Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

Are HDMI cables worth it?

I recently bought a new JVC hdtv and I got the digital cable all hooked up. I absolutely love it, if I had known what I was missing I would have bought one a long time ago. Anyways I have it hooked up with component video cables at the moment and I was wondering if a HDMI cable really makes a difference. Also does it matter what kind brand of cable that I get. I don't really want to spend 100 bucks on a cable but I did spend over 2 grand on the TV so maybe I'm just being a cheapskate. Thanks fellas.

I recently bought a new JVC hdtv and I got the digital cable all hooked up. I absolutely love it, if I had known what I was missing I would have bought one a long time ago. Anyways I have it hooked up with component video cables at the moment and I was wondering if a HDMI cable really makes a difference. Also does it matter what kind brand of cable that I get. I don't really want to spend 100 bucks on a cable but I did spend over 2 grand on the TV so maybe I'm just being a cheapskate. Thanks fellas.

Yes, HDMI cables improve the quality of movies and the graphics of gaming dramatically. I have one as well, and yes it makes a very large difference. I would say go for it. I bought mine for $89.99 at target and it looks great.

When I got my HD service from BrightHouse, it came with the HD cables. All I had to do is plug it in and its good to go. However, other then the HD channels, the quality of the other channels are poor. I have a weird setup though, because I use Tivo, so by running through one more section might take away from the picture. But the HD is amazing.

Also, is anyone else going to watch Planet Earth on Discovery HD this Sunday???? It looks AMAZING! I can't wait!!!

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

When I got my HD service from BrightHouse, it came with the HD cables. All I had to do is plug it in and its good to go. However, other then the HD channels, the quality of the other channels are poor. I have a weird setup though, because I use Tivo, so by running through one more section might take away from the picture. But the HD is amazing.

Also, is anyone else going to watch Planet Earth on Discovery HD this Sunday???? It looks AMAZING! I can't wait!!!

OMG, the Discovery channel is by far my favorite channel now. I literally watched an hour special on ants and wasn't even remotely bored.

When I got the HD channels I watched more Discovery channel than I ever had before. It's amazing! Sometimes I will just put it on when I am just sitting around and not really watching anything just as a background kinda thing. I know more about meerkats now than I will ever need to know.

I only watch the HD channels now a days....Comcast gave me the cables with the receiver also so I did not have to buy them, now I can see a difference between the HD programs and say my DVD player that is hooked up with S video cables. Discovery is by far the best HD channel ever. The quality on non HD channels is very poor, not sure if it is the service or the cables, I would think it is the cheaper cable company (comcast). Funny thing is that regular channels look like crap in my HDTV with the HDMI cables, but they look just fine in my regular TV's with Coaxial cables in the room.

I noticed the same thing Dave. I was flipping between regualar CBS and Hidef CBS when I was watching the tourney last night and regualar CBS was really blurry. Then I went into my bedroom and turned on my regular TV and the picture was fine. I was wondering if I was the only one.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

When I got the HD channels I watched more Discovery channel than I ever had before. It's amazing! Sometimes I will just put it on when I am just sitting around and not really watching anything just as a background kinda thing. I know more about meerkats now than I will ever need to know.

I love Mythbusters. Never to old or mature to have fun watching things being blown up, smashed, or meeting other tragic ends.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I noticed the same thing Dave. I was flipping between regualar CBS and Hidef CBS when I was watching the tourney last night and regualar CBS was really blurry. Then I went into my bedroom and turned on my regular TV and the picture was fine. I was wondering if I was the only one.

If your TV has multiple inputs (most do)then you can hook it to the cable with coax and with the HDMI. That way if you need to switch it you just click input on your remote and change it from HD to cable.

Bhnole, Mythbusters is great. My favorite one is the one with the cement truck. They couldn't get all of the cement out so they loaded it up with 800 pounds of blasting agent and when they finally blew it up the entire truck dissapeared. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

quote:
I literally watched an hour special on ants and wasn't even remotely bored.

I saw that one, amazing. I love Sunshine Earth. It comes on at 7 am, so its perfect to put on when you get up in the morning. No talking, no music, just the HD picture and natural sounds.

And as for Planet Earth this Sunday... It is suppose to be the greatest nature show of all time! It's a cant miss.