Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

It was a hell of a movie, as long as you don't care about historical acuracy.

I'd take Gladiator over it though.

Gladiator WAS and IS better.....

300 concentrated the whole story on the battle, but of course it is based on a book/graphic novel of the battle. So based on that it was well done. Not much of the backstory.

There's plenty of other ancient battles that chould/should be made into movies.....Troy was pretty good too, but not as good as 300 or Gladiator.

I just think the fight scenes alone are enough to earn this a place at the top.

The battle when the two guys took on like 50, right before the son got his head chopped off, has to rank among the top 5 fight scenes of all time.

Along with Kill Bill (Crazy 88's scene), Matrix Reloaded (Castle and Vampire's scene) Also Lord of the Rings had some great fight scenes.

(I guess I am only comparing fights with weapons) oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:
Originally posted by athena:

ya see what us greeks are made of!!

lol ; )

I see. Now you're claiming to be a Spartan? I just assumed "athena" meant you were from Athens? lol.

I believe the Spartans called the Athenians "boy-lovers" in the movie.

All in fun buddy. lol.

*cough* err... ancient greeks were bi sexual...(it was considered totally natural behavior)*cough*

Ugh, I guess they left out them giving each other sponge baths after a long day of killing persians.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:

ya see what us greeks are made of!!

lol ; )

I see. Now you're claiming to be a Spartan? I just assumed "athena" meant you were from Athens? lol.

I believe the Spartans called the Athenians "boy-lovers" in the movie.

All in fun buddy. lol.

*cough* err... ancient greeks were bi sexual...(it was considered totally natural behavior)*cough*

Let's add some historical context to those comments courtesy of our friends at Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty#The_Greeks

The practice was called Pederasty.

Gladiator can't be put into the same category as 300. For one, Gladiator actually concentrated on acting, and developing the story. 300 was just one long fight scene, then they added in a bit of acting to make it passable. Granted, I liked 300, but you have to take it for what it is worth: a two hour fight scene. Gladiator actually developed characters and a story line, and for that reason, is a far better movie.

The movie was Gladiator meets Sin City. It was a good movie but not better than either of them.

I left a little disappointed but only because it was hyped up so much that my expectations were a little unrealistic.