Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

How fantastic was Carlos Arroyo tonight?

I think not many people here have been following Arroyo's career for very long to think that this was his best game ever. He had an 18 point, 13 assist game back in Utah, very Steve Nash-esque. He also had a 30 point, 7 assist game with the Jazz. Those two would probably be the best games of his career, and he still only played 28 minutes a game for the Jazz. I gotta say though, this game was a close third. Very good game for him and a very good win for the Magic.

i always knew arroyo could put up a ratio like that! ****, arroyo has amazing ball handling skills and can drop a dime through the smallest windows. A true PG performance. Many of his previous games, i've seen him look for a mid range shot or one of his favorite off-balance jumpers, but this game against the sonics, he enlightened me to a whole new carlos arroyo. The fast, agile, pass-first carlos arroyo.

CA played well.... In the past I've said he does not need to score in order to help the magic. I believe he needs to continue to play at this level in order for the magic to offer him a contract in the off season. If the magic offer him a contract it'll be the same kind of money they offered DeShawn Stevenson last year.

I also noticed SVG is starting to have confidence in him.

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

i always knew arroyo could put up a ratio like that! ****, arroyo has amazing ball handling skills and can drop a dime through the smallest windows. A true PG performance. Many of his previous games, i've seen him look for a mid range shot or one of his favorite off-balance jumpers, but this game against the sonics, he enlightened me to a whole new carlos arroyo. The fast, agile, pass-first carlos arroyo.

I've always said if a coach told Arroyo he wasn't allowed to shot, he had the potential to be a decent floor general.

Fast however, is really pushing it. If Carlos didn't have a yo-yo handle, he wouldn't have a chance of playing in the NBA.

Speaking of athleticism, I think Hollywood needs a remake titled Hispanics Can't Jump. I think JJ Redick has a higher vertical than all the Hispanics in the NBA combined.

I'll honor my friend ibonedteribell (sorry if I misspelled it). I remember a while ago when after an extraordinaire game from Arroyo all the press had to say was very minimal and ibone posted a symbolic protest msg here. I just checked the recap from NBA.COM about the game and to my surprise the only mentioned of Arroyo's excellent execution that night was a single sentence giving away his stats for the night. They attribute ALL the glory of that victory to our king D12 (which he deserved much part of it of course!) and nothing about the person who connected with him and created the situations allowing him to be in the position to be able to score. It was very disheartened for me watching how the press, even though that this is not the first game were Arroyo had a very good night (but the previous game he had a great game as well), the press (NBA.com) just decided to bury him. Not the first time it happens. It makes me wonder. All commentators are talking about him as a great backup and one of the reasons (our bench in general but him specifically at the point guard position) we are having an extraordinary beginning of the season. Even Lewis, who had a terrible night, was all over the news. I think Arroyo deserved at least a paragragh and Bogans as well. Even JJ had more space than him! LOL! Amazing!

Oso, this time I noticed but withheld comments. The mystery is the reason behind it. Carlos is an affable guy with the press and I can only infer there is that lingering subliminal memory of that Olympic defeat by an unlikely foe. Can any one find an explanation to this?, since I would hate to accept this reason from the press.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Oso, this time I noticed but withheld comments. The mystery is the reason behind it. Carlos is an affable guy with the press and I can only infer there is that lingering subliminal memory of that Olympic defeat by an unlikely foe. Can any one find an explanation to this?, since I would hate to accept this reason from the press.

We usually don't get any press (although that seems to be changing lately) so when we do the writers are going to lead with the names that people know. JJ is well known from Duke and Dwight is well known because he is a monster. Outside of Orlando and PR, I don't think Carlos is that well known so when he has a great game like that he unfortunatley will take a back seat to those guys.

I don't think the media has any personal vendetta with regard to Carlos. Argentina beat the U.S. and they still love Ginobili.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

We usually don't get any press (although that seems to be changing lately) so when we do the writers are going to lead with the names that people know. JJ is well known from Duke and Dwight is well known because he is a monster. Outside of Orlando and PR, I don't think Carlos is that well known so when he has a great game like that he unfortunatley will take a back seat to those guys.

I don't think the media has any personal vendetta with regard to Carlos. Argentina beat the U.S. and they still love Ginobili.

Yeah I don't think it is because of Olympics 2k4, I think it's more a matter of who is famous with the media. Put Arroyo and Lebron with triple double stats and Lebron will probably receive more coverage and attention.

In this particular game, JJ actually played and had a good shooting night, Howard totally dominated and Lewis is Lewis, and is a former Supersonic so they will always analyze thinking the former player who comes back to the former local arena and stuff like that. Arroyo is like the odd man out. Since Carlos wasn't a top scorer, he didn't even show in ESPN's table of leaders of the game.

Anyway, I think it was fair to let him have his coverage, it was a career high after all.

Once again, I hope he keeps this up but makes his shots. A PG always needs to score or be able to hit shots because, apart from increasing the score, it helps them distribute since the defense will worry more about them.

It will take a coachable attitude and a great coach.

What would suck is that he follows with one or two really bad games, then all the good warm feelings people got from the Sonics game will dissapear and angry feelings will emerge....

and it will be pointed out by the press, just how bad the PG play was.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

I've always said if a coach told Arroyo he wasn't allowed to shot, he had the potential to be a decent floor general.

Fast however, is really pushing it. If Carlos didn't have a yo-yo handle, he wouldn't have a chance of playing in the NBA.

Speaking of athleticism, I think Hollywood needs a remake titled Hispanics Can't Jump. I think JJ Redick has a higher vertical than all the Hispanics in the NBA combined.

Hi Mr. Gabriel....Maybe not in the NBA. If you want to see a Hispanic that can Jump. Please refer yourself to the On-going Volleyball World tourment that is going on Japan and look for the name of Hector "Picky"Soto and try to find any highlight of him killing the ball and you will see a hispanic that can really Jump!

Regards,