Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

important poll question to me....everyone please vote!

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchence:

He'll have to do that anyway, the baby will be in the bed with the missus!

That didn't stop some people I know from ...AHEM

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

my son is due to be born in early january. i am trying to think of a name for him. i have it narrowed down to two. i will list them both and give my thoughts, i would like to hear yours, as i dont know what i should do:

john paul murphy IV : i am the third, he would be the fourth. i like the idea of tradition, and i feel like he will be very successful in his lifetime. so this name would be fitting. a couple things though...first, i dont really like my name terribly much. i dont dislike it, but its kinda old fashioned. also, and more importantly, my dad (the II) is a complete turd and more or less ruined my family when i was growing up. i dont really talk to him much, nor do i really care about what he has to say...should i look past this? or:

jonas patrick murphy: i really like this name, but it would almost seem like a slap in the face to my family and heritage. everyone that i havent asked but has decided to give their opinion anyway thinks that this name rocks. its obviously cooler than john paul. i am torn. what do you think?

I voted John Paul just because I think it's a nice name. Sounds good and elegant. I don't like it very much is Spanish (my language), but in English it sounds good.

I don't really care very much about name tradition. I think having the same last name and other similarities makes for some family tradition without necessarily having the same name.

Even more important is the union in the family. Discussing about having a IV in the family or not is not that important when the family itself has issues between themselves. I don't really know what happened between you, your family and your father, but I hope you can get over it soon. Best wishes man.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Murphy, I am also a "3rd."

I made the decision long ago that I would not name my son the "4th."

Even if you have a relatively common/normal name like "John Paul," it can become an issue if you attach the "4th" to it.

However, I think that "Jonas" is pretty close to "John." If you are wanting to move away from the family tradition angle, you might consider a name other than these two.

Murphy is a great Irish last name. How 'bout a more traditional Irish first name?

i like that idea, but i havent really seen many traditional irish first names that jump out at me...you?

...aside from hornswaggle...

Murphy-Even though I am a female, I am a IV. My daughter is not a V. I went with a completely different name and no one said one word about it. Don't feel as if you have to live up to others expectations. Having said all of that, I voted for John. I just like the name better.

quote:
Originally posted by andie:

quote:

NAS-TAY!

quote:

Murphy-Unless you are actually the one giving birth, you need to consult your lady on this. You didn't give us her thoughts. Just trying to keep you from having to sleep on the sofa for the next 12 months.

Read my mind. Get both sides of the family involved. Another use the name of someone from your personal life or history that really has been influential in your life. Any way many movie stars change their names officially with no hassles. But the most important part congratulations on your coming gift, enjoy and set the example you didn't get from Dad.

The Solution:

Call him John (pick another middle name) murphy

Pick a middle name that you would like to call him and let the son decide later on in life as to what he prefers. We did this with our son and he has gone back to using his first name. It was his choice.

You could go be Murphy Murphy and be really original!

I voted for Jonas. I like things that are unique and Jonas is a pretty unique name. I was also trying to think about what it would have been like if I was named after my dad and I think I like it better that I had a different name. Kids want to have a style and personality of their own and I think having a different name is part of that.

I don't know your family but I don't think it is a slap in the face to go with a new name, the last name is the family name anyhow.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

quote:

NAS-TAY!

My feelings exactly!!!

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:

Murphy-Unless you are actually the one giving birth, you need to consult your lady on this. You didn't give us her thoughts. Just trying to keep you from having to sleep on the sofa for the next 12 months.

Read my mind. Get both sides of the family involved. Another use the name of someone from your personal life or history that really has been influential in your life. Any way many movie stars change their names officially with no hassles. But the most important part congratulations on your coming gift, enjoy and set the example you didn't get from Dad.

Hey I join.. congratulations man. Hope you get to be a great dad.

BTW, I'm a II, but no one really mentions it or uses it, and I have never lived with my father.