Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

Hey Rashard DOUBTERS... doubt his VALUE to our team a little much??

If you put any weight into the stuff 82games.com reports on, specifically related to +/- stats like the Roland rating, Rashard is by far our 2nd best player.

After Dwight, Rashard is our only player with a substantially positive effect on our team's performance. In terms of his effect on our team in relation to other big names, Rashard is up there with the likes of Dwyane Wade, Kevin Martin, Tony Parker, and Tracy McGrady.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ORL.HTM

Looking past the Roland Rating, the more detailed +/- stats all show Rashard having around twice the positive effect overall on our team than Hedo has, our third most effective player.

Also note that Rashard's defensive assignments are performing quite a bit worse than Hedo's defensive assignments. Rashard is holding his defensive assignments to an average of a paltry 11.5 PER while Hedo's opponents are around the league average of 15 PER.

Basically, on our team, Rashard is doing a lot more good for our team than just his stats indicate. And I'd be willing to guess that Hedo's superb numbers are a direct result of Rashard being on the court, not vice versa.

quote:

The Roland Rating

While some are content to use conventional stats like points, rebounds, and field goal percentage in assessing player contributions, a better gauge of a player's worth to a specific team might come from looking at the difference in how the team plays with the player on court versus performance with the player off court.

This rating isn't an absolute measure of a player's ability, but it does represent how successful a player is with a given team. In general the player with the best Roland Rating on a team is the difference maker (exclude the guys who play a statistically insignificant number of minutes). When the top guy is on the floor the team performs at a much higher level.

These ratings represent a player's value to a particular team and are not intended to be an accurate gauge of the ability and talent of the player away from the specific team.

http://www.82games.com/rolandratings0405.htm

If you put any weight into the stuff 82games.com reports on, specifically related to +/- stats like the Roland rating, Rashard is by far our 2nd best player.

After Dwight, Rashard is our only player with a substantially positive effect on our team's performance. In terms of his effect on our team in relation to other big names, Rashard is up there with the likes of Dwyane Wade, Kevin Martin, Tony Parker, and Tracy McGrady.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ORL.HTM

Looking past the Roland Rating, the more detailed +/- stats all show Rashard having around twice the positive effect overall on our team than Hedo has, our third most effective player.

Also note that Rashard's defensive assignments are performing quite a bit worse than Hedo's defensive assignments. Rashard is holding his defensive assignments to an average of a paltry 11.5 PER while Hedo's opponents are around the league average of 15 PER.

Basically, on our team, Rashard is doing a lot more good for our team than just his stats indicate. And I'd be willing to guess that Hedo's superb numbers are a direct result of Rashard being on the court, not vice versa.

quote:

The Roland Rating

While some are content to use conventional stats like points, rebounds, and field goal percentage in assessing player contributions, a better gauge of a player's worth to a specific team might come from looking at the difference in how the team plays with the player on court versus performance with the player off court.

This rating isn't an absolute measure of a player's ability, but it does represent how successful a player is with a given team. In general the player with the best Roland Rating on a team is the difference maker (exclude the guys who play a statistically insignificant number of minutes). When the top guy is on the floor the team performs at a much higher level.

These ratings represent a player's value to a particular team and are not intended to be an accurate gauge of the ability and talent of the player away from the specific team.

http://www.82games.com/rolandratings0405.htm

quote:
Originally posted by SauceMoney:

Lewis is trash. Up there with D wade Lebron Tmac, yea right. Thats crazy. No we need to trade him for one of those players.

A poor assessment in every facet of your post. I'm not even sure I can respond properly without the point being completely lost with you. I would hope that you're joking, but I know from your other posts that you are not. I can't even say anything else about this.

Me thinks Lewis' "effectiveness" is strongly influenced by the fact he's logged more minutes with D12 than any other player and D12 is far and away the most effective player on the team.

80 more minutes than Hedo, 9% more, or just under 4 extra minutes per game on average.

When you consider the dramatic +/- influence of D12 on the court with this team, 9% is actually a fairly substantial difference between 2 players who otherwise log very similiar minutes.

The fact Hedo is the player on the floor when D12 isn't says a lot IMO about who SVG feels is more effective carrying the load as the man! How often did you see MJ & Pip off the floor together? Stockton & Malone? Kobe & Shaq?

Secondly, any analysis of defense in terms of pts. scored against should be considered incredibly raw data at the very best unless this site tracks every second of every game.

I can't imagine this analysis consists of anything more than taking the box score totals and make rough comparisions. In that case, this analysis would fail to account for two very significant issues.

1) Hedo & Rashard often switch defensive assignments.

2) The small forward position is a more traditional scorer and consistently score more than power forward across the league.

Simply assigning Rashard the box score production of the opponents PF and Hedo the production of the opponents SF and attempting to draw significant conclusions in terms of comparing the defensive performance of these two is incredibly flawed as a result.

quote:
Originally posted by SauceMoney:

Lewis is trash. Up there with D wade Lebron Tmac, yea right. Thats crazy. No we need to trade him for one of those players.

That HAS to be sarcasm. It just has to be.

i don't think sauce is not bright he is just not a fan of the orlando magic. because if he was he would not have anything negative to say about any orlando magic players. now if we had someone holding out for a ridiculous amount of money than maybe yes but rashard is not(although i kind of wish he would not have signed that offer and told otis that he was willing to sign for less)but he is not ball hogging nor is he doing anything to directly hurt the team(drama, off-court incidents, etc).

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Me thinks Lewis' "effectiveness" is strongly influenced by the fact he's logged more minutes with D12 than any other player and D12 is far and away the most effective player on the team.

80 more minutes than Hedo, 9% more, or just under 4 extra minutes per game on average.

When you consider the dramatic +/- influence of D12 on the court with this team, 9% is actually a fairly substantial difference between 2 players who otherwise log very similiar minutes.

The fact Hedo is the player on the floor when D12 isn't says a lot IMO about who SVG feels is more effective carrying the load as the man! How often did you see MJ & Pip off the floor together? Stockton & Malone? Kobe & Shaq?

Secondly, any analysis of defense in terms of pts. scored against should be considered incredibly raw data at the very best unless this site tracks every second of every game.

I can't imagine this analysis consists of anything more than taking the box score totals and make rough comparisions. In that case, this analysis would fail to account for two very significant issues.

1) Hedo & Rashard often switch defensive assignments.

2) The small forward position is a more traditional scorer and consistently score more than power forward across the league.

Simply assigning Rashard the box score production of the opponents PF and Hedo the production of the opponents SF and attempting to draw significant conclusions in terms of comparing the defensive performance of these two is incredibly flawed as a result.

Strongly influenced? A 9% increase in court time with Dwight doesn't account for a solid 2x increase in net production per 100 possessions when Rashard is on the court compared to Hedo.

Also, in reference to your argument against my defensive analysis of opponent PER (i.e. Defensive PER), PER is not a scoring rating. Many other statistics, all based on per-40 minute production, are included, such as shooting percentage, assist ratios, rebounding numbers, and turnover ratios. All of which are utilized in a manner that does not place emphasis on scoring.

One could argue that, across the teams we've played so far, that opposing small forwards have been more talented than opposing power forwards, but in the end, PER is scaled to prevent any bias based on the position being played. I'll hand that to you, but not as a point that undermines my primary argument.

Anyhow, about Hedo / Rashard switching assignments, 82games accounts for this stuff... this is why Rashard HAS logged nearly 15% of his time at SF according to 82games. Also note Hedo's poor numbers (below league average of 15 PER) when he's at the PF position...

I think this analysis should help prove to everyone that Rashard is by far the 2nd most valuable piece to this team and that he has a very positive effect on our team's performance that is not easily replaced by anyone else that has filled in at PF on the team.

Nonetheless he has a sparkling 21.9 PER when he's playing SF... more fuel to the "we need another PF" fire right there.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

Strongly influenced? A 9% increase in court time with Dwight doesn't account for a solid 2x increase in net production per 100 possessions when Rashard is on the court compared to Hedo.

When you say production, is that a representation of points scored? Or does it take into account reb, stl, ast, etc.?