Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Fun Free Agent Comparison:

According to 82games.com, here are Rashard's OPPONENTS' PERs for this year and the last couple of years:

2007:

SF 11.8 Opponent PER

PF 13.2 Opponent PER

2006-2007:

SF 15.5 Opponent PER

PF 21.0 Opponent PER

2005-2006:

SF 18.6 Opponent PER

PF 23.5 Opponent PER

This is why I'm pleased with Rashard's defensive play. Playing in a much better situation in orlando, RASHARD'S OPPONENTS' PER HAS DROPPED OVER 25% SINCE LAST YEAR. This is encouraging. Even with limited touches, he has improved his defensive intensity.

=)

Seriously, I think it's more encouraging that Rashard has developed strong defense under SVG. His offense will come, we all know he is a gifted offensive player.

As a surprising comparison, check out Gerald Wallace's Opponent PERs this season:

2007:

SF 20.2 Opponent PER

PF 17.4 Opponent PER

Of course Dwight Howard has an impact here, but by PER, Rashard's defensive assignments are the least productive of all defensive assignments of Magic starters.

Also of interest, Dooling and Arroyo are holding their opponents to similarly low PERs - in fact, their opponents are doing the least good, statistically, of anyone else.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

According to ESPN, here are Rashard's PERs for this year and the last couple of years:

2007: 15.49 PER

2006-2007: 20.78 PER

2005-2006: 20.04 PER

This is why I am disappointed in Rashard's play. Playing in a much better situation here in Orlando, RASHARD'S PER HAS DROPPED OVER 25% SINCE LAST YEAR. This is troubling. Even with limited touches, his play should have significantly improved, not declined.

Would you rather him focus on getting his points to the detriment of the team? Seriously... his touches are limited, his play has been marvelous at times, spotty at others, but the overall impact to the team, the record we have so far, that is what it's about.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

According to ESPN, here are Rashard's PERs for this year and the last couple of years:

This is why I am disappointed in Rashard's play. Playing in a much better situation here in Orlando, RASHARD'S PER HAS DROPPED OVER 25% SINCE LAST YEAR. This is troubling. Even with limited touches, his play should have significantly improved, not declined.

Would you rather him focus on getting his points to the detriment of the team? Seriously... his touches are limited, his play has been marvelous at times, spotty at others, but the overall impact to the team, the record we have so far, that is what it's about.

PER is much, much broader than points scored. Do you know what it is/stands for? http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=h...nger_john&id=2850240

quote:

quote:

quote:

PER is much, much broader than points scored. Do you know what it is/stands for? http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=h...nger_john&id=2850240

Yes, it's Holingers little made up overall efficiency rating, and while it gives a picture of overall performace, for the sake of argument, I refered only to points.

The point being, he isn't forcing his game. He isn't the go to guy on the team, he isn't carrying the Magic on a nightly basis. His role here is much different than it was on the Sonics. To expect his stats to increase simply because of the contract he signed, or because you want to see improvement from one year to the next doesn't mean it will or even should happen.

You also have to take into account things stats don't look at, like the change in his situation, playing predominantly at the 4, a new team, new coach, new offense. He doesn't penetrate for those high percentage shots he used to get in Seattle, is this his fault? Who knows?

I personally think its a combination of things, one is his learning the new offense and playing out of position, another is SVG's offense. Rashard even commented after a game that it isn't as easy to drive to the hole here with Dwight getting double teamed because the lane is clogged.

There are a multitude of things happening, and I personally would much rather see him play within the structure of the offense instead of forcing the issue.

Some people will say he was brought here to score, period. I tend to be of the opinion that he was brought here to help us win games. Could he pick up his production? Could he drive to the hole more often? Is he doing what SVG wants him to do is the only question I would like to know, and I haven't seen anything from SVG ot make me think otherwise.

Basketball is a team game, and when evaluating someone's effectiveness, I think you ahve to look beyond individual stats. In this case, I think you attribute a significant amount of Dwight and Hedo's increased production to the addition of Lewis.

Can this be quantified? No, it can't, it's opinion based on my observations and beliefs. Predominantly leaning on the fact that Hedo is playing better than he ever has for the Magic and with more consistency. At his age, I wouldn't have expected such a change from year to year. I believe that the focus of the defense more so on Lewis and Dwight allows Hedo to play this way, and Lewis stretching out the court allows Dwight to showcase his talents more efffectively.

Uhm... ok, I typed so much I forgot what I was talking about... hope I made my point already, if not, maybe I will try again after another drink.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, it's Holingers little made up overall efficiency rating, and while it gives a picture of overall performace, for the sake of argument, I refered only to points.

The point being, he isn't forcing his game. He isn't the go to guy on the team, he isn't carrying the Magic on a nightly basis. His role here is much different than it was on the Sonics. To expect his stats to increase simply because of the contract he signed, or because you want to see improvement from one year to the next doesn't mean it will or even should happen.

You also have to take into account things stats don't look at, like the change in his situation, playing predominantly at the 4, a new team, new coach, new offense. He doesn't penetrate for those high percentage shots he used to get in Seattle, is this his fault? Who knows?

I personally think its a combination of things, one is his learning the new offense and playing out of position, another is SVG's offense. Rashard even commented after a game that it isn't as easy to drive to the hole here with Dwight getting double teamed because the lane is clogged.

There are a multitude of things happening, and I personally would much rather see him play within the structure of the offense instead of forcing the issue.

Some people will say he was brought here to score, period. I tend to be of the opinion that he was brought here to help us win games. Could he pick up his production? Could he drive to the hole more often? Is he doing what SVG wants him to do is the only question I would like to know, and I haven't seen anything from SVG ot make me think otherwise.

Basketball is a team game, and when evaluating someone's effectiveness, I think you ahve to look beyond individual stats. In this case, I think you attribute a significant amount of Dwight and Hedo's increased production to the addition of Lewis.

Can this be quantified? No, it can't, it's opinion based on my observations and beliefs. Predominantly leaning on the fact that Hedo is playing better than he ever has for the Magic and with more consistency. At his age, I wouldn't have expected such a change from year to year. I believe that the focus of the defense more so on Lewis and Dwight allows Hedo to play this way, and Lewis stretching out the court allows Dwight to showcase his talents more efffectively.

Uhm... ok, I typed so much I forgot what I was talking about... hope I made my point already, if not, maybe I will try again after another drink.

Good post. Obviously, the biggest stat that matters is wins. Yet a good PER reflects good overall efficiency and NOT forcing the scoring agenda. Thus, you can average 10 points and have an amazing PER (i.e. Calderon). Here I expect Rashard to have a PER over 20 with his contract and history. I would guess that he would expect the same from himself, too.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

They see our record, see Dwight's numbers, and come to the logical conclusion that Rashard is influencing the team in a very positive way. Many informed analysts probably attribute Hedo's explosion to Rashard playing the 4 as well.

And where are all these articles or analyst interviews? The only article I remember reading is the one championing Hedo as an all-star candidate this year.

quote:

Hedo turns the ball over a lot and shoots a lower percentage on all spots on the floor.

hmmm...Might want to check actual stats before you start pulling things out of your butt.

Hedo is shooting .005 worse than Rashard. Five one hundredths is neglegible.

Also Hedo has twice as many assists (actually 7th in the NBA in assists per game among forwards) as Shard and runs the point forward for us during a majority of the possessions. When you look at the fact that Hedo averages less than 1 TO per game than Shard, wouldn't you determine that Shard "turns the ball over a lot" since he hardly ever handles the ball?

This arguement is ridiculous. Shard isn't what a single one of us expected. He's soft. He's one dimensional. He doesn't have the ability to be a go to scorer. Etc. Etc.

The only thing we all knew entering this campaign is that Shard is indeed preposterously overpaid.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

They see our record, see Dwight's numbers, and come to the logical conclusion that Rashard is influencing the team in a very positive way. Many informed analysts probably attribute Hedo's explosion to Rashard playing the 4 as well.

And where are all these articles or analyst interviews? The only article I remember reading is the one championing Hedo as an all-star candidate this year.

quote:

Hedo turns the ball over a lot and shoots a lower percentage on all spots on the floor.

hmmm...Might want to check actual stats before you start pulling things out of your butt.

Also Hedo has twice as many assists (actually 7th in the NBA in assists per game among forwards) as Shard and runs the point forward for us during a majority of the possessions. When you look at the fact that Hedo averages less than 1 TO per game than Shard, wouldn't you determine that Shard "turns the ball over a lot" since he hardly ever handles the ball?

This arguement is ridiculous. Shard isn't what a single one of us expected. He's soft. He's one dimensional. He doesn't have the ability to be a go to scorer. Etc. Etc.

The only thing we all knew entering this campaign is that Shard is indeed preposterously overpaid.

he is over paid, but he is not as bad as you are making out to be. he needs more plays run for him. especially when pf are on him. pin downs and curls plays should be run like how the mavs do for dirk and howard. but time will tell.

watch the Dallas game. watch the screens, pine downs, and curls used for dirk and howard. that is how you get your player like lewis easier shots.

my thought are that we havent seen the best of lewis. i remember him scoring 40pts on us, once, two years ago. this is the first 2 months of a 6yr deal.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

quote:

To me, it is encouraging that, out of my enormous post, you were only able to find two small snippets to contradict yourself against me with.

We're both Magic fans, we both want to see our team win. We both want to argue with each other. But common ground is awesome. And respecting the majority of my opinions, as I respect the majority of yours, is strong common ground. Good stuff.

In any case, I believe it to be extremely foolish to consider Hedo Turkoglu a better player than Rashard Lewis. Basing opinions on less than 30 games of a single season is not very wise. Furthermore, if you do not consider the role of positions for these two players, it is even further foolish.

I find it disappointing that Rashard takes such a beating. Please, consider Hedo playing the 4 and Rashard playing the 3. Switch their roles and have the offense place the ball in Rashard's hands in cases where Hedo currently receives the ball. Seriously consider that scenario before any further criticism of Rashard takes place. I mean, SERIOUSLY consider that in all aspects, defensively and offensively. Then get back to me with a compelling argument.

If SVG was so inclined to silence Rashard doubters, he could easily place Rashard at the 3 spot and put Hedo at the 4 and then run the offense through Rashard and relegate Hedo to a 3rd option, spot up role.

And when one contends that, in this case, Rashard was the incorrect solution for our scoring needs, consider my arguments of complimentary players versus Rashard. Let's get this debate going.

EDIT: Removed "you" because this post is not solely directed at SmackDaddy. Replaced "you" with "one", to indicate this could be directed to anyone.