Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Fun Free Agent Comparison:

Now that we're 1/3 of the way through the season, I thought it would be interesting to look at player production and the contracts signed from a few of the free agents we were discussing all Summer.

Shard (6yr/118m) - 39.2mpg, 18.8pts, 5.5 reb, 2.6ast, 1.08stl, 160th PER48

Billups (4yr/47m) - 33.9mpg, 17.8pts, 3.3reb, 7.5ast, 1.23stl, 30th PER48

VCarter (4yr/62m) - 36.8mpg, 20.7pts, 5.1reb, 4.5ast, .75stl, 73rd PER48

Wallace (6yr/57m) - 36.2mpg, 18.5pts, 5.1reb, 2.1ast, 1.95stl, 178th PER48

G HIll (2yr/4m) - 34.9mpg, 15.9pts, 4.7reb, 3.6ast, 1.1stl, 100th PER48

If there is anybody that I have left off that you specifically thought the Magic should target with our free agent dollars, I apologize. Feel free to add their stats to the thread for comparison.

I would like to se what kind of feedback this generates regarding the choice the Magic made. Let's keep it fresh and interesting. None of the following crap.

One Prediction - "We're 17-9, what does it matter."

Second Prediction - "It's not your money."

Third Prediciton - "Beating a dead horse again."

Now that we're 1/3 of the way through the season, I thought it would be interesting to look at player production and the contracts signed from a few of the free agents we were discussing all Summer.

Shard (6yr/118m) - 39.2mpg, 18.8pts, 5.5 reb, 2.6ast, 1.08stl, 160th PER48

Billups (4yr/47m) - 33.9mpg, 17.8pts, 3.3reb, 7.5ast, 1.23stl, 30th PER48

VCarter (4yr/62m) - 36.8mpg, 20.7pts, 5.1reb, 4.5ast, .75stl, 73rd PER48

Wallace (6yr/57m) - 36.2mpg, 18.5pts, 5.1reb, 2.1ast, 1.95stl, 178th PER48

G HIll (2yr/4m) - 34.9mpg, 15.9pts, 4.7reb, 3.6ast, 1.1stl, 100th PER48

If there is anybody that I have left off that you specifically thought the Magic should target with our free agent dollars, I apologize. Feel free to add their stats to the thread for comparison.

I would like to se what kind of feedback this generates regarding the choice the Magic made. Let's keep it fresh and interesting. None of the following crap.

One Prediction - "We're 17-9, what does it matter."

Second Prediction - "It's not your money."

Third Prediciton - "Beating a dead horse again."

Shards holding his own IMO. How much he's earning is something he can't control. The question for me is about his court performance. It hasn't been stellar, but he's on my team and I'm a homer.

I don't like using Per 48 numbers because they are flawed just like PPG numbers. For instance, Vince Carter is nowhere near playing up to the level his per48 numbers would suggest.

However, besides Shard, it would have been nice to get a guy like Billups here. He is getting there in age, but he has matured and improved every year, and is lights out in big situations.

His addition to the Magic has accomplished what they wanted: drawing attention away from Dwight.

But I'm not really sure you can give him a lot of bonus points for that. It's being done based on his reputation, not really based on his performance this year.

The side I haven't seen from him this year that you would see, at times, in Seattle is his willingness/ability to take a game over (i.e. - hang 40+ points on a team).

Not only have I not seen him do it, I've not seen any indication from SVG that he wants him to do that, which is the great mystery to me in all this.

I'll concede that it's a bit too early to draw any final conclusions, as it is obvious that all parties are attempting to define roles here, but somewhere along the line, we're going to have to quit using that excuse.

Hopefully they fix it before the screws get any tighter.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

There's a big male elephant in the room that is very hard to see. His name is........OTIS.

..hehe

Darn it, no wonder no one saw him. Everyone keeps looking for the PINK elephant !!!

I think the big elephant is Rashard's contract.

Interesting to see a few guys say things like:

"Shard's holding his own"

"Lewis is a good player"

etc

etc

Rashard is our 3rd leading scorer with the 3rd biggest contract in the NBA. That is sad.

What makes it even worse is looking at the production of the other players we could have signed at 1/2-1/3 the price.

Hey Smack, does the 160th per 48 mean that's where Shard is ranked? Because if it does that stat "stuns" me just as much today as it did the other day when you posted it.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Hey Smack, does the 160th per 48 mean that's where Shard is ranked? Because if it does that stat "stuns" me just as much today as it did the other day when you posted it.

Yep, 160th in the league.

And for those fans that don't like per 48 stats (even though they were used here to compare players that all get substantial minutes with their teams), Shard is ranked 57th in the NBA in PER overall.

Rashard has been disappointing to me and to that massive contract. Yes, he must improve a lot.

But I am trying to keep in mind that he is playing out of position and with a new team.