Sign in to follow this  
NameLess Scrub

How should we guard the Celtics' big three?

Punch KG in the junk and then run, run, run.

Or just play basketball. Play good D, watch your turnovers, play to win and don't play to not lose. The usual.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Ummm, you about 4 days too early.

Let's worry about Cle, then NJ, THEN we can talk about Boston.

Nyce, I have to say I disagree with your point, but defend our right to make it. <---Disclaimer.

We, as fans, have the luxury of looking ahead. Players on the other hand, do not. You are correct, as well as the gentleman who agreed with you, that we should take it one game at a time. IF you mean WE as in the MAGIC team.

The players need to stay focused. Their main concern being the big 3 of New Jersey in Kidd, Jefferson and Carter.

The fans on the other hand can look, wonder and analyze any game they want. I doubt very seriously(and if you can offer proof to the contrary I would be very interested in looking it over) that the Orlando Magic would be effected in ANY way by their fans discussing the Celtics game on the Orlando Magic Message Board.

So in that respect, why not let this guy ask and discuss anything he wants? If its too early for you to partake in this discussion, come back Saturday morning after the Nets game. The thread will still be here.

But for those who dont mind talking about the Howard/KG(his idol) match up, and dont want to have to wait till saturday to apease all those who want to take it "one game at a time", this thread is here. Thats the beauty of a "thread title" you can actually see what is being discussed. If you dont want to talk about it....dont click on it.

Nothin but love for ya Nyce.

TheGodfather

quote:
Originally posted by The Can Opener:

quote:
Originally posted by love#12:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

Ummm, you about 4 days too early.

Let's worry about Cle, then NJ, THEN we can talk about Boston.

Ya one game at a time.

GO MAGIC!!!!!!!

I don't understand, one game at a time? No one on this board is playing in the game, nor do our talks of future games affect the mindset of our players. So if we chose to not focus on a game because its boring and talk about a much more exciting game, we somehow throw off the focus of the players?

Thats the best part of being a fan, we CAN look ahead.

ummm......my above post can pretty much be summed up by this guy. Sorry. Should have read each post before going off on a rant.

Nice insight The Can Opener!

TheGodfather

quote:
Originally posted by Sain:

Perkins is the other big.

They have a similar play style to us.

Shard (Catch and shoot) vs. Allen (Catch and shoot)

Turk (Slash and shoot) vs. Pierce (Slash and shoot)

Dwight Vs. KG

Nelson vs. Rondo

Need foyle to be in there for perkins

I am not so sure you need to worry about Perkins. If you watch the Celtics play, it is really 3 guys against 5 and the other 2 do only one thing each primarily. Rondo sets up the offense and Perkins scraps for rebounds.

Only way Rondo or Perkins ever seem to score is on an assist from KG.

Seems to me the Celtics need to be discussing how they are gonna handle OUR big 3. DH, Lewis, and Hedo.

I just hope that they decide not to guard Bogans or Jameer.

The best way to handle their big 3 may be to score 120 points.

CELTIC FACTS -

1)The only team the Celtics have beaten that have a current winning record is the Denver Nuggets.

2) The Nuggets were playing there 3rd game in 4 nights. The loss against Boston was on a back to back where they coughed up a huge lead to the Knicks and lost a demoralizing game in New York. Reportedly they arrived in Boston at 4am.

3)In the Knick game Melo got hurt and it showed in the Celtics game where he only scored 11 points.

4)Nuggets looked tired, just like we did against the Suns. Against the Nuggets the Celtics were coming off of 3 days of rest.

5)The Celtics have only played 3 road games all against teams that have a record of .500 or less.

6)The Celtics have only had 2 sets of back to back games, none against teams currently with winning records, but after those back to back games they have had at least 2 days of rest. The Magic have had 4 sets of back to back games. Of those 4 sets 2 of them have seen the Magic receive only one day of rest. When the Magic play the Celtics it will be their 4th game in 6th days and will be on the first half of their 5th back to back set. That will also be the 3rd set of back to back games where the Magic will have only one day of rest before heading in to San Antonio.

The Celtics will not have a back to back set with only one day of rest until November 30th. Then after November 30th they will not have another back to back with only one day rest until December 29th.

7)On the flip side the Celtics have a total of 10 games that follow a back to back set with only one day of rest. 6 of them occur after the All Star break and half of them on a West coast road trip. Whereas the Magic have only 9 all season of which only 2 are after the All Star Break.

8)If you are looking at schedules and teams we have played versus what the Celtics have done and will do. the Magic have had a much tougher schedule to start off and the Celtics have had a ton of rest between games this year compared to the Magic. Also the Magic have a great schedule after the All-Star break, whereas the Celtics will have a schedule like the Magic have now.

We have the defenders to contain them. Dooling always plays Allen tough. Ariza and Bogans will alternate playing Pierce. Then we have Dwight and Foyle to guard Garnett. Its just a matter of our guys winning their individual matchups. Easier said than done but its definitely possible.

Boston is a really really good team. What has surprised me the most is that they are a good defensive team as well as offensive team. They also are very hungry. KG has looked like a man possessed. I remember a game earlier in the year where Glen Davis converted a 3pt play and Kg was right there in Davis' face immediately. The two of them started screaming at each other for like a full minute, chest bumping and spit flying, and they were maybe 2 inches from each others faces. I think someone put the ghost of William Wallace in Kg. I almost expect him to paint his face and start screaming FREEDOM at some point in the season.

Dwight can handle KG one on one.

I am not shure if Lewis can handle Pierce. I would rather see Lewis on Ray Allen. Lewis is tall and knows how Allen plays.

I would put Ariza on Paul Pierce.

I would start Foyle

Jameer can hold his own.

Let Hedo light up the second unit for that game.

If we can keep Dwight out of foul trouble, getting cheap fouls, against KG, then I think we have a very good chance to beat the Celts, I also like Pats' idea of banging KG up with the warlock!!! don't think it will happen though, Darn!!!

I would hope we keep our winning line up in, but the entire boston team is dangerous, and if you DO watch their games their entire bench contributes very effectively.

I think that jameer could have a real big day against rindour.

Boston is going to be a very tough team this year. All three stars are playing unselfish and know they don't have many years left to win it all.

Boston is what Miami was four years ago. They have a probable two year window to win it all before age catches up.

I keep reading all this Howard on KG one on one stuff and although that sounds great and im sure it will happen at times throughout the game, the problem with that is if you have our 5 guard their 4(KG) then we are going to have Hedo(who has been playing the 4 mostly, not Lewis like we thought) guarding Perkins. Perkins outweighs Hedo by 60 pounds. Hedo actually matches up a little better against KG than Perkins in my opinion. Obviously he will need double team help at times.

Plus I do not think we will have Howard on KG all night because we will need to keep Howard out of foul trouble. We all know Stan is going to do whatever he can to keep Dwight out of foul trouble because if Dwight takes an early seat then we can kiss this game goodbye.

Anyways either way it is going to be hard to match up against them and I predict a lot of double teams coming on KG from Bogans and Nelson. Hopefully we can rotate well enough to keep Pierce and Allen from tourching us.