Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Winning, Why?

Please answer these three questions:

1)Why did the team win at the end of last season (16 and 4)?

2)Why did the team win at the start this season(13 and 4)?

3)Why are we apparently winning now? (Maybe playing better would be the more appropriate way to put it after the loss to Boston)

Please answer these three questions:

1)Why did the team win at the end of last season (16 and 4)?

2)Why did the team win at the start this season(13 and 4)?

3)Why are we apparently winning now? (Maybe playing better would be the more appropriate way to put it after the loss to Boston)

1) BHill said the team didn't have the chance to learn his system.

2) Other teams hadn't figured out his system.

3) Sterner is now calling the shots.

Sterner is not calling the shots. He assists in gameplanning, but if you think for a minute that Hill is not OKing everything, then you are in a fantasyland.

We are playing the grinding style right now that Hill wants to play. This is HIS gameplan, don't kid yourself.

No one gives Hill credit for what he is doing right now. It's hypocrisy. Basically the FIREBRIANHILL.NET idiots don't have a leg to stand on, and they are now making things up so they don't look foolish.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

Sterner is not calling the shots. He assists in gameplanning, but if you think for a minute that Hill is not OKing everything, then you are in a fantasyland.

We are playing the grinding style right now that Hill wants to play. This is HIS gameplan, don't kid yourself.

No one gives Hill credit for what he is doing right now. It's hypocrisy. Basically the FIREBRIANHILL.NET idiots don't have a leg to stand on, and they are now making things up so they don't look foolish.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I almost thought you were serious there for a second. Then I realized that your post was laced with hints of sarcasm. Nice post.

The run at the end of the season last year was the result of our team playing loose without the constarints of B Hill's system bogging them down.

The run at the beginning of the season indeed did come before our opponents were able to make adjustments to counteract B Hill's system (we were also healthy).

We are only on a 2 game winning streak right now, so I don't know if I would call it a run. However, we have been playing better of late. Once again, we are healthy. And, I must give B Hill credit here. He has tried a few new things that previously I thought we would never see. He has recognized how to utilize our payers in a rotation that takes advantage of the player strengths rather than magnifying their weaknesses.

Obviously there was no sarcasm there. Nice attempt at discounting what I said. And of course you have to give Hill credit. That's what I am saying, so good to see you agree.

People who have played this game and know what to look for can see that Hill runs a playoff style offense all year. He grinds it out, and runs when the opportunity is there. People who don't grasp hooops whine about Redick not playing, but they don't go to pracice, they don't know what Hill sees when he works on defensive rotations for the next week of games.

It takes a long time to learn Hill's scheme. Is he the best coach in the league? No. But what he is doing now is tightening up the rotation and seeing who will be on the playoff roster.

Hill's scheme will prepare the Magic for the playoffs. They will be ready to go, instead of some teams that have to slow down their offense from 82 games of running. It is an advantage. Sterner has put in some nice running plays too to compliment this and add balance.

The thing some people don't know is that it takes half a season to really get comfortable in an offense. Fanboys on here are screaming RUNRUNRURNRUN when the players have yet to master the base offense.

It's common sense. Young team..new scheme...it takes a while for it all to come together. This is in practice and in games.

i agree with everything that catman said. i would insert diener and subtract redick in his comment regarding people whining on this board about pt though. that is, since redick is showing a more pronounced improvement in his game.

I really think it's more about the players than the coach. These players, when they're on the upside of they're youthful play, are good enough to even overcome Brian Hill's predictable play-calling.

No seriously.

For example, take Trevor Ariza. How many of his good plays are impromptu and have nothing to do with what Hill says from the sideline? Offensive rebounds, putback lay-ins, pressure steals, big blocks, etc. These plays are 90% hustle and instincts, 10% mental preparation.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Magic players this season only seem to respond to severe criticism or pressure? Otherwise, they're going through the motions. Like when Otis Smith went with the team on their early season 6 game road trip and called it a "business" trip.. or when Otis called them out in the papers. Or when Brian Hill had had enough and broke his clipboard.

If you notice, a lot of the Magic's wins or good performances this season come after their pride has basically been challenged.

I still believe what I believe in the beginning of the season. B. Hill is nowhere near the Coach of the Year, but the players' destinies are pretty much in their own hands. When they're in a down swing, pretty much nothing this side of Red Auerbach is gonna pull them out.

But when they're playing their best ball, every team from Dallas on down to Memphis should take notice, Brian Hill or no Brian Hill.

(LOL, let the flaming begin!)

ANSWERS TO THREE QUESTIONS:

1) BHill acknowledged that the new players Milicic, Arroyo, and Ariza didn't have time to learn his system and he was going to let the team play more freely. The result was a free flowing game with good motion and BHill's choke hold on the offense released.

2) Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Smack Daddy, Hutchenson, and The Solution agree that the other teams hadn't made adjustments to Brian Hill and the schedule was against weaker teams. The board and many had been hollering for adjustments but Brian Hill was stubborn and held fast. That's why the following statement became popular: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting different results"

3) It is too early to assess whether we have a winning streak but we are playing better and it has to do with Brian Hill making adjustments. Here are some of the adjustments he has made:

(a) Seldom posting up Howard and Milicic and letting them score in the flow of the game.

(B) Playing fewer players with more minutes and favoring the players that are playing better at that moment.

© Making sure that we have 3 point threats on the floor to increase floor spacing (plays Ariza at power forward to allow more playing time for Turkoglu), even if they are struggling somewhat. Turkoglu and Redick also give us excellent free throw shooters on the floor.

(d) More movement away from the ball and less standing around.

(e) Pushing the ball up the floor every time looking for easy

baskets.

(f) Turkoglu is attacking the basket like the end of last year. He is being pushed hard by the coach and by the talk about being traded.

Catman,

You talked about Brian Hill playing a grinding style of offense and that we, who want a new coach, are idiots (FOR THE RECORD, there are 835 who have signed the petition to date).

In previous posts you said that, (1)"He (BHILL)needs to change the offense though, no doubt about it." You also said, (2)"I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that Dooling is a good PG is a very poor assesser of talent." Which Catman do we have today?

I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA for you and murphy to answer the questions raised in this thread.

We're winning now, because we quit giving Dwight the ball so much. He's not that kind of player yet. He turns the ball over way too much, and he can't make free throws consistently. When he's working in the low post, our offense pretty much stops.

Recently, we've been relying on our perimeter game a lot more. It's kind of an outside-in strategy, rather than an inside-out one. I like it, because everyone gets involved, and there's a lot more variety to be had. Dwight still gets his touches, and it doesn't require our offense to stop.

quote:

someone's on crack?

quote:

It's common sense. Young team..new scheme...it takes a while for it all to come together. This is in practice and in games.

What common sense if you don't have any? This team has been together for a year already, when should we expect good chemistry in 3 years?

So the team won two in a row against crappy teams and all of the sudden he's done a great job all season? Were you living under a rock?

-Yes he's finally figuring out JJ can play decent defense and Dooling can play PG (still hasn't figured out a rotation he's perfectly comfortable with). Why? because there won't be any. The answer is not stick to a permanent rotations and make no changes but to adjust according to which opponents your facing, if a player is hot or not on a given night, etc.

Hold on, why am I wasting my time.. I have a new policy of not wasting time in discussions with dimwits.