Sign in to follow this  
MagicPrimoz

The official Stan Van Gundy needs to be fired this season.

I just feel like SVG needs to put in Augie or Gortat at the 4 and give them about 25-30mins to work with to see if they can defend different pfs in the league. They cant be any worst then what Lewis is doing. Just give them a chance.

Just like Redick, give him a chance. Evans, Dooling, Bogans defense isnt all that either though there labeled as defensive type players but there letting people get career highs on them. Can Redick do any worst. Maybe, be we ll never know. SVG if you want to make changes start with chaning some players out of the rotation for others that never make it off the bench.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Bad thread. Had somebody told me we would be 22-13 at this point in this season last summer, I would have been elated. SVG has helped Dwight become the best big in the league and made Hedo a border-line all-star. If anything, we have personnel problems.

Sorry Soul Bro. I don't entirely agree.

The reason? That is exactly what most guys were saying last year.

Although the overall W-L record tells a portion of the story, it certainly doesn't tell the whole story or how it will end.

I am a big fan of SVG. He has done a remarkable job with this team considering he was handed such an awfully unbalanced roster to begin with. Not sure if that was Otis' decision, or his, or possibly an agreed upon decision among them both though.

Lately I wonder though - what in the heck is going through SVG's head? He has made two starting lineup adjustments in one week. And in 2 out of the last 3 contests Jameer has outplayed Arroyo. I still think Arroyo should be the starter, but how in the world can any starter in our backcourt feel confident about their contributions to this team when their spot in the rotation and their minutes fluctuate more reularly than the tide? Last night, Jameer 32 minutes, Arroyo 15 minutes. That's just wrong (even if Jameer was the leading scorer). IMO, coaches who go with their gut feeling to often, get too caught up in going with the hot hand. This can be a very destructive, divisive strategy, since it can easily result in players never fully understanding their role within the team dynamic.

Backcourt aside, how can Augie look so good in spot minutes with his hustle and determination one night, and then the next night not get off the bench (except to hand Dwight a towel and some Gatorade)?

This has developed into a theme now for the entire season. JJ's in the rotation. Then JJ's at the end of the bench. Dooling's our biggest contributor off the bench. Then Dooling's at the end of the bench. Then he's in the friggin starting lineup. Augie's in the rotation. Then Augie's at the end of the bench. Cook's in the rotation. Then Cook's at the end of the bench. Bogans is our starting SG. Then Bogans comes off th bench to play just 13 minutes at 3rd string. Jameer is our starter. Then Jameer is inactive. Then Jameer comes off the bench to get twice as many minutes as Arroyo.

I for one, am not surprised this team has lost it's identity and is floundering. IMO, it can all be attributed to the helter skelter rotations that SVG is employing on a game by game basis. It's downright wacky!

At some point SVG needs to stabilize this team, and I believe he can do that by stabilizing his rotation.

I agree with the need to stabilize the rotation. However, I believe we are "showcasing" certain players, specifically Carlos and Keyon, for possible trades.

quote:

quote:

Bad thread. Had somebody told me we would be 22-13 at this point in this season last summer, I would have been elated. SVG has helped Dwight become the best big in the league and made Hedo a border-line all-star. If anything, we have personnel problems.

Although the overall W-L record tells a portion of the story, it certainly doesn't tell the whole story or how it will end.

I am a big fan of SVG. He has done a remarkable job with this team considering he was handed such an awfully unbalanced roster to begin with. Not sure if that was Otis' decision, or his, or possibly an agreed upon decision among them both though.

Lately I wonder though - what in the heck is going through SVG's head? He has made two starting lineup adjustments in one week. And in 2 out of the last 3 contests Jameer has outplayed Arroyo. I still think Arroyo should be the starter, but how in the world can any starter in our backcourt feel confident about their contributions to this team when their spot in the rotation and their minutes fluctuate more reularly than the tide? Last night, Jameer 32 minutes, Arroyo 15 minutes. That's just wrong (even if Jameer was the leading scorer). IMO, coaches who go with their gut feeling to often, get too caught up in going with the hot hand. This can be a very destructive, divisive strategy, since it can easily result in players never fully understanding their role within the team dynamic.

Backcourt aside, how can Augie look so good in spot minutes with his hustle and determination one night, and then the next night not get off the bench (except to hand Dwight a towel and some Gatorade)?

This has developed into a theme now for the entire season. JJ's in the rotation. Then JJ's at the end of the bench. Dooling's our biggest contributor off the bench. Then Dooling's at the end of the bench. Then he's in the friggin starting lineup. Augie's in the rotation. Then Augie's at the end of the bench. Cook's in the rotation. Then Cook's at the end of the bench. Bogans is our starting SG. Then Bogans comes off th bench to play just 13 minutes at 3rd string. Jameer is our starter. Then Jameer is inactive. Then Jameer comes off the bench to get twice as many minutes as Arroyo.

I for one, am not surprised this team has lost it's identity and is floundering. IMO, it can all be attributed to the helter skelter rotations that SVG is employing on a game by game basis. It's downright wacky!

At some point SVG needs to stabilize this team, and I believe he can do that by stabilizing his rotation.

I sense the schizophrenic tone of his coaching decisions seems to be afecting their roles and confidence specially Jameer and now I feel Howard.

I am a backer of Stan and changes but only if he lets them ride enough to see their effects and must be based on some sort of tactical plan. The problem I see is that he fails to adjust to short time game decisions and sticks too long with his chore players even when ice cold, like last night.

For example,Howard was not a factor last night except to neutralize Yao, yet Foyle was looking reborn again. Why not use him or Augustine together with Howard specially after all those fouls? Like you mentioned, Dooling comes in from no minutes to almost 40 mins while he left Carlos in the bench when he was being pretty effective offensive wise.

Whats the message he will give all these players that are seeing this less than appropiate decisions? After all they do know some basketball. Will this build their confidence on his coaching abilities? Doubt it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rich2572:

It is not time to fire the head coach. Some of us Magic fans are like the Dolphin fans in S Florida....quick to fire! Our problem is the players are NOT executing! Poor shot selection and poor defense is why we lose those close games!

I'm a dolphins fan so don't get me started. One the most incompetent franchises as of late. The magic are a better team than the stupid dolphins. At least they entered the playoffs 6 times this decade.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:

quote:

I sense the schizophrenic tone of his coaching decisions seems to be afecting their roles and confidence specially Jameer and now I feel Howard.

I am a backer of Stan and changes but only if he lets them ride enough to see their effects and must be based on some sort of tactical plan. The problem I see is that he fails to adjust to short time game decisions and sticks too long with his chore players even when ice cold, like last night.

For example,Howard was not a factor last night except to neutralize Yao, yet Foyle was looking reborn again. Why not use him or Augustine together with Howard specially after all those fouls? Like you mentioned, Dooling comes in from no minutes to almost 40 mins while he left Carlos in the bench when he was being pretty effective offensive wise.

Whats the message he will give all these players that are seeing this less than appropiate decisions? After all they do know some basketball. Will this build their confidence on his coaching abilities? Doubt it.

At least you guys make sense out of some things.

SVG did a good job in Miami of having his team playing their best ball in time for the playoffs. We got off to such a great start, but at the expense of massive playing time for the starters. I think he has to go through a period of trying different lineups etc. to at least get our starters a little rest and not wear them out over the course of the season.

I agree with saucemoney. Enough with this 50/50 crap! Stick with one startup line and that is it. Forget about if Nelson is the future, if he is NOW start him, if not give him backups minutes. This is killing the confidence of a lot of players. I dont agree about us using lots of guys to "show" them. This is not MACYS!!! We can not afford to keep losing because THEY dont know which way they want to go. I think there is a lot of insecurity in the ORGANIZATION right now and is trickling down to the players. Rashard is carrying a heavy load with that ridiculus contract, hedo is outplaying him, and with Nelson is the same thing, most of the time he gets outplayed. We are the Magic for the love of God not the you know who BULLS!....Wait a minute at least they did not overpaid!

All i can say about SVG is i hate his lineups, i know he is not in the BEST situation but still.. He comes out and bashes our team has done so on 2 occasions on my count so far this year one was after a win...another thing i had floor seats to the game against the rockets and i did not hear him say one thing that was positive, every thing i heard him say he was either yelling out a play, or yelling at a player for what he did wrong, i don't think he needs to be fired that wouldn't be fair to him or the team but i just hope we don't let this season get away from us..