Sign in to follow this  
nbr

I know I shouldn't.........

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out what Brian Hill is thinking. Last night was the worst offensive performance I've seen from the team all season. They made careless turnovers and the offense was so stagnant and predictable that I could barely watch it. It was all isolation plays and dumping the ball into the post. I am all for Dwight getting touches but when they are NO shooters on the floor and Dwight isn't making his free throws then it has no chance of working. Brian Hill actually played a lineup of Arroyo, Hill, Ariza, Battie, and Howard. Even Matt Guokas was saying that there was no way Howard could be successful in the post with that lineup. The Celtics are one of the worst defensive teams in the league and we made them look dominant.

I don't even want to get into why JJ couldn't get any playing time in the second half. What kind of message does that send? If you don't get in the game and immediatly produce you aren't going to play in the second half. Meanwhile Jameer is allowed to struggle the entire season and blow off the coach's decisions without any reprecussions.

By the way, am I the only one that doesn't see an advantage in isolating Grant on Paul Pierce? I thought the point of an isolation was to isolate a great player on a lesser player.

I agree Emory. Again, why do you play a guy who is always hurt ( He is a great player) another guy who had turkaflu in the morning and missed practice along with no shooters and play them all over 40 minutes???? I think every Magic fan knew they would run out of steam and they did. That why they scored 15 points against us in the second OT. No Ariza to guard Pierce... Its almost like we play to lose.

I don't think I have ever seen a season where the Magic announcers spent so much time trying to figure our coaches crazy rotations.

It's not like JJ had a bad first half either, he drew some fouls to get to the line. Played decent defense and had almost as many assists as our starting PG. Why not put him in the game?

No he did not have a bad game..big deal he walked a couple of times but at least he was trying to make something happen. And his shots were close especially the second one..another one of his half down spin outs. I would like to see how much he would score taking 15 to 20 shots a game. He certainly had fresh legs for the 2nd half and the overtimes.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

My big questin then was why didn't Brian sit Jameer's butt down in the overtime then? Carlos played a whale of a second half, Jameer wants to pull that BS, then find him a nice seat next to Bogans.

I have never been more baffled about a Coach's management of team before.

Not sure why you're baffled by it now because Hill has been doling out playing time the same incoherent way all season. Player performance doesn't seem to influence him, it's all about playing his chosen group, based on who-knows-what criteria?

I love his recent "Kangaroo" rotation pattern, where he plays Reddick one game, then he sits him the next, then repeat. He's doing the same thing with Arroyo. How can anyone get any continuity or sense of the game when they're playing every other game?

I predicted about 10 days ago, after it was clear that Diener was done for the season, that his absence would cost us more games this season. I stand by that prediction. Our offense last night was vile.

So much for the new and improved Brian Hill...

Last night we had a lineup of Arroyo, G HIll, Ariza, Battie & Howard on the floor for 4 minutes in the first half.

Then our coach followed up that offensive juggernaut of a lineup with, Arroyo, Dooling, G Hill, Ariza and Dwight for 5-6 minutes in the fourth quarter.

It's no wonder that we couldn't score. And it's also no wonder that Dwight was getting triple teamed. Who's going to hit the open jump shot if he passes it out of the post?

Just when you start to think our coach has realized a few things, he plays Ariza 15 minutes and Redick 10 minutes. He playes Arroyo 9 minutes of the 4th quarter and brings Jameer back in with 3 minutes remaining in the game. I'm fine with Arroyo getting playing time, but you can't have players checking back into the game cold with 3 minutes left to play, no matter who it is.

The comes overtime...

We didn't make a single lineup adjustment in tow overtimes even though our guys were clearly winded and sucking air.

P.S.

There's obviously something wrong with our offense if Tony Battie is leading the team in FG attempts.

FT's, TO's, etc all had an impact on the outcome. Yes, this should have been a double digit victory by the Magic had they executed. But despite the problems we were still in a position to win this one if our coach had any clue whatsoever.

We just lost to the freaking Celtics. I'm ashamed to be a Magic fan.

I agree Smack, I find it amazing how Hill played the two oldest men, for the entire two overtimes.

You would think he would play JJ, and Ariza to open the second overtime, and if he had done that we would have defiently take that game.

Also why in all his brilliance did he have Battie on Jefferson, if Dwight really thta much of an inept defender?

Here's a better question...

Why did he make a defensive substitution in overtime that brought Dooling into the game to play next to Jameer, instead of bringing in Ariza?

Well why was Grant guarding Pierce?

Why the hell has JJ shafted, he misses two shots an he dont get to play no more?

Also, why if arroyo got us baq into the game was Meer put abq in?

It is the same Brian just with some different pieces.

i have been saying it. Brian Hill is an idiot. He needs to go. My 5 year old can coach this team better! We have lost at least 15 games this season because of B.H. His rotations are wack, his feel (or lack of) of the game is none existence. This is not a bad team, this team should be at least 10 games over 500. If you bring a real coach (not a teacher) we will contend in the east. Again the brainless B.H. has to go!!! We are going to start trading people away that will succed with other organization. This is a disgrace!!! Fire Napoleon!

quote:
I love his recent "Kangaroo" rotation pattern, where he plays Reddick one game, then he sits him the next, then repeat. He's doing the same thing with Arroyo. How can anyone get any continuity or sense of the game when they're playing every other game?

I of all people should know what your talking about, or should I?

Anyway this thread and I'll say it again has nothing to do with last night. This was about moving forward. We're calling for guys to come in here and make a difference, well out of all moves it is the farewell of Coach Hill that must be made. This is the move of the off season to allow this team to go forward. ****, if he was removed and we did nothing else, I'd be more than happy.

Just curious NBR. You used to have a picture of Jameer Nelson with your screen name.

What did you think of his antics against the Celtics when he obviously disregarded all instructions from his coaches and ran the play he wanted to run instead of what was being asked of him. Ultimately leading to a failed play when we could have won the game?