Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

important poll question to me....everyone please vote!

my son is due to be born in early january. i am trying to think of a name for him. i have it narrowed down to two. i will list them both and give my thoughts, i would like to hear yours, as i dont know what i should do:

john paul murphy IV : i am the third, he would be the fourth. i like the idea of tradition, and i feel like he will be very successful in his lifetime. so this name would be fitting. a couple things though...first, i dont really like my name terribly much. i dont dislike it, but its kinda old fashioned. also, and more importantly, my dad (the II) is a complete turd and more or less ruined my family when i was growing up. i dont really talk to him much, nor do i really care about what he has to say...should i look past this? or:

jonas patrick murphy: i really like this name, but it would almost seem like a slap in the face to my family and heritage. everyone that i havent asked but has decided to give their opinion anyway thinks that this name rocks. its obviously cooler than john paul. i am torn. what do you think?

my son is due to be born in early january. i am trying to think of a name for him. i have it narrowed down to two. i will list them both and give my thoughts, i would like to hear yours, as i dont know what i should do:

john paul murphy IV : i am the third, he would be the fourth. i like the idea of tradition, and i feel like he will be very successful in his lifetime. so this name would be fitting. a couple things though...first, i dont really like my name terribly much. i dont dislike it, but its kinda old fashioned. also, and more importantly, my dad (the II) is a complete turd and more or less ruined my family when i was growing up. i dont really talk to him much, nor do i really care about what he has to say...should i look past this? or:

jonas patrick murphy: i really like this name, but it would almost seem like a slap in the face to my family and heritage. everyone that i havent asked but has decided to give their opinion anyway thinks that this name rocks. its obviously cooler than john paul. i am torn. what do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchence:

I voted for Jonas Patrick. "My name is Jonas" is my favorite song by Weezer and I have always loved that name. Plus I am pretty anti traditon.

I love that freaking song.

Murphy, I am also a "3rd."

I made the decision long ago that I would not name my son the "4th."

Even if you have a relatively common/normal name like "John Paul," it can become an issue if you attach the "4th" to it.

However, I think that "Jonas" is pretty close to "John." If you are wanting to move away from the family tradition angle, you might consider a name other than these two.

Murphy is a great Irish last name. How 'bout a more traditional Irish first name?

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Murphy, I am also a "3rd."

I made the decision long ago that I would not name my son the "4th."

Even if you have a relatively common/normal name like "John Paul," it can become an issue if you attach the "4th" to it.

However, I think that "Jonas" is pretty close to "John." If you are wanting to move away from the family tradition angle, you might consider a name other than these two.

Murphy is a great Irish last name. How 'bout a more traditional Irish first name?

Like Hornswaggle.

Murphy-Unless you are actually the one giving birth, you need to consult your lady on this. You didn't give us her thoughts. Just trying to keep you from having to sleep on the sofa for the next 12 months.

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

Murphy-Unless you are actually the one giving birth, you need to consult your lady on this. You didn't give us her thougths. Just trying to keep you from having to sleep on the sofa for the next 12 months.

normally i would agree with you andie, but this is my decision. besides she picked our daughter's first name already. she likes both names, but for the reasons i mentioned initially. so she wasnt much help in deciding.