Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

important poll question to me....everyone please vote!

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

Murphy-Unless you are actually the one giving birth, you need to consult your lady on this. You didn't give us her thoughts. Just trying to keep you from having to sleep on the sofa for the next 12 months.

Read my mind. Get both sides of the family involved. Another use the name of someone from your personal life or history that really has been influential in your life. Any way many movie stars change their names officially with no hassles. But the most important part congratulations on your coming gift, enjoy and set the example you didn't get from Dad.

thanks iboned! who is teri bell anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

i really appreciate your input andie, i still dont know what i am going to do...

i need more votes! its too close to 50-50!

Just relax. You have loads of time. And, perhaps, when you see your son you just may come up with the perfect name for him. What a wonderful time in your life!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

You could go be Murphy Murphy and be really original!

I voted for Jonas. I like things that are unique and Jonas is a pretty unique name. I was also trying to think about what it would have been like if I was named after my dad and I think I like it better that I had a different name. Kids want to have a style and personality of their own and I think having a different name is part of that.

I don't know your family but I don't think it is a slap in the face to go with a new name, the last name is the family name anyhow.

you brought up some very interesting points, mod. much appreciated!

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Murphy is a great Irish last name. How 'bout a more traditional Irish first name?

i like that idea, but i havent really seen many traditional irish first names that jump out at me...you?

I've always liked Connor and Gavin.

Andie already mentioned Sean and Patrick (I see that you obviously like that one already).

I really like my middle name. I gave my son the same middle name. This was one way to pass on a name and yet still avoid the "4th" moniker.

I like both names Murphy, but I voted for John Paul in the end. I like the idea of keeping the tradition of the name going.

Here are some traditional Irish names if your interested: Cian, Liam, Fionn, Cillian, Ciaran, Tadhg, Cathal, Darragh, Cormac, Ronan.

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in February, we decided not to find out if it's a girl or boy, we like surprises!!

The above names were some we were considering if we have a boy. Although we've now decided to go with James, Francis. We can't settle on a girls name at all.

Best of luck Murphy, hope everything goes well.

greeks are really into giving family names. there isn't a greek family on earth that doesn't have cousins all named georgos or yiannis and girls named maria.

i'm named after my great grandmother myself! (thank goodness it's a rare name!)

but besides all that. this has nothing to do with tradition. unbiased decision here, but i really like patrick.. i think it's b/c i had a crush on a boy at school with that name...plus the irish in me is speaking.. (yes, i have irish blood as well as greek)

unbiased did i say?*cough* lmao

do you want him to be the pope? if not, don't pick john paul. the very first thing i think of when i hear that name is the pope. I don't think it's a good idea to have that connection, idk why.

and plus, it seems like you prefer jonas patrick. why pick a name just for family tradition considering you might regret it later on.

pick whatever you like best. ignore the other superficial details.

a lot of people think that, but the family name was around since before the previous pope, so its something that the next generation probably wouldnt even think of.