

I think this is our real problem. We have too many 1 sided players on this team. Either they can play offense but lack defense or the other way around. We dont have that many players that play good on both ends. If Lewis was dominating on both ends then this wouldnt be a problem but sense hes not dominating then we really look weak at the pf position. Turk and Lewis will work out better if there not in the same starting lineup. Let Lewis start at the 3 and let him REMAIN there. I rather Turk play the 4 than Lewis. We get us a big to start at the 4 and have Turk come off the bench. But Lewis needs to play like Turk is playing. Turk isnt just settling for the 3pt shot, hes driving to the basket or taking mid range jumpers or draw fouls. None of what Lewis is doing.

For what it is worth, Rashard Lewis has been one of the best, if not the best, post-up SF in the league the last few years. ESPN was pumping this aspect of his game up before the year started. But as everyone keeps saying, he is playing out of position. Thus, we rarely can take advantage of this strength at his natural position.

From what ive seen from Lewis in seattle i know that Lewis can produce more offense then what hes showing. Im not really worried about that cause i know that a position change can do that to you. But my biggest problem is Lewis defending the post.

He wasnt good at that in Seattle and hes still not good at it. Hes decent guarding wing players on the perimeter. Decent not stellar but he needs to be at his natural position and SVG has to give him total control and stop turning Lewis into just a spotup shooter. SFs in the league couldnt really guard him last season and thats the way we should be using him now. Im sorry Turk, but when we signed Lewis, we should have demoted your position immediately to a backup role.

I mean Turk can still get 30+mins mostly playing the 4 but he still will be playing. We should be using our forward positions(48mins SF + 48mins Pf= 96 Total mins) in a 3man rotation. It should be Shard at the 3 for all of his minutes, Turk plays backup mins at the 3 and 4, and a Real PF (Battie next season but Auggie Cook or Gortat for now) to start with Howard and play a good number of minutes as well. Evans or Bogans shouldnt be playing SF, let them stay at the 2. This means we play in a 9 man rotation.

Nelson

Evans

Lewis

Auggie

Howard

with

Arroyo

Bogans

Turk

Foyle

off the bench. Its simple.

Right there the bench is averaging about 38ppg. Thats not bad.

SVG is using his players wrong and have trouble substituting the right players at the right time. Just stay with a 9 man rotation where everybody gets a good amount of minutes to contribute. If were gonna make some trades, lets trade for a good PF that can defend and rebound and possibly a sg that can defend and score. But right now we can be ok IF Stan finally figures out how to use this team.

But Lewis and Turk SHOULDNT start together. Let Turk be the BOOST off the bench.